Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

j.howies Guinea Pig Surgery wk 6

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, last week was better than this week. And it's no ones fault but mine! This isn't my first picnic and I should know better than to "push" it. I was walking 45 to 50 min. at a time on fairly flat land. And that's kind of hard to find up here in the mountains. But I had a short course. And could go back and forth. Till my time was in. I wanted to do my old course that includes more hills and about 600 yds. of a good 20% grade. MISTAKE!!! My surgeon and his P.A. told me not to push things when I had told them at a earlier appointment, that I was up to 35 min. They said it would be better to do more shorter walks of 20 mi. But I never have been one to follow orders. And I have a very thick head,(stubborn)
I had cut all of my post surgery meds. out. And was back to my pre surgery, chronic pain meds. but after that, I had to do some break through meds.
I do however have great mobility. I can actually put my Merrill hiking boots on and tie them. I would recommend this type of new surgery to anyone. But it dose help not to act DUMBER THAN DIRT!
Besides the sites that I've already mentioned. Another good site is www.nuvasive.com For information.
Good luck, Jim X(
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Dumber than dirt?Geez!!!!!!!Now that you have sufficiently beat yourself up,take a breath and be good to yourself!I forgot my brace on Sunday,and drove all over the place,and I just knew I would ruin everything.Everytime I squat to pick something up,I hope I don't fall.----It feels so good for you to walk,I know it is hard to take it easy---did you leave your red pumps at home?They probably would have hurt,and reminded you to cut it short.I am so proud of all you do!Jeannie
  • I thought you learned your lesson and promised to behave this time!! LOL! Why do we makes those promises then break them when we know quite well what the results will be? Are we crazy? Why or why do we do this stuff?

Back to you, Jim!You have been doing a great job and we are all proud of you! But we are watching you!It sounds like this is your best surgery yet with an easy recovery so far. Please keep taking short walks on flat ground( NO INCLINES!!), frequently, so we can keep hearing about good results!

I hope you are feeling much better by tomorrow! Take it easy tonight. Take care of yourself!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I keep thinking that because this was minimally invasive. And a new high tech. surgery. That I should be able to do more. and do it quicker with less pain. And it's almost like, if I don't, then I'm not living up to my potential.
    Gwennie just re-posted a post that could be written especially for me! And I think I need to make a copy of it. And read it at the start of each day! For someone as stubborn as me, maybe I should read it many times a day.
    Either that, or wear those ruby red pumps. so I can't go to far. Right Jeannie? :D
    Thanks, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • So many of us are thick headed or stubborn.
    I am being so smart this time BUT it's taken my husband yelling at me. He gave up yesterday. I am thankful b/c it was overkill. He was doing it out of love b/c I just can't sit/lie still when I see dirty dishes or things out of place. I don't mean it, it's just reflex.

Yesterday he said...you are smart, you are doing better, I'm getting no where with you...he's trying his new tactic for 2 days. But I may ask him this weekend to start bugging me again.

I walked too much Sunday/Monday....and ended up needing peraset again (just 1 but was off them for a few days). I have found the red pumps slow me down (LOL).

I agree that 20 mins max more frequently works better than the 50 min walks. I was doign 30 min walks and that's when I started being more sore.

DOn't beat yourself up...just learn. Hope this week is better for you!