Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone had success with accupuncture

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have decided to give accupuncture another try. I know that while I am there, and for at least a short time after it is helping. I have gone 3 times so far. He touched my shoulder, and the pain was horrible, he put the needle in, and touched my shoulder the same way, and the pain was almost gone, I was also able to turn my neck further with the needle in. He said that he is only going to work on my rt shoulder, and that if I am not better in 2 months by 25-50% then I should stop. I am seeing him 2 times a week. He said, which I have heard, that it is an accumulative affect. Some friends have gone to him and swear that he has helped, one person I know was told he needed a knee replacement, another was told his shoulder was bone on bone, both have been helped by him. I am hoping he helps me. But am wondering if anyone here has had success with accupuncture?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Take a look at
    Alternative Treatments
    you will find a number of threads discussing acupuncture

I have had numerous sessions of acupuncture for Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar and Shoulder problems.

While in the treatment, I felt great and generally for up to 48 hours I did have pain relief. But that relief never lasted more than a couple of days for me.

If I had treatments spread apart, the relief time was even shorter. But if I had treatments 6 to 7 weeks in a row, the relief would last longer.

Not all insurance companies reimburse for acupuncture treatments. So for me, it was deciding
    which alternative treatment (Acupuncture or Deep Tissue Massage Therapy ) was giving me better overall success. Both treatments were not covered, so I opted for the DTM
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I find acupuncture to be awesome if it can be done on a regular basis and if the treatment is more than just for the specific pain center or injury. For example, I had issues with headaches, neck, shoulder, scapula, arm and hand pain. The doc would not only treat the spasms, but would combine it or alternate with Chinese Scalp Acupuncture as well as doing treatments for overall body health and auricular treatments for pain. With this combination, it worked out great and had some cumulative effect. However, once I could no longer get in for weekly treatments, it began to lose effectiveness.

It is really important to research the individual performing the acupuncture. There are many who "put needles in" but are either shooting blind or trying to follow a diagram. It takes someone trained/certified and who really understands the body with a genuine desire to help. Also there are places that reuse needles instead of using new ones each time. You can query the office where you plan to go and get information on the acupuncturist, their qualifications and techniques.

• as C stated.

I underwent accupuncture. I have to be honest and say that I was not totally convinced this procedure would be beneficial.

HOWEVER, and much to my surprise, it WAS! The day after my first treatment, I felt like I'd been beaten to a pulp. The doc made a few adjustments on the next visit and OH MY GOSH! After that, I was alway so relaxed after leaving the doctor's office; and would be PAIN FREE for at least 5 hours. Un-be-lieve-able!

Unfortunately, my doc underwent an ACDF; we had a bunch of stuff going on at work; I had a bunch of stuff going on at home... so I only had 6 treatments, I think. I have not had a chance to go back yet.

I hope you have as great an experience as I did. Better yet - I hope yours is BETTER!

• Thanks so much for responding to my question on acupuncture. My insurance isn't paying for it, and temporarily I have stopped PT, I figured one thing at a time is better for me. Since I kept going into spasms, all the PT did was massage, which helped while I was there, but almost as soon as I got up the benifits were gone. I was scared of deep tissue massage at this time, since just touching me almost anywhere hurts. This acupuncturist came highly recomended by some people I know who say he has helped them, they are still going to him 2 times a week, and have been since before the summer. I know that my shoulder did hurt less today, then it has in a while, and he also is trying to release the spasms in my rib cage, and scapula. I am hoping he helps, but go into all skeptical. I am starting to feel that I will always be in horrible pain. The other day when I brought my Dad back where he lives (in assisted living), I thought he was falling and went to push him, well, I hurt so bad I guess I screamed out a bit, 2 people that work there came running, thinking that something happened to a resident. not in the normal way caused me so much pain.

Thanks again,
  • I have done some accupuncture two separate times for different problems. Once after my cervical surgery for nerve pain.I still had a bit of pain after starting therapy and wanted to get off my pain meds. and see if it would relieve the pain. It worked wonders,after two months of accupuncture i was off all pain meds and the nerve pain was gone. After my car accident i had bad pain throughout my back and very tight muscles. I again tried the accupuncture hoping that it would relieve my pain.Unfortunately that time it didn't help. I did the full two months worth and after my benefits ran out i decided i wasn't getting the relief and stopped going. I still wouldn't discount it though because of how much it helped me the first time round. I will still continue to try and use it when i have problems just because it didn't work once doesn't mean it will never help.Good luck with it!!