Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new here

16yrstruckin116yrstruckin Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Sun, 02/28/2010 - 10:12 .16yrstruckin

Hi, just found this site last night waiting on meds to work. I just had an partial microdiscetomy on the L5/S1; on Feb 18, 2010. I have driven semi's for 16 yrs. Back in Aug of '09, I stepped off the back of the tractor and herniated that disc. I went thought 2 rounds of P/T and 2 rounds of injections(yuck!!and ouch!!). Workman's comp tried all this before they would let me have surgery. I know it's been only ten days sense surgery, but I was wondering how long before the pain in my left hip and leg goes away if ever. I also wonder if I will ever be able to get behind the wheel of a rig again. Thanx ahead of time for any insight. Also the herniation on the MRI was a "4mm" but the NS said it was worse then they thought. And when he cut it off the nucleus squirted out like a tube of toothpaste being stepped on. Is that normal? And if I step or move wrong I get extremely sharp pains down my left leg. Went to town with my wife Thursday for lunch, a 11 mile trip, and by time we got home I was hurting really bad. I think that was her driving.HA!HA!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I just wanted to welcome you to spine-health. I don't have any answers for you but I'm sure there will be someone on soon who can help you with your questions. I hope you start getting better real soon.

P.S. If your wife reads that you'd better not go anywhere with her for a while! lol.
  • She's been great. She took fmla for ten days to make sure I didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to. She knows me to well. Today is her first day back to work.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Aren't all of us wives great? We know that you men need us to take care of you. At least I know my hubby does. ;)
    If she's gone back to work you'd better follow her orders and take it easy. I know when I had foot surgeries as soon as my hubby would go to work I'd be up trying to clean house and stuff! I did learn to sweep while walking on crutches and it's not easy! lol.
    Hope you're not having a hard time being home alone today. Seriously though, it's great that your wife could be with you. I'm sure you'd do the same for her.
    Take care and don't overdo it.
  • Hi!Welcome to the site! I have not had the procedure you had-I have had lumbar surgeries-but someone will be able to help you-this is a great place!Our spouses are truly a blessing-I am glad you have a wonderful,supportive wife-let us hear from you-Jeannie
  • Ya she's been great. But she keeps triing to get me to do more then my body allows me. She says I need to move more so atrafy don't set in. Lieing down, sitting up, walking, nothing really seems to relieve the pain in my hip and leg. Other driving thing, we just got done eating and was going to wally world to get some stuff. When some woman in minivan ran a stop sign, in a hurry, and almost hit us on her side.
    As for work kinda hoping to be able to go back. But if not ready hang up the keys of the 18 wheeler for good. Don't think the body will be able to handle the daily beating of the road.
  • From ur pic I presume u ride horses. If so where u able to ride again after the lumbar surgeries. My m/d was a lumbar discetomy at the L5/S1 disc.