Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal fusion

ursy60uursy60 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 2 level L4-S1 fusion done on Nov, 27, 2009. I saw my doctor Feb 22, and he said it's time to start physio, so I start on Monday. He also said no lifting more than 10 lbs till our next visit which is April 21, 2010. My question is when do you start bending. Is it safe now or does the bone still have to fuse more. He ran out so quick I never got a chance to ask him. I would like to no before I go to physio cause I know sometimes they can be a little to gung ho. I also start back to work part time on Monday.

• I would be very cautious until at least six months. You can bend a little bit, and the PT may tell you to do it, but just to be on the safe side, I would minimize any bending, twisting, or reaching up overhead.

How are you feeling by now?
  • Can you call the doctor's office and leave a message to ask? Its an important question, my doctor has a nurse practitioner and I used to work through her on any of those "what is this ache" or when can I start this" questions. If not a nurse practitioner, the receptionist could be a go-between for you.
  • Have a care with the bending.

I'm 4 months post-op now and have only started physio this last week. I didn't feel confident before after having had so much of it after my decompression in 08, which didn't help. I told my physio that if an exercise gives me pain, then I'm not doing it. I expect discomfort though. Up until now, I've been doing walking and stretching. Don't be in a hurry to do too much too soon - keep progressing at your own level.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008