Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Learning to manage my pain

CafeAulaitCCafeAulait Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've been in pain for about five years. Only recently has a doctor ordered X-rays for me so we could see what's been going on. Diagnosis DDD and DJD right knee. Prior to this, I spent the better part of the past five years on one narcotic pain med or another. After weaning myself off the meds, I made the decision to try medical marijuana. It's legal in my state so I registered for a mmj card and purchased my first bit of medicine. I was doubtful that it would be helpful, but I figured I didn't have anything to lose. That was two months ago.

I can tell you this about medical marijuana. It has helped me tremendously. No, it doesn't take all the pain away, all the time, but it sure as heck takes a big part of it away by acting as an anti-inflammatory. I only need a very little bit several times a day to keep me up and operating. Has anyone else tried mmj and would you care to share your experiences with it regarding your pain?

• Cafe welcome to the spine board :)

I am not allowed in my state to use this and it would mean legal charges as well as losing my Dr, so for me it's a no go :(

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have not personally tried it either but have seen folks here talk about it. I don't know that I would try it if it were legal in my state because I am a child of the 70s and have tried it when I was younger. I did not like the way that it made me feel at all. Of course I don't really care for some of the side effects from my pain killers either.

I had no idea that it had anti inflammatory properties. That is interesting.

Anyway good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • we are not allowed it even for medical reasons .there is a loophole that some doctors can get the sartivax/sativex ??? on a no named patient basis ..but its so hard to do my doctor said that he wopuld not get it for me as he did not think it would help me ..i have tried street cannabis and it did nothing for me all it did was make me hungry! .i will stick to my oxycontin
  • Hi Cafe and welcome to Spine-Health.

Just a reminder to the members: We've had topics on medical marijuana posted many times in the past and many times it gets off topic because some members choose to make it an anti-medical marijuana rant.

Please keep this post on topic. If any of the admin, mods, or authority members see this thread turning into a rant or going off topic in a negative direction, it will be closed.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

• Cath, could you direct me to some of those other posts about mmj? I'd be interested in reading them.
  • I too live in a Anti-state, so not a option for me, I have never heard of it as a Anti-inflammatory, I could see how it would take your mind off of it and if you couldn't eat, it would help you eat. But for right now I will stick to my prescibed meds.

Good luck. ;)
This discussion has been closed.