Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain: Has this happened to you?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a question and would like some fellow neckie's opinions. I went and saw Avitar in 3D yesterday which is a 3-hour movie. Today my neck pain is really bad. My question: Is it possible that my neck pain is from watching that yesterday (it was so good I'm not sure I ever even moved)? Or is it probably just a coincidence?

• Just guessing, but I'm betting it was the angle you had to hold your head while watching the movie. Even a slight tilt upward puts stress on the neck.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Last week I went to a movie for the first time in ages and before the movie was half over I could barely hold my head up and the pains in my neck were awful. Also my legs from the knees down were numb. Wish there was something we could do for enjoyment that wouldn't cause pain. Thought I would be safe with such a sedentary activity. I expected stiffness after sitting but that was all. This was the first time I had so much pain in this situation.
    Hang in there O:) O:)
  • I go to the movies about 1 per week. I know it is too much but my life has been kind of on hold for the last 9 months! After the movie I try to walk at the mall for another 30-45 minutes.

I pick a theater that has rocking seats, I try to sit in the back of the theater or elevated so I don't have to cock my head at all. If at all possible I put my feet on the chair in front of me and push my self back a little.

I try to plan in to take my meds just after I take my seat. That way any side effects have usually passed after a couple of hours.

My problem has been holding the popcorn and feeding myself. My hands don't work well so it is quite a challenge. A small popcorn never gets eaten before my hands give up.

• As an individual who has neck issues, I find that I need to sit in the rear of the theater in order to keep from causing myself too much discomfort. Think of it as working out. When you lift weights with muscles that aren't used to the motion or the amount, the next day they tend to tell you. Same with holding that bowling ball like thing on top of your neck. It gets heavy and the muscles strain to hold it in place.

• I have always preferred sitting in the back in the theatre. There is no one talking behind me, or chomping popcorn during the entire film . Now that I have c spine issues, it is imperative that I sit in the back. I avoid small theatres and find that it is sometimes tough to find a companion since friends usually like to sit in the middle. If I sit on the side, keeping my neck turned is uncomfortable. An early arrival at the theatre is mandatory to get my preferred seat. Sitting in the middle helps too...no more sitting on the side aisles.