Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 days away and losing my resolve!

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I think I must have multiple personalities! I seem to be all over the page. One moment I'm confident, the other I'm sure this will get postponed a 4th time, then convienced I am healed and no longer need surgery, only to experience tremendous pain and wish it was yesterday!

What gives?

Our car was broken into Thur night when my hubby was at a "business dinner". We thoughtfully "gave" someone our laptop, camera and his briefcase and in exchange, someone "gave" us a broken car window. My hubby is in sales and many new sales contracts had just be obtained, so as a result he had to go out of town to redo what he could. We had planned on him being here, and I had begun to open up to him ( I go into my cave when I am scared/upset~role reversal I know).Now I feel like someone has riped my security blanket away from me.

Tomorrwow is also my last day of work. Recently, we have had a bummer of a time with coworkers going on medical leave. One passed away unexpectedly and the other's husband coded on the table during an outpatient shoulder surgery. This has caused a bit of fear/uncertainty.....sometimes others don't filter what they say. It only takes one person to say what's been in the back of my mind.... I love my job so very much! Saying "until next time" makes me so sad! 3-4 months in the life of a baby and their family seems huge!

I worry if emotionally I will be able to handle "house confindment" with little/no sitting! I hope I don't develop yet another personality! LOL :)

Thanks again for giving me a place to feel safe enough to vent! I don't think I could tell non"spiney's" my heartfelt thoughts xxxxx Shari

• The fact that you still have one is a good sign! Stick with the positive and try not to drown yourself in the unknowns. I know that sure is what scared me the most. So I had to toss it out the window, and focus on what I was certain of...things like I was strong, had faith in my surgeon, and that surgery was my first step back towards some semblance of a normal life! Life sure knows how to send us curveballs, and boy sometimes the old adage "when it rains, it pours" is FAR too fitting!
    But sometimes all you can do is stick to what you know, and what you do have! Hang in there!

Sending lots of positive thoughts and strength your way!

• Try to remember, you aren't being banished to Siberia. You can visit your peeps at work within a couple weeks of surgery. Some people have returned to work sooner than 3 months...it will just depend on your healing and how soon you feel like going back.

There would be something wrong with you if you didn't feel apprehensive about upcoming surgery. @) Try to just accept that this is a very emotional time for you and you are going to go through a variety of emotions. This will be true after surgery as well. The anesthetic is not kind to hormones!

I'm glad you get some support and can release some built up tension on the board, with your spiney support team!!

Get a good night's sleep and think positively.

Hugs --
  • I go into my cave or shell when I'm upset or not feeling well - part of how I was brought up. Hope your surgery goes ahead this time. Any stress opens up the pain gates even more.

Once I had my surgery date, I had some good days and I was sure on those days that I didn't need surgery and then I thought about all the rotten days. I'm 4 months post-op now and life is returning to what it was about 5-6 years ago.

I found it hard in the early part of my recovery with being confined at home but kept remembering advice about working on my attitude and to keep looking forward to better times. Today I can do most things except sit and stand for longer periods.

I hope all goes well for you on the 26th and when you can, do let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi,
    I'm scheduled for a revision surgery in April 2010. I had the initial ant/post spinal fusion l5/S1 in Sept 2008. The superior fused but the inferior did not.
    The surgery pain was excruciating. I was just wondering if the pain was gonna be the same as before. It may sound like a silly question, but I just need to know because I'm getting nervous and just wanted to prepare my mind.
    Thanks for commenting.
  • Stay positive. Thousands of ops take place here every day....but you only ever discuss the ones that go bad....success stories are often forgotten about!

I had ADR surgery last October and never doubted that I was doing the right thing. I did worry about things going wrong...but you wouldn't be normal if you didn't! I always had it in my head that my life would change after the op....and it did! It was the best decision I have ever made.

My surgeon was also very positive....I knew that some ops weren't successful, but I remained positive.

My friends and colleagues popped in to see me at home, which was lovely. But after surgery....you will want to rest and will spend a lot of time sleeping! You can sit, but your body will prompt you to get up, believe me. So I saved my sitting for mealtimes with my family and just laid down and walked around the rest of the time.

BE POSITIVE AND GO FOR IT.........!!

Good luck!
  • Keep that sense of humor. It has helped me more in the past few days than you could ever imagine. Being worried and uncertain happens to most of us before a big surgery. Or even a simple outpatient procedure. If you have that faith in your Dr, and faith that this is going to have a positive effect on your life then GO for it. The 3 month period post op worked well for me once my pt was perked up a bit. I am feeling pretty darn good for the first time in 7 months. Other than some soreness that flares up occassionally, I am happy I finally had my fusion. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

• You will be just fine. The jitters are normal. Use the "jitter energy" to get last minute things done:organize the house for your comfort, buy a grabber, cook a few things for the freezer, etc.

Best of luck, everything will be just fine. As for the confinement issues: rent movies from netflix, read, do a hobby; at least the worst of winter will be (hopefully) gone.

Take care, Lisa
  • If it isnt one thing its another, isnt it? Keep your sense of humor. It will all be OK. Just remember, you will soon be on the mending end of it, and looking forward to walking in sunshine!
    Remember the positive attitude is 50 % of the whole process. You have a great team, your Dr and nurses, Husband and family, and all of us here rooting you on. Just remember to do exactly what you are told. My Dr was very firm about this. You will be spending alot of time with your Dr, so you want to keep a good repore by doing what he/she says. I know it wont be long and you will be sending us an update that everything went fine and you are home doing well. I will be thinking of you and for all the hugs you sent me...here is a BIG one back >:D< and a silly one to make you smile! 8} Love, Robin

• and sharing your apprehension.
    Have you got everything ready at home for your recovery? Done all your shopping?
    What about things to keep you amused once you start to feel a bit better?
    You have lots of friends on here that you will be able to chat with - have you got a plan to be able to use your computer while lying down. (I haven't sorted that one out yet.)

Just before my MRI, my symptoms seemed to disappear and I was sure that they were going to tell me that there was nothing wrong. What a shock when they told me the extent of my spine problems. You know that your problem isn't going to get better on its own. This is the way forward to your 'better life'. Just think of how you will be able to do your job much easier, once your back is sorted.

I need you to encourage me after your surgery, that all will be well for mine.
    We can chat to each other while we recover.

Stay calm, take a deep breath and let your surgeon do his work. (Remind me of what I advised you, Shari, when it is my turn!!!)

Gentle hugs and lots of prayers for you.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    This last surgery was # 6 for me so it was nothing new. (LIE) everything is new each time and each time the circumstances are different.
    When I was of sound body and mind. I made the decision to get this surgery. After totally dissecting the pros and cons. after the decision I second guessed anything and everything. But it all meant nothing. Because I had already gone over everything, while in a better mind set. And made my decision.
    So during the last week, I kind of went into a cave. and stayed there. Until I was on the surgery table with stuff going through the I.V. And the next thing I knew was I came out the other side. It worked for me.
    THINK ABOUT IT!...... what do you think? Don't over think! Let it be!
    Good luck, Jim :? ;)
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hey there,
    I know you are 2 days away and things look darkest right now but you have a good sense of humor, a family who loves you, and a bunch of us who totally understand what you are going through.

I will be around tomorrow...but wanted to let you know that I'll be saying a prayer on Friday for you and sending good vibes!!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If it helps I am 3 weeks out from an L3-S1 fusion. I have spent much of the time in bed but do get up for a few hours per day in my brace.

I've had a few friends bring us food and I've enouraged them to sit for a while. I schedule my "up" time around that.

Monday I went to lunch with a friend. My hubby went along as he was my chauffeur, but we had a good time. Today was a "down day" in which I slept much of the day. So I now try to get up when I can and at first was resisting having friends over but now am trying to make sure someone comes over once a week.

I move around pretty well and need hubby for some help but an do much on my own.

We've had a tough time since hubby is on unemployment and I'm on disability (and was laid off while out due to my company is not doing well and I knew that was coming even if I didn't have surgery). So there is a lot of stress, but you'll make it through, I know you will, and we're all here to support you.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you all so much! Can't seem to stop the tears this morning and I don't know why! I am sooo ready! It has been such a long 3 years...so why so many tears?

I had to say "I'll see you in a few days" to my daughter. I have a favorite bracelet that I wear when I need inspirations that has big block leters...FAITH--HOPE--LOVE. She asked to wear it while I am in the hospital to feel close to me, and I will be taking her stuffed monkey to the hospital with me! :-)

Thanks so much for the prayers! Shari

• Shari,

Your post about giving your daughter your bracelet and taking her stuffed monkey with you to the hospital, and especially having to say 'I'll see you in a few days' had me feeling tearful, so no wonder you have been tearful.

Emotions are very strong, and you will be feeling a real mixture of them now. It will help to let some of them out with the tears. Like a pressure cooker venting some steam.

I'll be thinking of you and sending up lots of prayers.

Let the tears flow.

• I understand what you are going through. I had to be at a hospital 4 hours away and I was alone after hubby left the next night until I was released. It was great to see her when I did get home and she took off work to stay with me for a week.
    You will soon be home and back with them. And on the mend looking forward to recovering. It will be nice to be able to be better for your family soon! Take care and my thoughts are with you tommorow! Love, Robin