Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy, leg pain, sciatica, numbness, post op, after surgery

SeelowSSeelow Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. THis is my first post. I hope i reach the right target market here!

I had my first Microdiscectomy L5-S1 10 days ago. I had sciatic pain in my right leg to my foot for 9 months before i decided to go through with surgery. I tried core exercises and Chiro treatment (electronic stim & adjustments). I decided to skip epidurals and traction because the leg pain was too severe for me to live with. I could not even sit still for a movie without the burning pain shooting down my leg! I am happy with my decision. Post op (10days) - I am pain free in my leg and sciatica seems to be gone. I have a little pain when i bend my pelvis forward to stretch. I am hoping this is just part of the healing process and will go away.

What am i looking for in this post? I am hoping other people who have recently gone through the same procedure will reply and post their experiences. Please give us some ideas on what to do and what not to do post op. I am aware of the PT and the do's and dont's, but the doctor's and the direction packages will not know everything. We are the patients who live with it everyday!

Please respond. I wish everyone a speedy recovery and a healthy spine!

Fellow Spiney,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    There are hundreds of post responses dealing with your topic. Too many to include here.
    The best way for you to get the information is start searching and reading
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • awesome! thanks! i am definitely a newbie at this! Thanks for response!
  • hi Seelow,

I'm a fellow Microdiscectomy patient.
    L5-S1 but I've also had a revision on same level (mine re-herniated in the 1st 3 months...or they left a piece behind...unsure).

10 days out is early
    Key basic tips
    - no bending, twisting, lifting
    - do not lift anything bigger than a gallon of milk
    - no lifting over your head
    - keep shoulders/hips in line as best possible
    - no sitting for more than 5-10 mins at a time
    - Several small walks on flat surfaces (I try to walk about 10 mins every hour and a half).

Might I ask why you are stretching? I'm only asking because I was told no stretching just yet. Just the above rules.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Don’t get in a hurry it takes time to recover-keep in your mind u had a major surgery even after u get stitches out and u feel like u can run a marathon like DNICE say 10 days is real early you are close to when a lot of people get hit with a truck –the meds the surge floods the site with before they stitch u up wears off keep us posted on how u r doing
  • Thanks for the comments! I pretty much stopped stretching already and all i do now is walk. About a mile everyday on the treadmill. I will definitely try not to sit as much...i have a desk job (not helping).

I have my follow up appointment soon.

Any advice on what position to sleep in?
  • how did you know that you reherniated the disc again? same back leg pain? or new pain elsewhere?

I wonder if spinal decompression is the way to go this time around? Not sure if its recommended after going through Microdiscectomy. im sure there is a long waiting period.