Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

You know you're desperate for a smoke when...

EMTgoneNUTZEEMTgoneNUTZ Posts: 321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Stop Smoking
you're tearing the house apart, looking in every nook & cranny for enough change to buy a pack...& you find a pack of home-rolled cigs from THREE YEARS AGO....& you light up....

I'm not quitting because I want to, I'm only quitting because I have no income & can't afford to smoke! I think that makes it doubly hard. I'm used to my Marlboro 100's & I thought my Mum's cigs were nasty (Basic ultra-lights). I can't believe I even hung onto these. I never liked home rolled cigs, but when I was with my ex b/f, that's what he smoked b/c he couldn't justify spending the going rate for brand name smokes. He rolled these for me one time when he was trying to get me to switch to save $.

Man, if these nasty things don't get me to quit, I don't know WHAT will! I don't look forward to lighting these up at all...it was pure desperation that dared me to do it & after only smoking half of one I couldn't stand it anymore. Blach!!

Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit....I've quit smoking so many times, but always picked that "just one" up & got hooked all over again. Perhaps finding these nasty old stale ones will be what it takes to finally get me to "want" to quit, cause I sure as heck don't wanna HAVE to light up another one....I'm not kidding, they're THAT bad!

Keeping you all in thoughts & prayer...

• If that get you to stop smoking. send me the rest.lol

You are in my prayer

(((((((((((( >:D< ))))))))))0

• You got it Jim! Whatevers left of these nasty things (I just nicknamed them my "icky sticks, lol) are all yours once I'm done with them (which hopefully won't take many!).

To be honest, I have some Chantix that's been expired for a year now that I'm tempted to start taking just to be done with it. When I tried it before, it really worked..it was ME that failed! I recently spoke with my Dr about getting a new prescription for it, but she didn't want to add another medication to the mix just yet with my liver enzymes and some other blood test #'s all over the place. (obviously she wants me to quit smoking, but I understand her concern in wanting to wait a bit longer before putting me on another medication) Maybe I shouldn't take the old Chantix I have...hell I dunno what to do! I just know that I have no money, and none on the horizon & quite honestly it's silly to keep wasting what little money I do get on cigs anyway-plus the fact I'm hoping to have surgery soon and while my Spine Dr hasn't mentioned it yet, I'm sure he'll be on me to quit before the surgery like so many others I've read here had to.

I'll make you a deal-If nothing else, you can have the snazzy blue (practically new) plastic case that my ex got me from the smoke shoppe where he bought the tobacco/paper tubes from. To be honest, I'm thinking that's the reason I kept them all this time-because I like the case-but since I've always smoked 100's, they don't fit. I can't think of any other reason why I would have kept them-it certainly wasn't to "hold onto" my ex-boyfriend, or because of any feelings or anything...lets just say we didn't end on "friendly terms", so there are VERY few things I still have that were from that 5 years of my life ;-) And it's SURELY not because I enjoy them! *blach!*
  • Hi,hope you're doing well today.Trying to quit smoking is probably the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.But I really need to do it too.The money they cost us is crazy,its a nasty habit and as we all know not too healthy..lol. Goodluck to you.Does the chantix really work?I have a prescription but my insurance won't cover them.Anyways..have a good day. Mark
  • Marks107, just to stick my 2 cents in here. I quit smoking last year March 22nd using Chantix. I was a 2+ pack a day smoker for 42 years. I am low income so I was able to get it for free directly from the company that makes it. My sister has insurance and even so has to pay about $40 per mo for it. She and my daughters all had bad side effects from it - I had none. It has become what I call my "miracle drug". After I had taken it for about 5 days I was at the computer when I realized I hadn't smoked or wanted to for about 8 hours. For me, that was unheard of! Two days later I smoked my last cigarette. Expensive yes, but worth gold if you can take it.
  • My brother also had wonderful success using Chantix. :) He was a 3 + pack a day ! :jawdrop: But I really think it was the massive heart attack and the fact he died and they brought him back to life that worked for him to quit - go figure lol ;)

I am a smoker and make mine & hubby's. It is on my goal list to quit this year.

I applaud all of you who have managed to beat the nicotine demon =D>

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Tomorrow's my day to quit completely. I'm worried. What I find is Chantix keeps you from getting that -- I'm going to dig a 3 year old pack of rolled cigarettes out and smoke I've got the heebie geebies so bad (LOL!).

Now today I feel like poop! Walked for an hour yesterday and than worked planting in my garden for most of the afternoon. So far the side effects have been tolerable but if they get worse, I may stop the chantix and try the patch or gum.

About the cost -- right now buying the monthly chantix is cheaper than buying 1 pack of smokes a day. I HAte that I have this addiction -- I sure hope the Chantix works.

Good luck to all of you who are trying -- I think I'll be chewing a lot of gum and mints (LOL!)

• There are a number of threads in this section about Chantix. Including side effects and other issues. Just browse through them. I wrote up 1 thread on some suggestions about how to use the Chantix. For examplke, I couldn't tolerate 2x pills per day. 1 was more than enough.

I've used it twice and it worked well for me. There are side effects and you have to watch out for them. That considered, it got me to kick a 30yr habit. Gum, patches and the like did not help me. Also, if you are fusing, then gum and patches might not be a good choice. They can be just as loaded with nicotine as the cigarettes.

• That you are DONE smoking, not "just one more".

I quit one month before I got married and it was Very, Very hard. But I did it, friends, including my wife took out bets I would not make it through the wedding. I did it and the 23 years that have followed.

It's a crappy deal and I'll tell you what my wifes uncle told me, he missed them for 2 years. Each day ever so slightly better, but still a long process. I agree, you miss the motions and the habits. The demand for the nicotine drops away. It's the reach for the cigarette or lighter that you do automatically that reminds you for the longest time.

Fusions and other surgeries can require that same commitment, so give it your all, every bit of you to stop smoking.
  • The one time I did have a long success I sucked on those mini lollipops like crazy - who was that cop type guy on TV that always had a lollipop in his mouth? Kojak or something like that.

BUT it really does help.

Also I have fake cigs and went through the motions of smoking, which helped as well. They have them in a light cinnamon flavor and in a pretty strong mint flavor. I don't know if I am aloud to post the link to the site that sells them, so PM me if you are interested :)

I can't even remember now what made me give up the quit X( with these 2 tools I was doing really well too ~X(
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I was just posting on my thread about feeling guilty and this subject came up-since that was already a lengthy enough post I decided to put the quitting part over here where it belongs.

To catch up on what I said over there-I'm still trying to get the Chantix from my PCP. Long story short, I have an appt on 5/5 to see if I can get the Dr that I usually see to 'override' the "main Dr" and write me for the Chantix. Mister Doc seems to think that there is too much of an interaction risk with my pain meds to take Chantix, but I discussed it with my Pharmacist when I picked up some refills today & she told me that she ran every one of my meds through the interaction alert system with Chantix and not a single one of them poses an interaction risk. I know that the Chantix worked before-I remember how amazed I was that it seemed so much easier than I had ever dreamed, considering all the times I've quit before in the 22 years that I've been smoking (wasn't the meds fault my dumb self decided to bum "just one" from a friend after I had completed my month of Chantix & didnt get a refill!) Anyway, I'm certain that Dr Ma'am will side with me on this one, especially considering I HAVE to quit by surgery day per the Ortho Surg. I know at some point or another I've tried everything else (except hypnosis-only b/c I can't afford that!) & Chantix was by far the best smoking cessation method I've used and while I do still enjoy smoking, I KNOW I will enjoy my new life w/o so much pain after surgery a whole lot more & I doubt I will be dumb enough to risk not fusing because I start smoking again once I'm discharged from the hospital after the fusion surgery is done. I've waited FAR too long for this chance to begin this next chapter in my life-it would be downright stupid of me to blow it over cigarettes! (Just gotta keep praying for the strength & will power for the "habit" part of quitting-I'm debating between the e-cig or something else to occupy that hand-to-mouth motion BESIDES FOOD-maybe straws or something? I dunno...I'll figure something out-right now I'm just focused on getting that Chantix!)

I swear, if I manage to do it this time-and I figure I'll probably be in the hospital for several days (anyone know how long a typical hospital stay is for a fusion?), so my plan is to get better about smoking outside only (right now I'm only smoking in my bedroom when inside-which is where my computer is now), then get rid of the ashtrays, lighters, etc. before I'm admitted so that when I come home I have no means to start up again-since I won't be able to drive & Cam's not old enough yet to go buy them for me, it shouldn't be very easy for me to start again....that's the hope anyway! I figure if I've been able to quit before hand-GREAT! If not, I'll enjoy my last smoke on the way to the hospital on surgery day & hand off the lighter & whatever smokes I may have left to my dad (who I KNOW won't give them back-he'll pitch them or give them to mum).

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm going to put $6/day into my "cruise fund jar", or towards whatever other things I'm wanting to buy/do so that I can see the money building up that I'm saving from not smoking. So far, it hasn't worked, but that's also largely due to the fact that I haven't begun receiving my SSDI/SSI payments yet. My income is only around $70 p/month and practically all of it is going to these stupid Marlboro's (plus when mum buys me some when I'm out & have no money left). I think that because I've been living in such poverty for so long now, that when the money starts coming in (I'm praying in May since I was awarded the fully favorable on 4/1), that it should be super easy to put at least 50% of that money away that's left over after paying bills. I've gotten so "used to" not having money that I think I'm strong willed enough not to let myself ever get this poor again & I've always enjoyed watching my various accounts "grow", so that should hopefully be more incentive to stay quit from smoking. (I hope, I hope, I hope!)

Oh, btw-just gotta share this....Ya'll know by now that I'm a cruise addict, right? But I haven't been on one since Feb 2007 (when I was still with my ex b/f). Well I was talking to Cameron (my 17yr old) about what he wants to do about his HS Graduation open house next year since he doesn't have many friends down here-he spent all his life in Michigan until we moved here last summer. I told him that we can go up to Michigan and have his open house there, or he can choose a more expensive gift in lieu of the party, or cash. The first words out of his mouth were "I know you'll say no but what I'd REALLY like to do is have you, me, G'ma & G'pa go on a cruise!" After doing some looking, thinking & discussing with my 'rents about that (they are also cruise addicts), we have booked a 7-night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Legend leaving out of Tampa on June 12, 2011 (2 days after he'll graduate!)...AND...it's the first AFT balcony I've had, so I'm WICKED excited! (the last cruise I went on was my first balcony, but my 'rents had an aft so I got to see what it's like....OMG, no wonder the aft's are so coveted! The view is an amazing panoramic view & there's NO wind b/c the ship is going forward!) I am definitely proud of my son for wanting to spend time doing something with family when he easily could've just gotten cash & blown it-now he'll have a memory of a lifetime! (of course I will make the same offer to my other sons when they graduate, but since they live with their dad, I don't have to worry about the open house-I'll just chip in some $ for theirs, and the boys can choose to go on a cruise too or get cash or a specific gift. Somehow I bet at least 2 of the 3 opt for the cruise after they hear how "cool" it is when Cam & I get back from his Grad. Gift Cruise!)

So, how's that for a "Congrats, you quit smoking & btw you're also old enough to have a son graduated from HS gift?" LOL Thank goodness Jeffrey still has a couple years yet-he'll be a Sophomore next year, and Ryan (my "baby") is still in Jr High for a few years yet...he'll be in 7th grade in the fall. I'll be happy no matter what they opt to do, I just can't wait to see my babies walk up on that stage and flip that tassle over to the other side of their cap.....My boys are pretty amazing-they've been through a lot, especially since I've been disabled, and while I don't want them to grow up sometimes, I AM looking forward to seeing what THEIR next chapters in life are, having daughters-in-law & grandbabies (not just yet tho! lol). All the more reason to stay quit once I'm discharged post-op, right?!

*ya'll know I'm gonna have meltdowns & need you to remind me of all of these great reasons to quit, right?* =O

Hey, one last thing..is anyone else thinking sometime in May for their quit date? Maybe we could make it around the same time & be like 'quit buddies' or something? I dunno if that works, but the only person I know since I've moved really that smokes is my mum and I know damn well she's never going to quit (she smokes 3.5 to 4 packs PER DAY, and I'm NOT exaggerating!) She used to smoke more when she drank, but since she's been sober-I think it's been like 2.5-3years now-she's cut back on her cigs. You know the type-put one out and light one up while the first one's still smoldering in the ashtray..? Yea...that's my mumma! I dunno how she does it-my throat and chest hurt so bad when I used to go out to the bar w/friends & I'd smoke like 2 packs in a day, and that wasn't an all the time thing!

So-more than enough about my slow quitting process...how are the rest of ya doing? I've been keeping everyone in thoughts & prayers for the pain AND the smoking (& other 'stressers' in our chronic pain lives). I've tried to keep up with the posts but did I miss anyone that's quit recently, or begun the process of quitting or anything? If so, way to go!!! Welcome to the quittin' club! =)

OK-it's working towards 6am and I've been up since 6:20am yesterday (didnt even get my regular daily nap it was such a crazy day!) so I really need to try and get some sleep-then I hope to get to the pool and catch some sun. I haven't laid out much lately-I'm lookin' like a bloody tourist, not a full fledged Floridian! (haha!) It's supposed to rain sometime later Saturday into Sunday so I'd like to get some sun while I can, plus the humidity is going to start rising today-I need to have a real good base going before the 'sticky season' starts b/c when it's that humid out you can't hardly lay out-you stick to the chairs, the cement around the pool is hot to walk on, etc., not to mention the pool is always full of people & until I lose a good 20+ lbs I'm too self conscious to be around too many people in a bathing suit (not to mention that my anxiety level goes up the more people that are around me). I'm already darker than I've been the last several summers, but still pretty pale compared to the rest of the "locals"-especially my legs-I think they might even glow in the dark! ;-P

I'll check back sometime later today-may not be until evening though depending on what the day brings.

Have a SPECTABULOUS day everyone! And keep up the good work to all my fellow 'weaners-n-quitters' here! We CAN do this, Cause we've got each other! Right gang?

• Chantix worked great for me!! My insurace covered it completely. $0 co-pay. Can't beat free. The only side effect I experienced was very vivid dreams. Not necessarily nightmares, just very real dreams. The ones you wake up from thinking "wtf"? LOL I smoked for 28 yrs. So, it was a hard habit to kick. I'm not sure I will ever NOT want to smoke. It's worth it to be free of them!!
  • The cruise sounds so awesome and glad you're son is looking forward to it. I just started taking wellbutrin(zyban) and the insurance pays for it because my Dr. gives it to me as an anti-depressant but it is zyban as it worked for me before but stopped taking it for some reason. So i'm hoping it takes away the cravings like before. Best wishes for you to stop also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry & Trasee! Trasee..congrats on being smoke free! As much as I enjoy smoking, I don't enjoy throwing $6+ away every day, and like I said, I'm not going to do anything to ruin the fusion after battling as long as I have to even be able to get it done!

Charry-I remember trying Zyban years ago...can't remember if it helped the cravings or not-all I remember is that it made me feel like every hair on my body was standing straight up & that I had bugs crawling on me! I'm quite certain that's the reason I stopped taking it LOL. (this had to have been back in 1998 when my youngest was born)

Again, thanks for the support...will keep ya'll posted & will be watching your posts too!

Have a great day! Weather guy said this morning that today will be the last "cool" (low 80s/low humidity) day around here until Autumn so I'm planning to be outdoors in the sun as much as possible! Wish I had a house where I could do things in my yard like I used to-flowers and such, but the plus side is that we have a lawn service that takes care of all the work, which as you all know, is nice to not have to deal with when you're in pain 24/7 ;)

Gonna go check my other posts, then perhaps lay back down for a bit, then off to the pool! Toodles!