Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When can I pick up my 20 pounder?

sarajossarajo Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had L5/S1 Spinal Fusion 2 weeks ago. When do you all think I can lift my 20 pound 1 yr old baby boy?

The physical theropist at the hospital said 3 months, the doctor said 6 weeks or sooner, the assisting doctor said maybe even 3 weeks! I cant imagine 3 weeks with the pain I am still in!

The fusion I had was to remove an aged disc caused by a spondylolisthesis, and to also fix the spondo. They used titanium cage and pins around synthetic bone.

• I've had 2 surgeries (an L5/S1 fusion and a hardware removal) and the weight limitations have been the same for both:

- For the first 6 weeks: 2-3 pounds maximum
    - From 6 weeks through 3 months: up to 10 pounds
    - After 3 months: up to 25 pounds
    - Lifetime restriction (probably after 6 months to a year): no more than 35-40 pounds

My surgeon told me that for at least the first 3 months, I should only lift weights/objects/children from waist height. You should not pick anything up from the floor (at least not anything weighing more than several pounds).

Use the above as nothing more than one doctor's guidelines. Every doctor is different. Follow your own doctor's instructions and you should be fine.

Good luck with your recovery.
  • Yes I take everything I see in posts as advise and that is all...I always ask my doc... :-) I go to my post op tomorrow, just wanted to see others experiences with this.

I just cant wait till I can hold my little one again. He turned one last week and started walking like a pro last week as well! Now he walks to me with his arms up and cries when I cant lift him up. Breaks my heart! :-(( Also I have to have someone with me 24/7 since I cant lift him and my husband left yesterday on a 2 month business trip out of the country. Bad timing I know! /:)

/:) /:-)
  • I got the okay to lift 20 lbs when I was 3 months post op. I try not to though, if I can help it.
  • I got the okay to lift 20 lbs when I was 3 months post op. I try not to though, if I can help it.
  • My grand baby is roughly 22lbs. At 3 months my doc told me to go ahead and try it. BUT, lifting properly, not all day long, and not for long periods of time. He said if I get pain flareups to stop it and try again a couple of weeks later.

I was able to pick her up about half dozen times last week for about 5-10 minutes at a time. I did feel it afterwards a bit. I wouldn't want to do it everyday.