Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I fighting a loosing battle to save my teeth?

jj-from montrealjjj-from montreal Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
Am I fighting a loosing battle to save my teeth? My condition, and or my medication restrict the saliva in my mouth, (dry mouth) which cause tooth decay, my financial situation restricts my excess to proper dental care.
I thought I saw it all, experienced it all, felt it all, when it came to pain. When some ones pain is so…, it’s indescribable, yet, we manage to come threw it; better, stronger, a lot wiser. This round of pain attack started in my mouth. To spare you the gruesome details, two teeth had fallen victim. One abscess followed the other, so, basically I was climbing walls for the past month. The dentist gave me a nerve block, which should have de-sanitized my lower jaw. The pain was so intense, I just can’t describe it. The nerve block some how reacted negatively with my already fragile nerves system, due to the myelopothy in my neck. I hit a new level 10 on pain scale
The one thing that came out of this experience; I survived it. I feel invincible. It actually gives me the strength, and confidence to fight on..
Keep smiling
I am -now

• Howdy JJ,

Cyber hug!!!! I've only had the "pleasure" as have many of the one troublesome tooth and related painful toothache. I could barely handle mine, so I can "only" imagine what you are going through. Losing a fighting battle, maybe, maybe not given todays dental advances! I guess your dentist will be the one to decide what is best for you and your health as "infections" are bad in general, but mouth is bad because sooooo much can grow there. I hope you have full relief soon. Take care, thinking of you. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi,

I'm Jan. I just joined this morning. I've had severe chronic back pain for 3 years. I plan on posting my story later on. However, hearing what you've gone through and seeing how positive you still are is an inspiration. Thanks for the post! I hope things get better for you :)
  • jj-from montreal said:
    I thought I saw it all, experienced it all, felt it all, when it came to pain. When some ones pain is so…, it’s indescribable, yet, we manage to come threw it; better, stronger, a lot wiser. I hit a new level 10 on pain scale. The one thing that came out of this experience; I survived it.
    You described the pain of abcesses very well and I hate to hear that you are going through this. I finally mustered up the courage to have the oral surgery I needed done (impacted wisdom tooth abcess and molar abcess) and it was worth it. These infections make you feel horrible, but once they are taken care of... the relief is awesome.

I'll be thinking of you and hope you can somehow get these teeth taken care of, as soon as possible.

I don't have any other remedies that might help you, other than taking antibiotics and having these teeth extracted.

Best wishes on getting this taken care of real soon... I truly can empathize with you!

• I'm sorry you lost 2 teeth and having the pain. I had an abscess and antibiotics helped. Can you find a College where they teach dentistry? They have really low prices as the students do the dental work but are supervised by a Dental Teacher. I hope you're feeling better soon and great you made it through this. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • JJ I feel for you I have had teeth problems and they are no fun. I had part of a root canal done and did not go back to have the rest done after about 8 months I ended up with such a bad infection that I got blood poisoning and ended up in the hospital for 4 days! So be very careful. Look around and try to explore every option you can.
    Keep up the great attitude! Charry sugestion sounds good.

Take care and Hang tough,
  • I'm so sorry to hear of what you have gone through, abcesses are not fun at all. But I'm glad that you did make it through, and feel better for it in your attitude. You are indeed strong, keep it up, you are a fine example of dealing with chronic and not chronic pain while grinning and bearing it. Well, maybe more grimacing than grinning sometimes, but you do bear it and still think positively!! Thanks for your post and the reminder that things could be worse!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • There is/are a products called biotene.
    Both a toothpaste and a mouthwash. They taste pretty good, minty and help with dry mouth. I use both on a daily basis.

I am in the process of needing/having a gum graft done on two teeth. With dry mouth and my dental history I am not sure it will work. If I don't dry it NOW and the gum drops away farther I am risking infection in both the one tooth and my jaw. So, I have an appt on April 21st to have it done. they say within a couple of years I will need to have it done on the other side.

Thankfully it is only on the teeth on the sides of my lower jaw and upper is fine. If the grafts don't work I guess I will be loosing about 3 more teeth and getting a new partial plate.

As for fighting a loosing battle, all I can suggest is biotene,and a good mid price electric toothbrush! They pushed that hard, as the electrics will do a better job and not do the damage to the gums we can do by applying to much pressure when brushing.
This discussion has been closed.