Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Such Pain has returned

ladyduranlladyduran Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone, i have slight narrowing of the disc space L5-S1 and was born with Spina Bifida Occulta which was picked up from an x-ray as was the narrowing disc space.

My pain had eased quite substancially until yesterday. I simply bent down to pick the washing up and a real strong pain ripped through my lower back. Since then i am in quite a lot of pain when i walk, when i sit and when i lay down. I am also getting stabbing pains in my legs, mostly in my thighs but now and then in my ankle.

I am thinking of maybe giving it a few days then if still bad popping to see my doctor. I have only ever had the x-ray on my back which picked up the above problems.

Does this pain seem familiar to many of you with this problem?

Thanks for any advice

• welcome to spine health
    have you been to see your doctor? maybe you should?maybe you need an MRI this will let the medics know if there are any nerves that are trapped and if so what appropriate treatment can be given .meanwhilst you may want to try a TENS or ice pack and a simple pain killer .good luck
  • I was thinking a call/visit to your back doctor would be a good idea. XRays don't show everything but MRI will usually show if you have nerve compression. If you are having significant leg pain or weaknes or even loss of feeling, I wouldn't mess around.

If it's just inflammation, they may even give you an NSAID or Medrol pack to get inflammation down but based on your history, I'd call the doctor.

Sadly, it doesn't take more than a stretch to push a disc over the edge....but hopefully your's is more inflammation.
  • Here is my professional opinion (as a Paramedic-former, courtesy of OTJ back injuries & nursing student): Call your Dr & make an appt ASAP. I feel that you need an MRI & possibly other diagnostic tests sooner, rather than later, to see what is going on and if there is any nerve impingement/encroachment or bulging discs.

Here is my personal opinion (based on years of back pain experience): Call your Dr & make an appt ASAP! Your symptoms sound similar to some of mine, and those that you will read on these boards over & over & over again (no kidding-browse around). The only way to know for sure is to be seen by a professional and have the proper imaging & diagnostic tests done.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist so please don't be frightened. What I AM is a realist, and realistically I think this is something that should never be ignored. God gives us pain & other "signals" for a reason-because he wants us to know that something needs to be corrected. Please don't ignore this.

I hope that you will update us with your Dr's opinion (provided you seek it). I'm curious to see if my "hunch" is correct (and no, I'm not gonna say because that wouldn't be right, nor fair to you-why worry you about something that may not be wrong? But I do believe myself & many others here who read your post will come to similar conclusions in our own minds because we've been dealing with this ourselves, and with our friends here at S-H, for many years in most of our cases).

Meanwhile, try some ibuprofen & heating pad &/or ice packs to alleviate any pain/discomfort until you're able to see a Dr. If the pain at any time becomes extreme, go to the ER if you can't get to a Dr or after hours clinic.

Take good care & again, please keep us posted. Will keep you in thoughts & prayer.
  • I have been trying to get a docs appointment today without success and will try again tomorrow.

I cannot bend my torso without extreme pain and i cannot raise my legs fully when i lie down. It hurts if i try and sit with my legs raised up too. The stabbing pains in my leg continue but only now and again.

The pain is far worse than i had before so i worry that i may have a bulging disc or a herniated disc.

I will post again when i have seen the doctor.

Thanks for your replies
  • Managed to get a doctors appointment today. She has signed me off work for a week with acute back pain and sciatica. Thinks that my disc is squashing down on my nerves.

She is arranging for me to have an Mri scan which could take about 4 weeks because of the waiting list.
    Doctor said that if my pain settles down again, like it did last time, before the mri is due then to cancel it. Not sure whether it is best to go for it still regardless of whether pain is still present or not???

• to have the MRI anyway, even if the pain does go away before the MRI, what's to say it won't return the following week, then you'd have to go through the whole rigmarole again.
  • Hi Sharon and welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us.

I agree with Kylie. I'd still get the MRI just to have on file if nothing else, especially considering it takes so long for you to get one scheduled. That's just my personal opinion, even though I absolutely hate those things!

Take care and I hope you feel better and there's nothing seriously wrong.

• The fact that it has regressed to your thighs is a good sign. You should have a variety of ways at hand to address your symptoms as no particular intervention will always be successful. Continue your consertive intervention.

Spam link not allowed. Removed by authority member, Cath111.
  • I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your MRI but it's best to get one to show what's going on. Try ice and heat to relieve your back pain while awaiting your MRI results and don't lift anything away from your body and try to squat instead of bend over from the waist. I hope you have something for pain while awaiting your results. I hope you don't have a job lifting or bending repetitively. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Received my Mri appointment today for the 24th March at my local hospital. It says MRI Lumbar/Sacral area, is this normal?

I still have lots of pain. My back isn't as stiff but have the stabbing pains in my legs, hip area and sometimes at the front lower left region of my stomach area.

This discussion has been closed.