Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks in .....

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Being back at work is a blesssing and a sacrifice. Blessed to be busy and not thinking about ex. I cried too much with that man. But the sacrifice is my body. I really thought being 3.5 months post surgery I would feel great. I feel like ka ka. My back ached so bad tonight, I have yet to sleep. All the sitting is going to do me in. The work station that raises and lowers is minimally helpful. I really hoped it would do the trick. I guess my expectations are skewed.

It actually seems I can feel my hardware. I didn't know that would be an issue. Maybe I am just imagining it. Anywho, walking about the house now. My dog is even sleepy, she follows me on my nocturnal wandering. What a great companion she is.

Gonna try a cat nap on the sofa. Best to all.

• You deserve to get some rest. I hope you can get some sleep and feeling better when you get up to a brand new day. You're strong to get back to work so early. I wish you healing thoughts and a prayer to overcome these obstacles in your life right now. Stay sweet. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :D :D :D

I so feel for you! You wouldn't think working at a desk would do you in but it does.

Are you using a heating pad or therma care patches for your back while you work. I found keeping the muscles warm really helped. I haven't had back surgery so I don't know how that would feel on your incision site and hardware. Or possibly ice packs, if that feels better.

It's going to rain all day here in Orlando -- too bad you're not here -- nice day for snoozing (LOL).

Take care,

• I'm sorry your week was so rough. I can only imagine starting off on a monday feeling good and each day getting a bit harder, by friday feeling like you were hit by a truck. That stinks. Take this weekend to rest-up.

Like Judy said, heat makes my back feel better. If you can't have a heating pad at your desk, give the heat patches a try (if you haven't already).

Hopefully with each passing week you will do better. On your time off take good care of yourself,

• Did you return to work about 14 weeks after surgery? I tried to do the math but may have been off.

I have my 4 week follow-up for TLIF with instrumentation and decompression at L5-S1 next week and was thinking about asking to be released back to work part-time as I have a desk job. I'm questioning that now as I still find sitting for any length of time to be a problem.

I know it's mainly up to the doctor and what you do for a living but was curious how long before most people were able to return to work.
  • Hi...first Gretchen - I think she had the surgery a few months back per her siggy (Nov 09) but she's been back at work for 2 weeks now.

Trasee - you are doing awesome. You've been through so much and are moving forward. Yes, you will have days that seem backward. I wish I knew you were up last night, we could have chatted. I should give you my cell phone. I'm 3 weeks out on a revision and am finding about 2 nights a week where sleep is an issue. I may have to try tylenol PM.

Last night I literally dozed for 3.5 hours and finally at 3:30 got up..walked a bit, and just figured my back must be spasming so took a tylenol and a valium. It did the trick...I finally fell asleep at 4am.

Work is not easy...and that's just my experience after a microdiscectomy. Just when you are rested, you now add a new element. Did they do transition for you?

I got my doctor to agree to let me start work 2 weeks sooner than he wanted but only 4hours/day from home. It counts as 1/2 days (even though I'm salaried) but he said there is no way he will risk me re-injuring the 1st 3 months and even then he said stress of work will slow recovery.

I have an ergonomic chair, and had to set my timer to get up and walk every hour and am thinking when I go back to do the standing office and sitting office desk combo.

As for your pup...arent they wonderful? They really are man's and woman's best friend. My dog just knows when my feet need to be warmed or when I need a laugh...she just can sense it. I'm so glad you have your companion to wander with you in the middle of the night.
  • thanks for the kind comments. D, You are so correct about the pups. Unfortunately, I didn't have a transition. I was back full time immediately. I am just hoping for the best this week.

Lisa, thanks dear! You always say something to make me feel better. Maybe one of these days we can get together in chat. :)

Charry, You always have something so kind to say. I hope you are doing well. Do you have a surgery in your future?

Gretchen, I went back at 13 weeks. I would recommend taking as much time as you need and make sure you can get up as much as possible. My job has me tethered to a headset all the time so it can be restricting. Good luck

• I could never have done what you have. Returning to work full time plus everything else you've had going on. You are doing so great.
  • You are amazing! Returning to work that quickly...I would have been napping on my desk.

I hope you have a good week.
  • Haha D, I almost fell asleep on a call tonight. I took a flexeril at my dinner break and then went back and about an hour later, I had some moron droning on and on about his cell bill, I was slumped all the way down in my chair and I swear if my chin hadn't hit my chest I would've been out. LMAO!! That's all I need, a co-worker saying "hey, what's wrong with Traci??" LOL She's sleeping!! Hahahahaha

I got off my butt and stood for a while, that helped :)

Hugs to you all,
  • Gary,

I always wanted to be Wonder Woman or Isis!!! A Super Hero!! Thanks LOL
  • Trasee - going back to work is a killer. I went back at 11 weeks (only part time but still) and it did set me back. I have had about 3 or 4 really rough patches since, which of course delay recovery again.
    I have been back since the start of Jan and I am still finding it hard. I am sure we would heal faster if we didn't have to do the work stuff too. I find it hard to fit in the exercise I am supposed to do as well as work. Also I have been taking stronger pain meds at night since going back! It is starting to get easier (touch wood) but I keep thinking that and then I have another setback!
    Keep at it - you are doing great!