Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Man I hate that

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
So I turn up for my appt today at the pain clinic, 8.30am on the dot, hubby stayed home from work to take 6yr old to school and look after 4 yr old while I was out.
Go up to the receptionist and say i'm here for my appt, she says "that was yesterday!". :T
#@$$%$^R#%^%^&#%&%@@$%^@%^@%^@%$ L)
So I made a new appt for 15 March, went outside and cried my eyes out. :''(
Dammit, I was really ready to talk to someone about the pain and what else we can do.
Oh well, I guess it's only 3 weeks away.
It's just a pain as for a week i've had nausea, vomiting and upper left abdominal pain that's getting worse, so I guess i'm just tired of new things cropping up all the time.
Hubby wants me to see someone today about the pain, but I just can't face another doctor right now.
Hope you are all having a better week than I am.
Thanks for listening to my ranting vent.

• Sorry to hear that happened and that is one of my biggest fears too. I don't always get a confirmation call and I will even call to confirm my own appt LOL. Are you okay with your refills til 3/15? Don't feel bad- this can happen to anybody. Handling chronic pain on a daily basis along with everything else in life is very difficult indeed. Take care
  • I'm so sorry to hear what happened.Couldn't they work you in somewhere during the day?Do you have enough meds to hold you over til your appointment?Your post made me double check my next appointment,which is this Wednesday.I'm sorry for the confusion.Just keep your chin up girl,you've been doing so well since the first time I read one of your posts.Peace and Love.....Mark
  • I'm so sorry to hear what happened.Couldn't they work you in somewhere during the day?Do you have enough meds to hold you over til your appointment?Your post made me double check my next appointment,which is this Wednesday.I'm sorry for the confusion.Just keep your chin up girl,you've been doing so well since the first time I read one of your posts.Peace and Love.....Mark
  • for your comments. I'm fine for meds thank goodness, we have a different system in Australia, we get our meds from our gp and the pain clinic make recommendations on meds and anything else that can assist with chronic pain.
    I just want off the narcotics so much I was looking forward to the appointment, i'm fine though.
    Right now I have bigger things on my plate so the appt was just annoying, driving in peak hour, long time sitting in car etc. In big scheme of things it's no biggie.
    My main concern is this abdomen pain i've been getting, it's getting worse, started Left upper side just under ribs accompanied with nausea, vomiting, hiccups, was always worse after eating, now the pain has increased to include the right lower side, it's pretty overwhelming pain. I'm having an ultrasound tomorrow, it's only pelvic u/s though probably won't show much.
    On the bright side it's taking my mind of my back pain :)
  • Be careful as the abdomen pain could be something to do with your appendix!! I would get it checked out immediately, even if it means going to the ER, if you're vomiting, along with the pain anyways.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I'm so sorry to hear of your bad day. It's good to hear that you have enough of your medications to last you until your next visit.

I wish you luck during your ultrasound tomorrow and hope you get the results, real soon. Do the ultrasound results get sent to your GP?

Best wishes for getting your abdominal pain under control. Can you take any antacids? What about nausea medication? I am a really big baby when it comes to nausea. I hate that feeling and feel so sorry for others when they have nausea or stomach problems. My brother and I are 8 years apart. Whenever he had an ear infection when he was little, the pain from it would cause him projectile vomiting. I would literally have to put my hands over my ears and say, "La, la, la, la, la," really loud repeatedly... otherwise I would get sick from the sounds he was making in the hall bathroom. Thank goodness I outgrew that feeling, as I'd look a bit strange doing that around my kids when they get sick to their stomach!

Please let us know how your ultrasound goes and everything else.

Thinking of you,

• I've thought of that and i'm keeping an eye on it, i've just had too many bad experiences with hospitals ie. doctors not being able to find the cause and ending up calling me a head case that i'm trying to avoid that if I can.
    Thanks for the advice though, that's why I love this place, people care.
  • Thanks for your kind words, the gp does get the results, but alas he's away for a month, I guess if it's anything nasty someone will call me.
    I have stemetil and maxalon and have been taking both of those, I haven't vomited too much it's more the nausea.
    My brother is like you except he hasn't grown out of it and we can't even talk about it or any bathroom topics even what my daughters call bottom burps or he will vomit, it can be quite amusing if we're bored hehehehe.
    Hubby's just come home early from work and he's taking the girls swimming, so i've taken an extra dose of pain killers and i'm going to bed, despite it only being 4pm.
    Thank god for Macdonalds or the kids would starve as hubby can't cook.
    U/S tomorrow was requested more for nausea, severe headaches and 3 periods (sorry guys) in 6 weeks. Stomach pain started after I saw the doc, so i'm not too hopeful that anything will show up tom.
    Man my posts just keep getting longer don't they! Must be the drugs. 8}
  • Thats extra terrible when you're sick on top of the pain. I'm no doc but I had terrible nausea, vomiting, burning, etc and had docs scratching their heads. Bout the time I got my pain relatively under control after my second fusion, it all disappeared. At least the majority of it. I had lost almost 35 lbs in 4 months and I'm only 170 to begin with. But I started keeping track and my problems with nausea, burning, vomiting, etc and found that it related almost exactly to the amount of pain I was experiencing. Thats when I started taking my pain management seriously and quit trying to be such a tough guy. I got my pain to a manageable level and my apetite came back, stomach problems went away, etc. Anyway, I hope things work out for you. I just thought I'd throw that out there as I'm a firm believer now that pain can cause the body to do all kinds of strange things. Good Luck
  • IMM -I am so sorry this happened to you. I too would have sat in my car and had a mini meltdown - depending on the day it may have been a major meltdown lol ;);;I

hope the U/S does show what is happening in there.

Please keep us updated :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Humble pie- I'm pretty diligent with the pain relief so i'm not so sure it's that, but i'll keep a diary and see what happens thanks for the idea
    Ms Humpty- It was only a small meltdown, but I felt better after it, why is it women cry at the drop of a hat? The u/s is this afternoon, I have to have bilat. knee x-rays at the same tiime as i'm seeing my ortho next month about knee replacements so that should be fun.
    P.S I sent you a PM about your daughter.
  • I've done that before myself. It is so hard to keep track of all the appointments sometimes. If you have a cell phone you could program it in. That's what I've been doing and it really helps. Otherwise I get all "dyslexic" and mix up the times or dates for appointments.

Hope the pain lets up for you soon :)
  • The phone idea would be great if my phone stayed charged for more than a day, plus I always forget. I'm just not the sort of person who can't live without their phone, in fact i'm allergic to talking on phones, I HATE IT.
    Besides, I wrote the appt on the calendar as I was on the phone making it, I just wrote it in the wrong damn spot! L)
    I'm such a ditz sometimes.
  • I'm sorry to hear that. I slept in my appointment and still got there 35 minutes late. They sent a letter saying that they would charge $100 if the first appointment was missed and I told the Receptionist I can't afford the $100. She said it was up to the Dr. so after a few minutes I said I'll make the next appt. I really wanted a female PM Dr. I went yesterday to my first appt. and they never mentioned the 100 dollar charge thank goodness. I have to go next week for an ESI and possible facet joint injections if she sees any tight muscles during the exam for the ESI she'll also do them. Sorry you have to wait longer for your appt. Best wishes for your upcoming appt. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not the only this happens to. Take care. >:D< Prayers too. O:) Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i don't understand why it is hard to keep track of appointments or times. I have a calendar and i write down the time and date on it. if a dr does not call to remind me of an appointment, which most do, i will call a couple of days earlier and confirm the time and date. get a calendar and write down the days and times. some people say they don't have enough time to keep track, well it only takes about 10 seconds to write down appts. not to say i am perfect, but i have never missed an appointment with a doctor. if they have a different time and date than you then tell them that this is what i have written down. i think most doctors will be accommodating and try to fit you in. if you don't have a good relationship with the doctor or the staff, then they might say you have to make a new appointment. this is really bad if you have a pain doctor. you don't want to run out of pain meds. this is why it is important to keep good relationships with doctors and staff. don't complain, whine, yell, etc. be cheerful and happy when you go into the office. doctors don't like negative patients and they don't want to deal with them. if they don't like someone, they will make things uncomfortable for you.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Kylie, LOL, I'm allergic to phones too! You wouldn't believe the anxiety wrapped up in my calling to make an appointment with a new doc this week (and getting my films from my old doc, hah!).

But for Christmas, my husband got me an awesome Android phone. I can do all of my fun stuff on it, like Facebook and Twitter. I find myself carrying it all the time despite myself!

And, it has a great calendar feature that syncs with Google so I can have my schedule no matter where I go :)

Try it, you'll like it!

By the way, I am terminal about forgetting stuff. I have such a reputation now! But really, pain does that to you (and the meds make it worse), so try not to beat yourself up about it.
  • Good news- pelvic ultrasound was normal nothing wrong with the nursery (suspected it would be as the pain is higher up)
    Bad news- my right knee has deteriorated with the arthritis used to be just patellofemoral, now medial.
    The left knee is even worse used to be just medial now all 3 medial, patellofemoral and lateral.
    Looks like that knee replacement is closer than I thought. Seed ortho next month so we'll see.
    On the bright side, if I stop hobbling because of my knees, perhaps my back pain will improve.

"Always look on the bright side of life dede dededede" to the tune of Monty Python.
    Hope everyone is having a great day and thanks for all your lovely comments.
This discussion has been closed.