Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second surgery T7-8

jgandeejjgandee Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a second surgery to repair my T7-8 disc. The last surgery was a microsurgery which only removed a piece of the disc, but did not fix the spinal cord compression. They also put screws and rods on the back of the vertebras to lift up some on the disc. This second surgery will be to remove the old hardware, and then enter through the side, flatten out a lung, and go to behind the heart to remove the disc. There will be a long recovery time from this. I am looking forward to getting on the recovery side of this one.

• Wow when is your surgery? This sounds like it will be quite a ordeal! I am wishing you well. I hope that this will give your the results you are looking for. You have so many herniations. What was is caused from. Good Luck to you! I will be waiting for your positive outcome! Take Care, Robin
  • My surgury is scheduled for March 10. I will keep you updated. The heriations were discovered about 3 years ago. I have been very active and noticed several things happening, now age 49. It is now a constant battle to stay mobile. I am hoping for good results, but it will take some time to see the benefits. Thanks.
  • That one sounds like one huge surgery! Did they have to go in like that before when they put the hardware in the first time - the lung deflation stuff? Yikes.

• Welcome to the 'March surgeries' club.
    There is a thread with that title, so why not come along and join us.

Your surgery does sounds a big one! I suppose that you will have a fusion, but I'm not sure if 'hardware stabilising' is something different.

You certainly have a lot of problems with your spine.
    I hope that this time they deal with your thoracic problems.

I am having lumbar fusion surgery on 19th March. I have other problems in my thoracic and neck, although not had an MRI there, so don't know what is going on.
    On Monday while consulting with my surgeon, he shocked me by saying that he'll sort out my neck problems at a later date! (I have symptoms in my arms and fingers.)
  • The first surgery on my thoracic was done by drilling a hole through the rib and going in microscopically to remove a part of the disc. The access was limited and they could not get the part of the disk off the spinal cord. This second surgery will remove the back hardware, and then go in the front to remove the disc and do a fusion.

Jellyhall, my doctors have delt with my issues one at a time. It started in the neck and then worked there way down. They also start with the worst areas and wait after a repair to see what has improved and what has not. It will take some time to work these out. They were not ready to admit I had multiple issues until they did the first surgery. The good reason for this is to not do any more surgeries than is needed. If you have multiple issues, be patient with it. But, at the same time, write down the areas where you have pain, burning, weakness and numbness so you and your Dr can accurately access your situation. Drs rely on the MRI scans, but the real reasons for probing further are because of your symptoms. Take Care.
  • Oompleted second surgery. currently recovering and cleveland clinic. They were actually able to go in through the back and remove small pieces of the disk to decompress the spine. They did not need to deflate a lung to do this. Surgery was a little more than 2 hours to fix T7-8. Going well so far.

• It is great to hear from you jgandee. It sounds like you are doing amazingly well. Great that the surgery was simpler than expected. Let's hope that your recovery will be simplet too.

Try to rest and let your body heal. Do you know how long you will be in hospital?

From now on it is up to your body to heal from this. Follow all the rules to help yourself along.

Take care
  • And they didn't have to do more extensive surgery like with the lung. I hope you heal completely from your surgery and have a complete recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My recovery will take about 4 weeks. I had a PT evaluation today. I can walk about 1/2 a hallway at the moment. I should go home saturday (2 days from now). I will be at home for 4 weeks to recover. The incision is large and I still have a drain tube in. Only doing what my body will let me. Thanks for the comments.