Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BMP instead of doner bone

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have BMP on this fusion instead of doner bone. I'm wondering how many of you have had this? and your success or failure with it. And dose it fuse in the typical 1 yr. that doner bone dose?
Thanks, Jim :?
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• I had BMP with my PLIF two years ago and showed bone growth at 5 weeks when I had an X-ray for another purpose. Generally speaking, BMP fuses more quickly than donor bone.
  • I had BMP for a two level fusion PLIF, and at seven months I had my hardware taken out, as it was fused strongly enough.
  • Hi Jim - I had my ALIF surgery a year ago, used BMP mixed with cadaver bone. I was pretty well fused at 6 months, and even moreso now at one year.
  • The pharma company I work for makes BMP. I actually work in growing the cells that we harvest for it. It is supposed to work quickly, which is why they initially did so well with it. Sadly, we are having trouble selling it at this point because insurance companies don't want to pay for it. We have had to step down production this year which, frankly, does not make me too optimistic regarding the future of my job.

It is always neat for me to hear when people are fusing well with it because I think "I helped make that!" I hope to get it myself if I am eligible for fusion since it is supposed to be free for me (anything we make we can get for free).
  • I also had BMP mixed with crushed bone from the pars removed with my TLIF on Feb 2nd. My doctor advised me he prefered using it because of the higher fusion rates, particularly for people who had smoked. Glad you posted as I'm curious about other people's fusion rates with BMP.

Amanda, I was told I was lucky to be able to get the BMP with my surgery because insurance companies are so unwilling to pay for it. After reading about it and deciding to use it I feel very fortunate to have a surgeon and hospital willing to use it.
  • I've read up on some of this and I think there is some confusion. I know I am confused...

A lot of people say they had BMP. Doctors say BMP as a general name for the "glue" that binds our fusion.

Maybe AmandaCN can help on this.

My surgeon said he doesn't use BMP, he uses "stem cell". In looking up the company and product he uses. It is called an "allograft" and is an alternative to "autograft". It's my understanding that "autograft" is BMP. That BMP is made of cadaver bone. Plus "other stuff". It seems "allograft" is made from bones of live adults plus "other stuff". I could be wrong on this.

Surgeon's explanation of why he uses the product he uses. He had problems with BMP and bone growth in areas where he did not want it. Like attaching to nerves and such. So he switched to this stuff. It attaches to bones and grows as bone causing fusion. The excess does not attach to other things and grow. It is simply absorbed into the body. It is apparently "smart" material that adapts. As the manufacturer describes it. "Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are multipotential, capable of responding to their environment to differentiate into a variety of cells as needed."

He saw fusion at 3 months. Never discussed at 2 week or 4 week meeting. I was told to wait until we met at 6 months before he would say successful fusion.

Btw: (AmandaCN)
    The company I am talking about had increased sales in 09 over 08 by about 10%. Looking at their stocks. A buy in Jan/09 and sell in Dec/09 would have made a tidy little profit.
    My insurance company did not balk at any charges for my surgery, including the allograft. The titanium hardware was really expensive. For just a few nuts and bolts... ;-)

• This is just an observation that is a bit off topic -- but I see a difference just in two years from what insurance companies were willing to cover and now.

When I had my fusion in Jan 2008 and was on various forums for two years prior to that, there was little conversation about various materials, procedures, etc. being denied, but it seems far more common now. Probably just a taste for things to come here in the US.