Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery in 8 hours!!

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I'm having my microD in the morning, well I guess today since it is 2 am! Any last minute tips/prayers would be more than welcome!! The nerves are starting to hit big time. Do you think the would give me something for that when I get there in the morning?? I think that two hour wait for the surgery will be the worst. Well goodnight all, I will try to get on here and post afterwards as I will have the laptop with me!
advertisement

Comments

• Good Luck today. I am sure everything will go well for you and you will be feeling better soon. Just make sure you have things at waist level so you dont have to bend. Look at the bathroom. Put stuff on top of dresser so you dont have to bend.
    I am sure the nurses will give you something to relax you at the hospital. Just tell them you are having some anxiety and they will give you something. Good Luck and will be looking for your first post, letting us know how good you feel! Take care, Robin
  • I just had a Micro D on Thursday. First thing I asked for when I got in pre-op was something for anxiety and they gave me something right away. That really helped. Make sure you behave yourself(no lifting, bending twisting)I know I'm being very careful this time. I'll be praying for you and wishing you all the best and to be pain free
    Gary
  • Good luck and best wishes for today. Everything will be fine and soon you'll be in the land of nod.
    Thinking of you.
    Kylie
  • Sorry I missed this...I'm usually up late.
    Best wishes today...remember, the next 6 weeks is all about you and your recovery...no one else. Your kids, hubby, and house will all survive even if things aren't as clean as you'd like them.

No rush to get us an update.

We are all praying for an easy recovery.

And yes....listen to Gary! No bending, lifting, twisting (or sitting for more than 10 mins...save it for meals and bathroom). And if possible lots of small walks (5 mins every hour or so).

• Hope that all is going well and that you have good pain control when you wake up.

All you have to do now, is rest and heal! That sounds very easy doesn't it!!
    I hope that you have an uncomplicated recovery.

Will be watching out to hear how you do.
    I have my decompression and fusion on L4/L5 on 19th March, so will be looking to you for advice.

• Well I got home yesterday from my surgery and so far I'm feeling pretty good. I slept most of yesterday and today, but I have gotten up to take few walks around the house. they actually told me to rest for a few days on my release papers, but the nurse talked to me about walking to prevent scar tissue, so I've been trying to do what I can.

When I woke up I was in such horrible pain even though they kept giving me medicine. But by they time I got into my room, I was ready to get up to go to the restroom. I was a little wobbly at first, but within an hour I was able to get up by myslef to walk to the restroom. I did have a bit of a breakdown with my hubby when they relased me, but I htink i was just scared to come home. My bed is so uncomfortable compared to the hospital bed, I think i may be looking to buy a new matress asap.

Ladies ONLY from here on out please!
    I think I may be getting a yeast infedctin from the antibiotics I was on in the hospital. I know there is no way to treat this at home because I can't reach down there, so which dr. should I call to prescribe me a pill for it. My surgeon or my primary dr. It's just the beginning but I know its gonna get bad because I'm all swollen down there.

Thanks!

• and well done for posting so quickly. It sounds like you are doing well. I worry about waking in terrible pain.

I am in the UK, so don't know where you should get yeast infection tablets from. In the UK, I think we can buy them from the chemist. Also, I think eating probiotic yoghurt is supposed to help after a course of antibiotics. I hope that they manage to deal with that problem quickly.

Keep resting, walking and healing.
  • you're back safe and sound.

In Aus. we can get the tablets over the counter too, not sure if you can, but i'd call the chemist and ask.
    Otherwise buy acidophilus capsules, need to be kept in the fridge.
    Perhaps hubby can help with applying canestan cream to the area too?
    Kylie
  • have your MD call in a script for diflucan(fluconazole)..having surgery and a yeast infection is cruel and unusual punishment. [ The pills are way more effective than the goopy creams.
  • hi, I'm so glad to hear from you!
    Glad you are home and treat yourself to a new mattress if needed!

As for the other question, you got some good reccommendations. I eat yogurt so made sure to stock up before hand and eat one a day (or every other day) and it helps.

Also, I recommend to all lumbar patients -> get colace (stool softener). As silly as it sounds, you don't want to strain doing anything right now and the prescription meds also constipate you.

Good luck, sounds like you are doing well!
  • That you made it out okay and ready to start healing. I used to have those dreaded yeast infections also but eat yogurt everyday now. It also helped to put a cool cloth there to take down the swelling. Hopefully you have a bottom buddy to help apply the cream etc. Maybe your PM Dr. can call in a script for you to make it easier. Wish you healing in every sense. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • AS for my tongue............I had a friend bring me some Lysine that is supposed to help with yeast infections and thrush, which is what I thought it was. So far it has helped with both!!! Also as I was reading about it, I came accross a few websites that said it is good to take after surgery for your soft tissues to recover.

So I think things are looking up!! I'm no longer swollen, my female trouble has left, my toungue feels tons better, now I just need to get this drainage issue under control and this headache to go away!

Thanks!

PS. Anything I can do to help my staples stop itching?? I get them out on friday, but they are driving me NUTS LOL
  • you can rub a little sorbelene onto and around the area. It might help a little.
    With regards to yeast infection, I used to get them a lot and I mean constantly. I found out from the chemist that you shouldn't clean your tushie with soap as it washes all the good bacteria away, which then leads to an imbalance.
    I use a product called Femfresh which is basically a ph neutral cleanser, so it doesn't upset the balance.
    Glad to hear your feeling better though
    I must have missed the part about the drainage issue, what has happened there?
    Kylie
advertisement