Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To soon for mri ?

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
is The medical system is broken or am I jest in a hurry
Saw gp-doc today he did not get report from pt doc yet
I told him about nerve flossing and the little bump on my back
That seems to be hooked to my foot (he did not look at the bump)
Thinking about it no one but the pt doc has looked at my back since
3 or 4 weeks after serg when I had some weird swelling .
told him the rock in my back had moved lower an the tingly ants
in my foot are less but it now is burning and my hip leg behind knee
have a deep ache all the time unless I sit or walk or drive to long thin the
stun gun guy goes mad he say its really to soon after serg to do mri
and I prob will always have back an leg pain I should think about
adjusting to it changing jobs , not lifting over 15 or 20 lb or sitting
standing or driving to long 20 –30 min an I prob wood not get ssdi
witch I wood need to retire early from my job of 23 years he say
I wood need to see a ortho-doc to see new ortho I need a new mri
The ortho that did serg say its all normal nerves are waking up
Have went to him 3 or 4 times the longest appointment lasted maybe
3 min when he chk my foot reflex (he did srg and knows every thing is fine)
he did not want to talk about the stun gun guy. Jest don’t over do it
and the next breath maybe push through it .
sorry this is so long jest needed to vent I am almost certain I have reherniated
almost the same feelings in back and leg are coming back I guess I will
have to wait till my leg goes numb and can barely walk again I think I
Will go for a long 4 or 5 hr drive tomorrow

• Sorry that you're still having so much pain. How long is it since your surgery?

In 08 I had an unsuccessful laminectomy/discectomy and can understand your need to vent.

The nerves can take quite a while to settle down. Are you on Lyrica or Neurontin, or any other pain meds? It usually takes 6 months to heal from a discectomy.

I had to be careful with lifting, standing, sitting after that surgery, and still have to be since the fusion. Possibly a 4-5 hour drive tomorrow could be too much - driving for long periods was a problem for me.

Hope your doctor can help you more.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Its been 8 months since surgery
    Before surg was on neurontin ib. an vicodin the day after surg I took no meds for 9 or 10 days the neur-rottin was killing me took ib an vicodin when needed the first couple months now jist when I have bad back spazin or stun guy wont quit
    Driving I can do 20 or 30 min then the stun gun guy in my back gets mad an back starts spazin –I drive heavy equipment for work –or should I say I did
    Before surg had bad back pain feel like brick in low back down leg into foot till leg & foot went numb so after surg way better I can walk again heal and back of caff still numb prob never come back witch is ok it wont hurt that way I am jist pis-######### its taking so long recover or finding new prob thanks for listing
  • Hi there,

Sounds like you have seen improvement which is positive but I completely understand your frustration on slow recovery.

I had an unsuccesssful microdiscectomy in August '09 and am 3 weeks out of a revision. I guess 2nd go around it helped me realize recovery was going to be slow. But frustrating none-the-less.

I would say if you are having MORE symptoms or regressing, call your doctor and express concern. If you are just finding recovery to be slowing down, give it a little more time.

You are far enough out (typically 3 months is soonest they'll re-MRI to see if you reherniated) for another MRI. They would do one with contrast so they can see if scar tissue is the issue.

Just curious - have they tried an oral steroid like a Medrol pack or Prednisone to see if the area is inflamed?

I would say sitting for more than 30 mins is probably the issue. I was told that for at least a year after, I would find that driving for more than 30 mins, I should get out and walk around the car a few times.

Nerve pain can be a beast...I am not on lyrica or Neurontin (?sp) yet but I was told that as the nerve starts waking up, I may want to consider it.

I hope things get better. It is a matter of patience and it sounds as if your job is quite demanding, physically. But if you are genuinely concerned, call the doctor and ask about an anti-inflammtory to see if it helps expedite your situation or an oral steroid. If you feel you are going backward in recovery, tell them you are worried and ask for the MRI.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.