Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AVM--Any one have experience?

TashaisinpainTTashaisinpain Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Can anyone talk to me about AVM-arteriovenous malfunction?
I have had MRI's of my brain and neck, with and without contrast and have been diagnosed with an AVM. The neurologist immediately sent me for MRI's of my thoracic and lumbar spine to see if there are more because, according to him, if you have one you are likely to have more. Everything I have read states that surgery is the only option for them. It also states that this is so very uncommon that Drs don't know a lot about it.....Soo...I figured I would ask the real brains....YOU GUYS and GALS!!

Thank you for any information!!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Hey Tasha,

Added to my list of neck issues ... I was DX'd with an AVM a couple of years ago. My AVM was in my colon and was causing bleeding.

It was cauterized via colonoscopy. It reoccurred a couple weeks later and I had to have the procedure repeated.

At the time I was told that AVM's were most common in the brain. If there is bleeding or rupture it could be serious.

Nothing was mentioned about the likelyhood of others because I had this one.

Follow through with your doctors accordingly.

I will keep you in my thoughts,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• My AVM is in my cervical spine....not sure how the surgeons will handle it. I do not have the results back on the rest of my spine. How they handle the first one will depend on whether there are more.