Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

headaches and neck problems

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has bad headaches with cervical neck issues, I had a nerve block almost 2 weeks ago, have weakness in my upper arm and pain in my shoulder the mid back pain is relieved, but I started having an aura all day and it can be with or without the horrible headache, I called the neurologist and they said its not from my neck that I need to see an eye dr. anyone else have auras with occipital headaches? Or anyone have migraines with these type of symptoms? I have c5 rt foramen nerve pinch with artritis and bone spurs. Thanks for any help. Lela

• I haven't had one for a while (knocking on wood). Mine have been very bad. While I was calling the NS his nurse had assured me the migraine/headache was not from my neck.... I even had a brain MRI right after Christmas. Last time I saw my NS he said it is very common, also my PT said they were more than likely caused by the neck. Maybe not directly like a c2-c3 bulge but because of the muscle spasms etc we get a lot of pressure and swelling. It has to go some where.

I had the worst one at the end of a PT session. Started seeing double had the aura for 3-4 days went to the er, had a brain mri, eye exams etc. I found out that if I try to raise my arms above my head for too long that this was the result.

I will be having the ACDF next Monday.

Is it possible that the recent nerve block nicked your spinal canal and you could be having a spinal fluid leak? My PT thinks my bad osteophytes may nick me and causes the spinal fluid headache. I tend to agree. I found that ice on my head/neck and a reclined position helped but it's not much fun.

I used high doses of excedrin migraine along with norco and ice but it barley touched it.

Hang in there.

• Julie
    Thanks for your reply, I certainly feel like a hypochondriac!I have neck problems and the muscle spasms so I do feellike the headaches are from my neck, I cant get in to see a ns until March 22. My neurologists nurse said that its not from my neck, I have a hard time believing that! Good luck with your surgery, I am sure you will come out of it better than you are are now!
  • Lela, it can take a bit of probing to locate the cause of causes of your neck pain.
    And of course the eye thing could be entirely unrelated.
    When you are told things like that from the medicos, ask them what they mean and why they said it, otherwise you are none the wiser.
    They may have some good knowledge to pass on.
    Neck muscles do a lot of work, holding that heavy head all day, twisting etc. Posture is a big area of problems for the neck, as is overuse of the PC!!
    In my case, my very sore neck muscles were being pulled tight by my out of whack back muscles, and once they were calmed down with massage, the neck pain and associated headaches disappeared, to a very large degree.
    so ask questions, widen your scope of problem areas, and make sure you include soft tissues in your research, not just the bony bits.
    You are far more likely to have muscle problems as the cause than spinal.
    Don't ignore the spine, but it is not the only thing to look into.
    I know!!!
    Also, make sure the spine is all in place, so get checked by a chiropractor.
  • I am going through similar symptoms, and my Dr still thinks is virul. There r time that I feel i cant hold my head up> I am definately going for a second opinion. I am currently taking steroids for the inflamation but whats going to to take the pain from my neck away. This also affected my vision see blurry or couldnt even keep my eyes open> Good luck n keep me posted.
  • Hi!
    I've had the same issue. I started getting severe migraines about two months ago. My chiropractor said it was due to my neck problems. My phsyotrist(sp?) agreed. Yesterday my phsyotrist did a 2 level (C2 and C3) Facet nerve block yesterday. He said this should help control the swelling and spasms that the herniated discs (C5 and C6) are causing. To explain...He said the spasms and swelling have taken on a life of their own. The spasms are going up the back of my neck and affecting the nerve that goes up my head...causing the migraines....He explained it much better than I did. But...maybe it's something you can ask your dr about.
    Take Care!!
  • Thanks for you post Catie, I saw an eye dr. last week my eyes are fine!! I did talk with my pt girl yesterday about the headaches and she says they are most likely from my neck, all my muscle from my traps to my upper neck are like concrete! Muscle relaxants dont really help much and the headaches are a bit better, not the migraine headache, but I still have a headache everyday, the pain pills I take dont do much!! Thanks for the info maybe I can try that injection next. I over did it today and my right arm feels much worse, pain pain pain! I thought I was getting better with that part but alas not so!I am very discouraged today when I think of all that is going on right now. Lela
  • I found out the hard way that our bodies are an incredibly tangled and intricate mess of spagetti!!

Before surgery I had what felt like sinus headaches on just one side of my head. They ran from my forehead down my cheek and over to my ear. Of course this couldnt be related said the doctor but amazingly after surgery they are gone.

After surgery I had damage to the optic nerves from the surgery. Apparently all those nerves in the eye and face run from your brain down your neck and back up to the head. I truly think we were supposed to have longer necks or something - lol.

So don't always believe what the doctors and their staff say. If it isn't in the textbook they read they will swear it isn't possible. The thousands of people on this site can testify that strange things do happen.
  • Your are right Kris, I think the lights or auras I see have something to do with my neck and the nerves in my head and neck as do the headaches!! Thanks for your post. I also have to tell you Kris that I have a cat that looks just like your Kitty picture, our cats name is Fat Louie, named after princess diaries!! Thanks for again for spine Health I have found so many answers to my questions, Lela
  • I am going through similar symptoms, headaches are so severe makes me nashua symptoms, I been going to PT and they said the muscles running down from tip of my head to my shoulders. these muscles are also attached to the vertabras in neck. these muscles are pulled tight because i have pain in C5-c6 and C^-c7 disks that are slightly inpinging my cord. the muscles spas out and tighten causing alot of my headache symptoms, it is hard to relax them evan with tens unit and muscle relaxers, oxycotins. I been in PT for now 2 months and told last appointment that i should have made better progress however their sending me back to nuro. who knows....

i can say for fact my headaches have improved with triggeroint and deep tissue massage

Goodluck let me know how things turn out

• I would see your Primary Dr. about the migraine headache but if you've never had an aura or migraine before I would go to the ER and get it checked out. I used to get bad migraines relieved by meds but haven't had one for 2 years. I hope it eases up soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the posts, I do believe the headaches are related to my neck problems, I also have had the pain run along my ear and my entire head, and the nausea too, I had a severe migraine last week and called the neuro and he prescribed midrin, doesnt seem to help much, i think i need a good massage too!! I am going to a ns in a week to talk to him to see what he says about my neck, I may not be a candidate for surgery yet and just so tired of the pain!! Thanks for all your responses. Lela
  • Lela, definitely get a good massage. It won't cure you, but it will get rid of muscle tension and associated pain.
    You may be surprised at how much pain relief you get from it.
    We get so tense with all of the pain and worry and the muscles get very tight and sore.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    There is a definite connection between the two. Prior to having my first cervical problem diagnosed, I was being run for many tests to determine the cause of my headaches.
    Once I had my first ACDF, those pounding headaches disappeared.

Nowadays, if I overdo something, manytimes I start to get a headache. Its a familiar type of headache, starting from the base of the back of my neck moving up and around to my forehead.

Then within a couple of days, I will start with a cervical flareup. Since I now know that, when I get that type of headache, I start with some measures to try to minimize the cervical flareup

Take a look at some of the search matches on this site with headaches and cervical problems:

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for your response Papa, I agree that the headaches are related, thankfully the last week they havent been so bad!!! Also thanks for the links.