Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need help Understanding this...

arus116aarus116 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me understand what my report's results mean and how these issues can be treated/fixed.

I had a MRI of L.S. Spine with T1 and T2 weighted Axial and Sagittal as well as T1 W coronal images

There is a straightening of the lumbar curve, the height shape and alignment of the lumbar vertebrae are normal. No Antero- or posterolisthesis. The conus medullaris ends at D12-L1. Spinal cord shows normal signal intensities.

There is desiccation of L4-5 and L5-S1 intervertebral discs which display lower signal intensities on T2 W images

L4-5 intervertebral disc shows a diffuse bulge and Lt. Paracentral/foraminal protrusion which is displacing the Theca and enroaching on Lt. Neural recess and the Lt. Neural foramen.

Everything else seems normal/fine.

Any Help would be Greatly appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health,
    Well done for finding us and well done for getting an MRI - one of the most significant steps to finding a solution to your pain.

No-one here is qualified to read your MRI and you must get a complete explanation from your doctors, take a friend or family member to the appointment to be another pair of ears, and ask many questions , even get your doctor to draw a diagram if necessary!

Try and read up a little and learn some spine anatomy (Check the search box and the videos on this site)
    In the mean time you are desperate to know what all that jargon means aren`t you?
    When an MRI is "T1 or T2 weighted" -that is a technical radiology term for how they set the machine for different density and images.

When intervertebral discs are described as desicated they are showing signs of wear and aren`t as springy as they could be.
    "The height shape and alignment of the lumbar vertebrae are normal" Is a positive statement. and "No Antero- or posterolisthesis" is also good, means no abnormal forward or side ways bending of the spine.
    I have no problem interpreting the above statements into everyday understandable English, but the rest only your Doctor can explain as the significance of them for you can only be understood in context of other investigations like x-ray and the type of symptoms/pain you are having.

I hope your wait to see the doctor isn`t too long, and that he has a solution for you.
    Whilst you are waiting, do keep moving about, walk about when you can, try using heat pads and ice packs to ease your discomfort and don`t be tempted to just lie in bed, if you have a pain killer prescribed to take regularly, then take it regularly, or you can risk falling into the hideous pain cycle of inactivity due to pain and more pain due to inactivity. I hope you come back and tell us how you got on at the doctors and feel welcome to ask any questions here, and gain some support in knowing you are not the only one going through this !

Best Wishes Viking