Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EPI/Knee injury or back

riggerbrriggerb Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Injections
I am a bicycle rider. Year before last (2008) I started having dull pain behind me knee, on the inside, early in the season. I thought I was having knee issues BUT

12 months later had lower back/disc issues (L4/L5 and L5/S1)
Dr suggested ESI.
After LOCAL for the ESI my knee pain went away COMPLETELY. Pain came back after the local wore off but 10 days later after the ESI took effect knee pain was MUCH less.

How can I tell of the local and ESI blocked the nerve signals from a damaged knee or if the knee pain caused from sciatica/back issues?

• The spinal nerves run out from the back and the pain felt from their compression can be felt in predictable patterns called dermatomes. If you search for "dermatome map" you will see that pain that runs behind the knee is often coming from a S1 spinal nerve. However, pain is usually not limited to one localized spot, but it can happen.

It is not all that unusual to have a herniated lumbar disc without having pain in the lower back. Instead the pain can radiate down the leg, even into the foot.

I can't tell from your description if you may have had a nerve block along with the epidural steroid injection. A nerve block has the numbing agent that is followed by the steroid. The area will feel pain free as the numbing agent goes into effect. As the numbing agent begins to wear off, the pain gradually returns.

It is tricky to tell if pain is coming from a spinal nerve or a knee. The best way is to have imaging studies that can rule out a knee injury. Then a nerve block study can be done that can pinpoint the spinal nerve that is being effected...then using a dermatome map you know in general which disc may be causing the nerve irritation or compression.

Did you have a MRI to diagnose your disc problems? Does your knee pain run down the leg or is it just behind the knee?
  • gwinnee17
    THANKS for the reply. I am going for a 2nd opinion in late March. I'm ready to get back on my bike. Current Dr tells me not to do anything that causes back/leg pain. So I guess I should not work, ride my bike, drive, boat.....

As far as I know I was just given a local numbing agent for the ESI.After the Steriods kicked in the pain was GREATLY reduced (for about 3 weeks)

I have had an MRI, L4/L5 and L5/S1 are collapsed and herniated.

I have had facet pain for decades, now I also have moderate pain radiating horizontally across the upper pelvis. The "knee" pain runs down the inside back of my leg 6" above and below my knee but is concentrated near my knee.