Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When will I turn the corner?

yooperyyooper Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 10 days post op. I'm still so sore (shoulder blades) and haven't done much of anything. Still taking my Anexia 3X/day. Hubby keeps telling me that I should feel better by now. I just have no energy to do anything except sleep and relax in my recliner.

Should I be feeling better by now or is this normal? I had a one leved ADCF C6/7. Input appreciated. Thanks!

• Ten days out of surgery is SO EARLY. An ACDF is major surgery and you need to rest and take care of yourself.

No offense to your husband, but is he a Dr.? If not, maybe you should bring him to your next follow-up visit and have your surgeon explain a few things to him. What you are feeling seems quite normal to me, and I've had two 2 level lumbar fusions. Did your Dr. give you a list of restrictions?

I am 3 1/2 months post op from the last fusion and there are still days where I just want to be in my recliner with my heating pad (I am right now). Don't push yourself because your spouse expects you to be better right away. You could do damage to the surgery site.

Wishing you a successful recovery,
  • It's only been 10 days, i'm 5 months out from lumbar and I still have days where I have to stay in bed/recliner.
    Have hubby read the information at the top of the site re: what to expect post surgery. It will take up to a year for you to feel back to normal. You're energy will improve over time. Plus no doubt you are on pain killers which will zap your energy, not to mention what a general anaesthetic does to you.
    Rest when you need to, do regular small walks and if hubby is still concerned have him talk to your doctor.
    Take care
  • yooper said:
    I am 10 days post op. I'm still so sore (shoulder blades) and haven't done much of anything. Still taking my Anexia 3X/day. Hubby keeps telling me that I should feel better by now. I just have no energy to do anything except sleep and relax in my recliner.

Should I be feeling better by now or is this normal? I had a one leved ADCF C6/7. Input appreciated. Thanks!

Howdy Tina,

I had ACDF for the C6/7 level back in August. For whatever reason, I was still "low energy & tired" for like a month! As to the pain you are experiencing - NORMAL!!! Your neck and upper body are adjusting to the new limitations from the fusion, and too your body is still healing from the trauma of surgery.

I agree with what was posted before me, have your hubby come to your follow up with your surgeon. I have a wonderful and supportive hubby, and if there is surgery on the table, or my (at least) first 2 follow ups from surgery, I bring him along. I think it has made a major difference in how he understands the fragility one has as they heal from spinal surgeries - especially fusion. Take care, and if you are tired, then let your body tell you - rest. Take care!! *HUG* in support. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Last night we were at my brother-in-laws house. My husband starts complaining about all the doctors visits in the past year since my accident. I looked at him and told him straight out he had some nerve. He took off work the day after my accident but I went to the lawyer alone and took the car to the body shop alone so I'm not sure why he needed to stay home. He missed my first surgery completely. The second one he was layed off from work so he was home anyway and then went hunting 3 days later and left me with the kids and the house. He has gone to exactly 1 doctors appointment.

So Yooper tell your husband to get off your back and do the dishes!!
  • I didn't mean for it to sound like my husband was not supporting me, I just think that he doesn't "get it" or realize that I still need to heal even though on the outside I look okay. He has been wonderful around the house and helping out.

I just have had a lot of people make that comment to me about how I should be feeling better by now and so I was questioning whether I should step it up a bit or not.

I really have done a lot of nothing except sleep and I guess that is good for healing. I don't see the doctor until March 18th which will be a month post op. I'd like to go in sooner cuz' I have a large lump above my incision that is concerning. Now I know why I still have trouble swallowing. It doesn't hurt....it's just irritating.

Thanks to everyone for validating that I am doing the right thing. I guess this all takes time. I sure don't want to have any sort of setback.

• It may still be of value to sit down with him and read the sections regarding recovery (don't show him this thread, he'll think we're hammering him lol).
    It is hard when you can't see a physical injury to understand recovery times.
  • 10 days is extremely early! I'm 7 months and now getting back into life. I'm not 100% but getting close.

My husband came to all my early doctor appointments which was important. He tends to think I'm "wonder" woman so he needed to hear from the doctor that it is a very long process.

I had 3 levels done so it took me long to get my head to stay up lol. You may heal faster due to have just one level done.
  • don't worry about what other people think. I am 4and a half months out of onle level PLIF and still have bad days (weeks really) and could sleep the clock round.
    I look fine and "people" think I should be fixed now!
  • I hve to agree with the above posters. I had C567 fused and lumbar stenosis done, both anterior and posterior on Nov. 6th 2009. I still feel pain, still popping these damn pills. Most days i dont have to take a pain killer till about 2pm. Its a long road, dont let anyone rush you, not even the doctor. My doc tells me i should be able to get by with Tylenol by now. I wish i could tell him what he can do with that suggestion! I was lucky,was in extreme pain up until Valentines day. Only thing Doc gave was Vicodin. After browsing this site, the good people suggested a muscle relaxant. my wife just happens to b a nurse and i was able to get some. What a difference! Stay positive, its very hard to do. you can expect some depression over time, but it will start to get better. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope ur recovery is easier then mine. this site will help you, it REALLY helped me!