Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too early for PT?

doug260ddoug260 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. I had 360 fusion L4-S1 on Feb. 3. I am feeling pretty good (all things considered) and getting around without much trouble. I'm down to one 5mg vicodin a day. I am supposed to start physical therapy on Monday which is a few days short of 4 weeks after surgery. I asked the dr. if it was ok to start this soon and he said it was fine. I was just wondering if anyone else started in the 3-4 week mark after surgery and what their results were. Thanks for any input

• Doug,
    After both of my back surgeries, I started PT within a week of being released from the hospital. I went 3 times a week for 15 visits the first time, and many times after my fusion. What were the results? I gained my strength back, both lower and upper body, and felt really good.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • It really varies from one surgeon to another, and what the physical therapist plans to do with you. And it also depends on how much the patient is doing on his or her own prior to PT.

My surgeon didn't care IF I went to PT, and left it completely up to me. My MIL's surgeon at the U. of Michigan doesn't believe in PT at all, having seen too many patients who were damaged by it. He prefers his patients walk instead, up until the point they are fused.

Just be sure your therapist knows a lot about orthopedic surgeries and is experienced with ortho patients. Otherwise it will be an expensive waste of time.

Good luck.

• I had a posterior fusion L4/S1 on the same day as you and I started PT last week. The practice operates out of the same small hospital as my surgeon and they had this long list from him as to precisely what they can and can't do with me. For instance no massage, mobilisation or ultrasound on the back to start (can't remember when that restriction is lifted). My first session consisted of an evaluation and teaching me my homework - basic core muscle exercises and one where in a sitting position I straighten my leg as far as I am able and flex and relax the foot (this is to stretch the nerves in my legs which are very tight). Pre-surgery I never thought that such little exercises would tire me out so much!!

Hope the PT goes well for you.