Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 issues: bone growth stim & open incision (what a day)

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Bone growth stimulator was delivered today. This unit is odd, different than I thought. When I had my cervical fusion the BGS was just worn around my neck and recharged once a day. This unit is worn as much as possible (24 hour a day if you can) and worn like a TENS unit. Two small round pads worn on my back on either side of the incision at the mid-incision mark. Then leads are connected to a small unit, about the size of my blackberry, that is in a pouch. They give you a belt to use to wear it, but the belt is kind of belt you'd see on a back pack or fanny pack. So I found an old elastic belt I had that will allow it to just fit around me or around the brace. Hubby said I could just put it beside me at night and not belt it but it would be on the floor the first time I got up to go to the bathroom. Sleeping in this thing will be strange, not sure how long I'll be wearing it for, I'll find that out at my regular appointment 3/8

Second issue is that two small areas of my lateral 4 " incision on my hip opened. Noticed blood 3 days ago. Hoped it would scab up on it's own (especially since I have no blood thinners in me) but it keeps seeping so I go in tomorrow to see the surgeon (better safe than sorry, the last thing i want is an infection or being back in the hospital) so I'm guessing maybe a stitch will be needed.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• My hysterectomy incision opened up. They just left it, but it wasn't infected. They had me keep it covered most of the time. It healed from the inside out and that half of the scar looks bad. In some incisions that open the doctors will pack it and change the packing daily to prevent infection. I hope you feel better soon. I've never had a bone stimulator but I'm sure you will adjust quickly.
  • on my head popped open a bit. They said it had to heal from inside out. I hope this is the case for you too. Please let us know how it turns out. Wise to see Dr anyway. Dont want to risk anything!
  • Hello there. When I had my double fusion back in 01 everything went great except for my 8" incision down the middle of my back to lumbar area. It never did test positive for infection but it had a place in the middle that just would not stay closed. Ended up having two small surgeries by a plastic surgeon to fix it all up. He said something about the layers in there having space in between them and not wanting to heal together. I do remember that they get very concerned though when the wound opens up and took it very seriously. They don't want bacteria getting in there and ruining their work. I think you are wise for getting it checked out. That's what your doctor is there for. Like you said, they may clean it up and stitch it closed. I'll be interested in hearing how they handle it. Take it easy.
  • Yeh they will not want to stitch it up(from my nsg experience) generaly need to heal from inside out, sometimes packing if deep etc. Good you are getting it checked out. Any other signs of infection..fever reddness heat?? I would keep it covered till you see him. Lynette