Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

should I remove the steri strips?

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
its been 10 days since my ACDF and my follow up is tomorrow...what is the likelyhood they are going to remove my stiches tomorrow?

My steri strips are still on (partly coming off) just wondering if I remove them. I have a huge fear of them tearing them off...I've had that done before and its not pleasant.

• Hey,

I didn't get any instructions from hospital on this so I looked it up online. According to the manufacturer, leave them on. They will fall off on their own.

I did use scissors to trim back the loose flaps as they started to pull away from the skin.

Hope this helps.
  • Leave them.
    For both my surgeries I was told not to pull them off. I was told they might fall off but if not, they would remove them at my 2-week appt.
  • They should have adhesive remover where they remove the strips painlessly I hope this is the case for you tomorrow. I hope all goes well with your appointment tomorrow, Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I too was told they may start to come off and just let it happen naturally. Don't pull unless it's just the last fragment of the steri strip hanging there.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I too have been told to leave them they will fall off on their own. I am sure it is hard when you have to look at it hanging there! Us lumbar fusions can't see ours! Ha :-) Hope your post op goes well! Happy healing! Shari
  • You should get your stitches out tommorow. The steri strips just trum back any loose edges. They reinforce the incisions. They will remove them and put new ones one if needed.
    Good Luck tommorow. You asked about my Dr. He is in Fairmont, Mn. Take Care, Love, Robin
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    My Dr.Says no! I did. And he had the P.A put them back on! I think Just to punish me!
    Jim image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!