Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Sleep Problems
Hi Fellow spiney/neckies. I notice alot of you out there take Flexeril. My Dr. prescribed it to help me with my sleep problems. The first time I took it all was fine.

Last night I took one before crashing and I was up constantly with dry mouth. Not a very restful night. I know that can be one of the side effects. Just wondering if anyone had this problem too, and if it was all the time.

I may give it one or 2 more tries, if its the same as last night I'll ask for something different.

Thanks for any responses,

• I take flexeril 3x a day. I have to sip water or juice constantly. Sometimes it doesn't make me sleepy. I hope it works for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have been taking Flexeril for several months now and the dry mouth is always a side effect for me, too.

It really helps my muscle spasms, so I keep my water mug at arms reach.

When I first started taking Flexeril, it did make me very sleepy. I am still on the low dose of 5mg tablets and it no longer makes me sleepy during the day.

Prior to taking Flexeril, I was taking Skelaxin. I didn't notice any dry mouth with the Skelaxin.

I wish you the best in finding a good muscle relaxer with minimal side effects.

Take good care,

• I've been taking flexeril forever (or two years, which ever comes first) and it really does cause dry mouth symptoms. I've found this to come and go as you continue the use, but that symptom has never woken me up at night, oddly enough.

I would suggest that you take it about an hour or 45 minutes before bedtime - whatever amount of time it takes to make you really sleepy - and then right before you lay down to sleep, drink a bunch of water. I would take (and count) 10 solid gulps of water right before I layed down to sleep and that seemed to work for me.

Also, until your body gets used to it, keep the water on your nightstand so if and when you wake up, take a drink then go back to sleep.

I don't know if this will work for you, but this is what I've done and it's worked for me. Meds are so difficult because each one works different with each one of us and it can be such a trial and error process.

Take care, and I hope this works for you. If not, I'm hoping you find the right thing.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It has been prescribed to me by 2 different surgeons. It just dosen't do anything for me. Diazepam works best for me. But I don't take it very often. Seems like the surgeons sure do believe in the flexeril though.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Biotene is a toothpaste, a mouthwash and a gel that is meant to help dry mouth. It is not a perfect fix but it helps. You can find it at most any store that sells toothpaste, doesn't require a script or anything.

The gel is a little weird, but helps if used at bedtime.
  • I'm going to give it another chance, but if the dry mouth keeps me up at night I think I'll request Diazepam or Skelaxin.

Have a good day everyone, Lisa
  • HI Lisa, I am coming into this thread a tad late.

My meds. at times make me feel like I have glue in my mouth. I seriously have issues talking it is so bad. I am a dedicated BYOB! lol I bring my own bottle everywhere - of water lol ;)

I have it in my purse everywhere I go, in stores and everywhere. I never know when the dryness will hit me.

I like others here have never had it wake me up though.

Wish you the best :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Sure go ahead and ignore me ! :D

Just kidding, really, try the Biotene, it does make a difference. I take 3 10 mg flexerils a day, plus valium, plus Ambien, Plus Desipramine, every day, all of them can contribute to dry mouth. I drink a lot of water too, sometimes the dryness is just too much.

I have to have a gum/soft tissue graft done, not looking forward to it. They wanted me to have it done last July, I told them no way, I just had surgery, your not doing that to me now. Well, if I put it off any longer I could get into trouble so it is being done next month. :(

Mention it next time you go to the Dentist, that is where I learned of it, the hygienist even gave me a trial pack, so no cost involved to try it.
  • Imhave to take my daughter to the dentist soon, I'll ask them while I'm there about the Biotene.

Take care,

• I take Flexeril and it makes me really sleepy. It thought I would get over the side effects but taking this I sleep day and night! I wonder if it's interacting with Cymbalta or Wellbutrin? I have to run this med by my Dr. when I see her. Does anyone ever get used to the side effects of this medication like the sleepiness?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I get used to it in no time, but if my husband takes it, he is face down on the table every time.

• @Charry - it is the one med, that I cannot use, as the side effects are very bad for myself. All I can say, is that I am really stuborn about these things. Either it adds to my toolbox, or I have to let my Dr know that I cannot use it and add it to the list of meds, that I refuse to take.
  • hi! i take so many medications i could not tell you which one causes the dry mouth.. LOL!! i find the flexeril works well for relief of muscle spasms thoughout my upper back.. i keep water next to my bedstand at night and find that very effective as well for helping with the problem.. good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • I have been on 10mg.Flexeril for awhile. Says to take 3 times a day ,I find 2 a day sufficient~ one in the am, then as Cathy said one 45 minutes B4 bed.I make sure I am actually in bed for the night,glass of water nearby and it works wonders for my muscle spasms that are constant in my right thigh,groin after my PLIF surgery. Yes Charry,it makes me sleepy as well but next morning not in any type of fog. My husband instantly falls asleep when he takes one,unbelievable! Guess my body is so used to them,I do not feel immediately sleepy at all. I get relief for the spasms,which is a godsend.I also drink a large glass of soy milk every night,the calcium is good for fusing,and it has a relaxing effect. Hope you find the right one for you,sometimes it is trial & error
    Julie D.
  • I am new to this site and late getting to this post, but my pain guy has me on Amrix (time released flexeril) which has none of the side effects regular flexeril used to give me.
  • Cyclobenzaprine extended release (Amrix) seems to cause less daytime sedation:

But yes, a lot of people can't tolerate this drug due to extreme sleepiness it gives.
  • Kind of weird how flexiril will knock some of us out and dont do anything for someone else. I started taking it and left the house I could not keep my eyes open while i was driving. I wanted to just pull over and take a nap lol. I was like oops maybe i should not of taken that 1 . Zeneflex dont have that side affect so i just stick with that. Problem is it dont work that well either.

Valium works best for me during real bad flare up and as long as i stick with the 5 mg at a time i have no problem driving while taking it.

The time releise flexiril is probably best idea for it will work with the pain medication and releises not all at once but slowly and should work as the day goes on.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I take Amrix as one of the rotational MS relaxants my PM doc has me on. It is nice only needing to take one a day and not having the typical Flexeril side effects. It isn't as potent as other MS relaxants, however it does provide help.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I have been on Felxirail for over 5 years .... was on Bacophne for a short perior of time but it did nada .....

I take my flexiril 3 10mg pills as part of my nightime regimen .... I use pain meds during the day
    and then at about 7:00 I take my 30mg of flexiril and 20mg of valium .... between the two I usually sleep very sell .... wake up with no fog or ill effects .... If muscle spams get really bad during the day ... I'll take one 10 mg valium and that usually does the trick.

I rarely have dry mouth issues because I am constantly taking in fluids .... and letting them out through - through out the day. Sometimes the use of these meds comes down to timimg. (at least thats what I have found for myself and manageing all this different stuff).

Good luck to you in gettting this sorrted out,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Forever or 2 years or which ever comes 1 st? Lol. I hope for your sake forever is more then 2 years unless your life expectency is only 2 years. Ok maybe its not funny maybe its just my twisted mind reading it that way. Lol
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,