Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The start to my Tuesday...(Murphy's Law!)

EMTgoneNUTZEEMTgoneNUTZ Posts: 321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
Wasn't sure which thread to post this under, but thought I'd put it here as it's kinda "all inclusive" with our pains. This is how my day started-I'm posting this for 2 reasons: 1) So that maybe someone can take comfort in knowing that their day MAYBE isn't quite so bad after all, & 2) so that perhaps one day I can look back on this and find the amusement in it somewhere...maybe...

So, I've been watching this (thunder)storm front come in across the Gulf since around 3am when I woke up (for the millionth time) &, naturally, the hardest rain/strongest wind gusts/most lightening just HAD to be when I took Cameron to the bus at 6am! So naturally when I got home I wanted to get inside without getting completely drenched, so I backed the car in (which puts the drivers side toward the building-opposite the wall of rain & literally next to the mostly covered sidewalk). Before I knew it, *thud*! "Jello leg" gives way & flat on my back/left hip I go (of COURSE, that's the hip that hurts the most-what a shocker *sarcasm*)!

So, needless to say, not only did I get I completely soaked, but now I hurt-REALLY hurt-as if my "normal pain" isnt enough. aRgh! (remind me someday that, somehow, there IS some humor to this-or at least perhaps for any of my neighbors that just might have happened to be awake & watching out their front window!) If nothing else, I suppose it's another lesson learned....I generally don't take my cane with me when I take Cam to the bus because my parking spot is the closest & thus far I've not fallen when walking to/from the car to/from the door. Yes I know I should be using it all the time specifically BECAUSE my balance is so poor & I do fall quite often-I just HATE the darn thing & the looks I get from people, mainly because I'm "too young" in most peoples minds to need one. (Murphy's Law...if Tanya falls, it's usually when I'm on stairs or concrete! Since I don't have stairs in the new condo like I did in my old apt in Michigan, I haven't done that in awhile, and actually, come to think of it, I haven't fallen as much since I moved to FL as I did when I still lived in MI-tho it's only been 6.5months since I moved here so I guess I just haven't had as much time to fall, lol) Well, I guess I'll be using my cane even just for the short walk to/from the car from now on (at least if I've learned anything from this I will!). I am VERY grateful; however, that I didn't hit my head & it doesn't appear I've broken anything-I do worry about my hips, especially the left one, after my recent DEXA scan shows I have Osteopenia, most prevalent in the left hip. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have one whopper of a bruise though, actually two-one on the hip area & one right across my low back, which OF COURSE lined up perfectly to whack part of my spine on the curb edge! *sigh & OWEEE!*

I've gotta go take some meds & lay on my heating pad. With any luck I'll be able to get a nap & I REALLY hope I don't have so much added pain from this that will require an appt today with the Spine/Pain Doc (or the ER!)! This is definitely one of the harder spills I've taken, aside from the time in my old apt when I made it almost all the way up my LONG stairs to my bedroom & fell all the way down to the bottom (12 steps from where I fell). Had I not had to wear sweatpants & sweatshirt this morning I'm certain I'd have some "road rash" too-tore the sleeve of my left arm of the shirt up a bit, but better that than skin for sure!

I sincerely hope that you all are having a better start to your Tuesday than I have thus far! :-\ And for all of you who've been locked in the 'frozen tundra' for so long-I hope March is more "lamb" than "lion" so that you can thaw out! This sure has been a brutal winter for pretty much the whole country, which as we all know so well, does NOT help our pain levels any! (that's why I moved to FL...figures the cold air would follow me! I'm tellin ya, my last name shoulda been "Murphy" because Murphy's Law definitely has applied in many, many occasions-this morning being just another example of that! ;-)

Take good care of yourselves today everyone! And thanks for letting me share my morning 'adventure' with you!

• Sound to me you need a big
    (((((((((((((((( >:D< ))))))))))))))))And to let you know you still in are prayer.Hoping you will have a pain free life

• I know they say that you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, but you're not supposed to take that so literally! Easy does it girl. The "I slipped and fell on my ..." competition has been shut down due to an over abundance of participants this winter. I applaud you wanting to bring the games from the frozen North East to warm and balmy Florida, but they don't call them "Winter Games" for nothing. I can just picture you outside like Rocky Balboa in his generic gray sweats, taking on the elements in order to become the ultimate athlete. Seriously you don't have to win the competition today. I would say it's a good time to revert back to the "Recliner Olympics" and try for the best "Armchair Quarterback" award instead.

It's a bummer that you have added pain on top of pain, but the good thing is that at least you know your body's pain receptors are still all in working order. I would recommend finding a more comfortable way of taking inventory of them though.

All joking aside, I hope that your new aches and pain resolve quickly and that you can turn and laugh about the situation by this evening. It is a real blow to the ego to require a cane at such a young age, but if it is something you need to use, use it! I absolutely abhorred needing to use a cane a couple years ago, but my desire for being free of it drove me to use it so I could get out and work on my balance. I got very strange looks from people when I would walk to the gym with a cane, crawl onto a bicycle and ride for an hour. I knew it was the only way to eventually be rid of it. It's funny how we have to use the things we wish the most to be rid of, in order to be rid of them. It took a while but I eventually got rid of it.

Have you discussed with your doc the possibility of working with a physical therapist who specializes in balance issues? That's what was key for me. It's a lot of hard work, but the payoff is awesome.

Have a better afternoon my friend.

• Wow sorry to hear you fell. I hope you have no lasting effects from the fall and use your cane also. I know how you feel and the looks you get from people but it's good to have that cane for support. When I lived and worked in Florida for 2 months those thunder and lightening storms had me worried crossing the street to go to work I wouldn't carry an umbrella for fear of becoming a lightening rod and I still feel the same while using a cane. I hope you feel better. Take care and hug if you want. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) Find anything interesting while you were down there?!! At least for your trouble, you should have found the winning Florida lotto ticket. Darn the luck! Where are those knights in shining armor when you really need them?!

Bless your heart! That really had to hurt! How are you this afternoon? HOpe the meds and heating pad kicked in for you. I live in Orlando and I was up and 6 am this morning and it was pouring. I've left my driver's side window down in the car twice in the last two weeks while it was raining. Fist time I jumped in my car and the cushion I use on the driver's seat was soaked. My rear end was soaked. :| So I had to go back inside and change to dry clothes and then go back out and dry the driver's side door and instrument panel. Well, at lease my car is clean! Same thing this morning -- forgot to close my window again but the car wasn't quite so wet as last time.

I definitely think you'll get to laugh about this incident one day. :D

Take care,

This discussion has been closed.