Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Calling all "spiney" friends

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Woke up today, feeling defeated! I feel awful (still). I required 3 blood transfusion, which isn't huge surprise. In addition My oxyger sat. remained low and my heart rate high.My just kept telling my hubby when he would ask " I just don't feel well" Turns out I also have pheumonia and plureal emmersion. cOmbine = not feeling well.

Had a Transfusion site put in during surgery with stiches, they were taken out. Today's events with be laysics, and to get my Oxygens stats exceptable. Please keep my in yours prayers. I just need a sign I'm on the right path. I exspected pain and associated difficulties, but not all this illness. Thanks "spiney's"!

sorry 'bout 'them typos!! :-)

• I've been praying for you since the day you headed in. I'm sorry you hit a bump in the process. The transfusions are relatively normal but stinks that you got pneumonia...I know exactly what you mean when you say "I just don't feel well"...it's a lousy feeling.

It's ok to feel defeated for a little bit...but you are where you need to be and it seems they are serious about making sure you get to 'feeling better'.

I'm just beyond amazed that you are on here giving updates...it says a lot about your fortitude and fight! Worry about you and trust that we are all here praying for you and a speedy recovery so you can come home and heal in a comfortable place.

Gentle Hugs!
  • Hey jay..I know it doesn't feel like it, but you are on the path to getting better. Sounds like you are having your share of bumps and then some, though! Is the lasix today to get excess fluid off?

I want to tell you something. I stayed in the hospital for 8 days after surgery and I felt SO bad! SO sick. Some days at first, I wondered if I was ever going to get better! Especially the oxygen problem..man that sucked. BUT, yesterday I had my 4 month check-up. I drove myself to the doc's, ate lunch at Red Lobster and washed my motorcycle. I'm not all better, but much better. I made it, and so will you! And don't worry about the typo's darlin'. It's hard to type when you're half drugged up and have tape on yer fingers :)

Get better
  • you know we are here for you and our prayer are on the way. Sorry you having a few bad days. We are hoping you soon to have pain free days.

(((((((((((((((( >:D< )))))))))))))))0

• If it rains, it pours! Sorry to hear you're having such misery and complications. You're in my prayers every day. Thanks for keeping us posted. You're amazing to be able to post at all! You'll be on the other side of this pretty soon and on the mend. Hang in there. Gentle :hug:

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled

• that you are having such a rough ride. This is not the start that you expected or hoped for, but slowly things will get sorted out and you will move forward in your recovery to smoother ground.

Try to rest and relax while you wait to get over this big hump in the way of the better days to come.

I'll be praying for you, my friend, along with lots of other spineys.

Look to the sunny horizon, through all the rocks and boulders. You will be over there before too long. Just keep hanging in there.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    all of this happened to you. Please keep in mind, that you just had one of the most difficult back surgeries there are. My first fusion was a 360 Ant./Post. 360. I also had problems, You were Anaesthetised for such a long time. Our bodies just weren't made for that!
    I know your scared and sick. So was I. But with the antibiotics they are giving you, and the breathing exercises, You will be fine. It just takes a while.
    Remember, it is a very tough surgery and you are expected to feel like crap for a while. But look how tough you are, corresponding with us while in recovery. I could not have done that even if I did have a computer with me. YOUR DOING GOOD! =D>
    Good luck, Jim ;)
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Sorry you're having so many complications. The problem with antibiotics is that it kills all the good bacteria in your body and leaves you vunerable to other problems. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to take big doses of PROBIOTICS EITHER IN LIQUID FORM OR PILLS. This will help your body assimilate all the drugs more efficiently and keep your system working more normally. I had recent gall bladder surgery and the surgeon recommended the probiotics to keep my system normal. I intend to do the same thing when I have my PLIF L2 to L5 fusion on April 7th.

Hope this helps you....Marsha
  • I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough go of it. I pray you will heal and have a better time of healing from your back surgery. I will keep on praying for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm sorry you're going through this - you've had a lot of hurdles to jump during this ordeal, but you're in the best place right now and will be on the right road to recovery really soon.

Just hang in there and concentrate on getting better. We're all here for you and sending you good wishes, prayers and hugs.

• I will be thinking of you and praying for some healing - you are really going through the wringer!

Hopefully the transfusions will get in there and help you get strong enough to heal faster and be stronger. I'll keeping thinking of you.
  • :D :D :D Smiles around! Sounds like you're in a movie on the "SCI FI" channel (LOL!) -- Honey, you just lie there and let your body feel like crap. Patience and time will get you through this along with your family, friends and your SH friends, who are praying for your healing.

THis will all be a distant memory soon enough. You just rest and take care of yourself -- not missing anything on the outside but bad weather and fat pants!

Sending more O:) O:) O:) O:) to watch over you!

• So sorry you are having such a rotten time. My recent surgery didn't go as planned and it was scary for us all. Hang in there and know we are all sending positive vibes and all our love n' gentle hugs. Good Luck, try to relax and let your body heal. Gentle Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • >:D< >:-D< :hug: All I got is a hug to offer you. Hope it helps. {{{Hugs}}}
  • These are all fixable situations but sure it sucks to endure them. Try to have patience and will all be a faded memory. thinking of you! Lynette
  • So sorry to hear about all your problems! Don't know if it will help much but I am sending positive thoughts your way. :)

• that today will be a more comfortable and more hopeful day for you Shari.

Still praying for you!!
    Hang in there - this is just a stage.
  • That Lasix will have you feeling better in no time, it get's rid of the exces fluid.
    Make sure you continue to do your deep breathing exercises and wriggle those feet regularly.
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell, pneumonia can make you feel really crappy.
    Hope you make a speedy recovery.
    take care
  • So sorry you're having such a rough time, but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Sending you >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I just read back on my first post after surgery...I haven't felt well enough to repost till today! Typing problems definitely forgiven! I sure hope so cuz mine was full of em;)

We went through this stuff at the same time...thoughts and prayers are still as we said they would be. I so hope you feel better soon....family, friends and positive energy from this board will help you along. So feel better, stay positive, and let the love in!!

Take it easy ms Sheri, I'm thinking of you!!!

• wow- so sorry to hear you are still having a rough ride. I am sending you positive thoughts and a gentle hug over the atlantic. xxx
  • I am thinking of you!This is such a big surgery-like my fellow spineys said---it just takes awhile-everyday will get better and better!Let everyone take care of you,and you do the resting!love,Jeannie
  • Shari, I hate to hear you are so sick on top of such a rough surgery. I hope the healing process speeds up. My bff had a serious bout with pneumonia in the last 2 weeks and it is hard to get over. Keep up the deep breathing. Sending good vibes your way.

Take Care,

• I'm still praying for you; that today will be a better day for you, and that you will see some improvement and know that you are on the way to recovery.

Take care and rest while your body heals.
  • Shari...I am guessing you are taking good rest to work on recovery. I will continue to pray for you and perhaps just a few more days in the hospital will be enough to get you where you need to be before coming home. Remember it's not a sprint to recovery....it's a marathon. As they say "Slow and steady wins the race".

Gentle hugs and hope you feel better soon!
  • in on you to let you know still thinking of you. Hope you have a full tank in the blood department and feeling stronger. Lynette
  • got to come home last night~aweful night but better day today. Pneumonia seems to be getting better. I am just so overwhelmingly tired. Hopefully I will feel up to posting more tomorrow. But I have to ask and just hope/pray I'm not alone in this.....OMG I look aweful. There really weren't any mirrors in the hospital and I know why now......I am have so much swelling! Before surgery, I worn a size small PJ's, sent my hubby out today to buy a Large (and there is NO extra room!) :(( Pre surgery my waist was 27-28....it's now at least 35-36! I look as if I am 8 months pregnant! My brace had to be remade....the swelling is going down little by little each day, but OMG! The abdominal swelling is just shocking!

They put an IV Port into my neck using stitches to anchor it in...Now the stitches are out, my neck is purple, black I think there is still a stitch in...

I am so pale, grey skin with purple under my eyes!

Bruises everywhere....Thank God, I can't see my back/butt...Not sure it resembles anything human! I so don't want my hubby to see me looking like this, but He has to change the dressings. today was the abdominal incison~which seems huge, but tomorrow...is the two on my back/butt...I just imagine him running out of the house, either screaming or holding back puking......!

I had NO idea of the physical changes. Is it just me? Thanks "spineys" Hugs xxxxShari
  • can be put down to the pnuemonia, it will take some time for you to feel less crappy and more like normal pre-recovery status.
    The swelling will settle, I was pretty swollen, but am already fat so it didn't bother me that much.
    Your wound should look fine, if there's any readness or pus coming out of it contact your doctor.
    Otherwise just hang in there, you'll feel and look better soon.
    Glad to hear your home though.
    Rest up and take it easy.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    So glad we finally heard from you! I'll bet your happy to be back in your own home. It will all improve with time. You just had one of the most difficult traumatic surgeries there are. So take it easy and slow. Be sure to follow your icing instructions on the swollen areas. Frozen peas work great. Get 3 or 4 bags so they can have plenty of time to re-freeze when you rotate using them. Besides the meds. Ice will be your new best friend!
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • So glad your home Shari! My wife was (is) amazingly supportful and I'm sure your hubby is as well.

Take good care of yourself....you are you, not the container you're in!!! There are a lot of very positive thoughts out there just for you...grab em up...they're yours ;)

Take it easy kiddo...

Peter (alias the dude full off cool fighter jet parts;)
  • Thank you for your support and well wishes! I am wide awake after takng my 4 am pain meds! Your posts made me smile! :) thank you so much for that!

I found that if I organize my meds and set them out in containers maked for midnight, 4 am, 8 am, it makes it so much easier~hubby wakes me up every four hours, hands me the container and then he can go right back to sleep! :)

Yesterday was much harder! Fumbling with 15 different perscriptions, trying to fingure out which one you are to take...:(

I was so excited to come home, walk into my beautiful house and be HOME! I worked so hard before surgery, cleaning etc so it would be so comforting to walk into. You can imagine my surprise when I walked in the door...my "thoughtful" hubby had moved all the furniture to one end of the house....so "there wouldn't be anything for me to bump into" :O I just cried! :( Now I can laugh, but oh my gosh!! Ha! Too funny! Now everything has been moved back and I can walk just fine and safely throughout my home!! :)

Thanks for the suggestion of icing~I had forgotten that since coming home. But the idea of icing my swollen parts just made me giggle....imagine icing a woman's belly who is 8 months pregnant :) I look like there is a watermelon in my belly, only it is slightly shifted to the left side~pleasent visual image huh! If I have strech markes after this...that will just ice the cake!

I wish someone had warned me about the swelling...it really is unbelievable!

I struggle with the memory/image of not being able to breath when they got me up Sat morning to walk. I was "fine" in my bed, eager and ready to walk (after coming out of recovery on Fri pm, I had walked out into the hall way and did great!) So they get me up, my BP drop to about 80/50, My heart rate goes up to about 135, I walk a couple feet, and I can't breathe at all! Strange noises come out, sort of like wheezing, I guess. I know I can't breathe, but I don't know what to do. They call a "code blue" to my room, suddenly my room is full of nurses, doctors, etc. They try to get my back to bed, but I am very slow, have walker, IV's ect. My perception is that everyone is yelling at me to not panic, that I am anxious due to the pain and surgery and asking if I have anxiety disorder. I can't respond, I can't breathe and these strange noises keep coming out my mouth as I try to breathe. In my mind I'm thinking, "You freaking #@^*#, I DON"T have an anxiety disorder, I can't #@^*# breathe!" After what seems like forever, a god send doctor came in and said, someting is really wrong and it's not anxiety.

I've been CPR certified for 26 years, and all I could think of, is, It's me they are going to do CPR on, but I am cognitively aware....I'm not passing out....

I hope and pray these memories fade, they are haunting me and in the quiet of the night, they come back....I feel for my hubby, having been there, watching, but not able to help!

Thank you so much for all your support, prayers and well wishes! It means the world to me and I don't know what I would do without you all!

You all have suggested, to go slow and not measure recovery by each day. I constantly reflect back on this, and it is so true! I'm learning to live in blocks of 4 hour units, as I get pain meds each 4 hours

Thanks again for all your support! "Spiney's RROCK!"
    Have a great day ya'll! Shari