Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going to need a blood transfusion

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hey "spiney" friends. It's me ~Jayhawk aka Shari:-) going to need a blood transfusion this morning :( did that happen to any of you? I am so tired. and my blood pressure is vety low 70 /?. But I walked probably 25 ft last night and I'm doing pretty well with my bed mobility. Really scared for the transfusion! have an iv site for it in my neck~ ugh! Miss ya'll

• Agghh Shari,
    Great to hear from you. Great to hear you were up walking and have found some level of comfort. Would like to hear more about your surgery but wait...

Not so good to hear you need a transfusion. What happened? What is your hemoglobin level? It must be at an very low level for them to be suggesting a blood transfusion. Of course I would also imagine you would need it for the healing...

Never had one myself. Did "spring a leak" after a total hysterctomy. Hemoglobin went down from a 13 to a 5.5. Husband had already left the hospital and no one was there to sign for the transfusion. (I was out of it.) They took me back in to surgery and stopped the bleeding but no transfusion. Later I opted not to have one. (Blood was very dangerous back then.) Hemoglobin slowely recovered itself.

Keep us updated.

• I have administered many transfusions in my nursing days and you will be fine. It will help you feel better sooner than if you had to wait for your body to make that many red blood cells. Were you under longer than planned?? I can't believe you are posting already. i know I have read a few post op postings that they have required a transfusion. Did they have you give your own blood ahead? Well be watching for you and keeping you in our thoughts. Lynette
  • very rough morning~ problems with my lungs, difficulty breathing~ Starting breathing treatments every 4 Hours, I've never smoked. 2 bags of blood, but if fever gets too high, they will stop transfusing for a while. Very low blood pressur. VERY rough morning, I can't keep my eyes open, and they want me upright to get more oxygen in lungs....:( I'll write more later. Just, please, please pleasr pray!!Thank you so much! Shari
  • Wow!! I can't believe you feel well enough and are coherent enough to post so early. I'm impressed. You will be my role model. ;) I think you are just doing this in your own, unique way....haven't seen transfusions mentioned before, but I'm sure it is not unheard of.

When I had fusion two years ago, my blood pressure was very low...I was in the recovery area a bit longer than usual. I ended up being brought to my room at 11 p.m. (went in to surgery at 6:30 -- they were running LATE). The nurse gave me all my normal meds that I was taking at home the following morning...including my med for high blood pressure...so then it really dropped low and they were afraid to get me up for fear I would pass out...but, I didn't have a transfusion!

You'll be fine. It will be easy after what you've already been through!!

Just try to stay relaxed -- let your mind drift to that "special place" and breath slowly and deeply.

• Shari, See, we all said you'd be OK, and look, you are! On the transfusion, yes I had to have 6 (?) units of blood and some platelets too with my fusion. Plus I read about them monitoring your breathing. I had that same go 'round. You'll be fine. I don't know it it's normal, but my 02 levels would get low, so they always had this loud alarm hooked to me so it would go off and remind me to breathe. They are also concerned about pneumonia, which is part of the reason you're having to do breathing treatments. In the while after surgery, I wasn't really breathing too well, and that can set the stage for pneumonia. I'm sure they'll have you breathe into this little plastic spirometer to achieve maximum lung function.

You sound like you're doing great to me. I know you probably don't feel like it, but you are. I'm proud of ya! Welcome to this side of the river.

Aloha my friend,
  • Wow, you are my hero.
    Posting a day after surgery.

Don't worry too much about the blood transfusion. My mom had them and she was terrified but once she had them, she found she really was just wierded out by the concept but in reality they helped her feel better faster (she had cancer and the chemo had her counts very low).

The breathing is to help you. I had very low BP and pulse through the night. First, hopefully they have you hooked up to an IV b/c that will help your BP. Second, I know b/c I threw up, I had low magnesium and they tried to give me more which made my BP drop more. They were worried about me the day after as well but a few bits of cake got my sugar up and bp up.

Take rest. The breathing treatments are to make sure you don't get pnemonia and get the anesthesia out of your system.

We are all still praying for you. Get rest and I hope you realize that the few little things that are you facing now are nothing compared to the milestone you just overcame. Remember to stay in your 'happy place'.

but keep asking questions...I found asking questions and getting answers that make sense, put you in control and help keep your mind at peace.

Good to hear from you so soon.

• Well done for posting so quickly!! I was awake and praying for you during the night!

It sounds like you are doing quite well, apart from needing a transfusion.

With my hospital information, there is a leaflet about blood transfusions, which are needed sometimes. It says that they take about 2 to 4 hours for one unit of blood, but can be quicker or slower. Try to just relax while it is happening. Once you have had it, you should start to feel a bit stronger and not so tired. Mind you, I expect that the medication that you are having will make you very drowsy.

Well done for taking that walk so quickly. Each walk should get easier than the last.

You are so on my mind, Shari. Thinking of you makes me realise how soon it is going to be my turn. SCARED!!!

You are over the hump now and on the road to recovery. The further down the road you travel, the smoother it will become. Off in the distance is the horizon where the sun in shining and the countryside is beautiful! Keep travelling forward.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I said I'd see you on the other side, and here you are! Lung issues are why I asked you to do fast walking or breathing exercises. 3 of my surgeries I had lung problems, collapsed, or fluid In them. After that I started walking and doing hills. And all the time breathing exercises. With doing that, I didn't have the lung issues.
    But 3 times, I did have the issue's. They were not a big deal. I had to do breathing exercises with that little breathing thingy. And try to get the ball up to the top. The nurse would come in every hour and bug me with that damn thingy! They put me on antibiotics through my I.V. and I only had to stay 1 extra day. They sent me home with a couple of prescriptions. 1 for antibiotics, and 1 for a Combivent inhaler.
    When I had my 360 ant. post., my surgeon had me donate my own blood. 2 pints , I think. And they used it all. So I would assume that bleeding is normal for that kind of surgery. On the other surgeries, they used a blood recovery system.
    At any rate, I'm sure that you don't have anything to worry about. Just do those stupid exercises when the nurse comes in and wakes you up right after you finally fall asleep! LOL :W . build the capacity back up, and they will let you come home!
    Good luck, Jim :H
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• You are so much in my thoughts and prayers.

I've read about transfusions being needed, and problems with lungs after fusion surgery. I think that the lying on your front during surgery can cause problems with the lungs, but it does happen, so they know what they need to do to help you.

Just know that they are doing everything they need to to get you on a straight road. In a day or two this will all just be a memory and part of your healing story.

Lots of prayers for things to settle down and you to be underway in your healing.

Try to relax and rest,
    We are all cheering you on Shari,
  • I'm saying a prayer right now as I read this. You get your rest and you'll get through this night. Sending healing thoughts and a prayer. O:) Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Hope that you can feel some improvement.
    I'm still praying for you, and will continue to do so.

Just wanted you to know that I've looked more closely at the leaflet I have about blood transfusions, and it says that one of the symptoms of blood loss and anaemia that may need a transfusion is breathlessness (another symptom is tiredness).

Keep resting Shari, things will get better.
  • Sending my army of O:) O:) O:) O:) to watch over you. Sorry you are having fever after your surgery? Is that normal or did you pick up a bug of some sort.

I will certainly keep you on my prayer list. Maybe my little army of angels will breathe some oxygen into your lungs :D .

Try to get some rest and leave the worrying to the medical staff. You are so awesome to have already posted right after your surgery.

Take good care,

• Hey I am sending all my prayers to you and hope you have a speeedy recovery you take care of yourself and God Bless You. O:)
  • So nice to see a post so soon! =D> My prayers and well wishes are with you Shari! I did not need a transfusion, although there was talk of one if I did not improve. I know, no help to you, but I know what you are feeling. I am sure it will make you feel better and you will be fine! God bless and I'll be praying for your speedy recovery! B)
  • Just popping in to let you know I'm still sending my positive vibes and saying prayers for you that things get easier and your fever goes down. I'm glad they are watching your breathing so closely.

• Incredible that you've posted so soon, and good on you with the walking so far. My blood pressure was very low for most of my time in the hospital. The nurses will look after you really well and get your breathing and blood pressure right.

Sending you hugs and wishing you all the best for your recovery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • that you are having a better day today.
    Today you are closer to your full recovery than you were yesterday, even if it still seems a long way away.

Keep resting and walking when you can.
    No more anticipation now, just the day to day healing.

• Yea Shari!You did it,I knew you would--downhill all the way---rest,rest,rest-we are very proud of you!Jeannie
  • Hi Shari, I hope you are feeling better by now. Just hang in there, you will be feeling better in no time! : )