Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Spineys. I need help concerning a urine test

Just a little background, I have been seeing the same doc for my cervical pain for years. I love him and would never want to go yo anyone else. we have a good relationship and I trust him very much. I have been on various pain narcotics (Lortab, Percocet) but eventually needed to move up to Oxy ER ending up taking 20mgs in the am and 20 migs in the pm. I had Lortab for BT pain. I was on this combination for several years with no incident. The only concerning event was when I had begun taking Lyrica and wnt up to the next level of mgs. I had a very bad reaction. Became very sleepy and incoherant. I went to the er via ambulance and several toxicology tests were done. They found nothing in my system that was not prescribed (illegal or script) and all the drug levels for my meds including the narcotics were at appropriate levels for my prescription. The only logic reason for the episode was either the Lyrica or a seizure. Had an Brain MRI and brain scan and they found no seizure activity. My doc read the report from the er and concluded it was due to the lyrica and exhaustion (I have 5 small children. Fast forward to last Dec. I was at my usual appointment with no rel increase in pain, but doing well on the dose of OXY and Lortab. He asked me if I would take a urine test and I of course had no problem with it. Why would I? I take my meds fairly ontime and I don't take any addional meds from any other doc ect that he was not aware of. So I take the test, he writes my scripts and I'm on my way. two weeks later I get a call from him saying that neither the oxy or lortab came back in my urine test. The lortab absence didn't surprise me, as I gegenerally do not take this every day. But the oxy should have showed up. Making matters worse, he said he couldn't prescribe them anymore because they didn't show up on the screen.To be honest, I did freak a little. I am an honest person and take my meds accordingly. There is a possibility that I had forgotten to take my Oxy dose that morning and my appointment was the first one in the am. I am seeing a psychiatrist for unrelated issues and he has prescribed Ativan, paxil, and ambien (for occasional use.) My doc also claims that Restoril came back in my urine. I had never taken this drug other than during a trial smple given to me by my psychiatrist MANY years ago. At least 4 years ago. I went in a month later to discuss it with him and I requested a second urinealysis. By this time I ws completely off the oxy by weining. So it will not show up this time either. What should I do? I was completely honest with him bout everything and I don't feel I've done anything wrong other than maybe forgetting to take my dose prior o my appointment. I did call the toxycologist from the company used and he said that there is a possibility that if I had forotten the morning dose and I was otherwise appropriately hydrated, the oxy leels could have fallen below the testing criteria and otherwise were not detected. What shoud I do? He has been my doc for years and I don't wnt to leave and find a new doc. That could cause me more problems. I am just so frustrated, because I know that I haven't done anything wrong. I have been without the meds for two months now and I am going out of my mind in pain. Any advice?

• I don't know how a urinalysis would help now if you've been off meds for 2 months. I hope you can get help with your pain at this time. It would help to let him know you also take Ativan & the other meds given by the Psychiatrist so it won't be a problem in the future with your tests. I hope it works out for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • If you took your night dose the evening before at say, 9pm and then the next day had your urinalysis at around noon, even if you had forgotten your morning 20mg oxy your levels would have been well, well, above the low minimum levels that they set.

You'd have had to have not taken it for at least a few days, say 3 MINIMUM, before your levels would drop that low. It takes 3 to 7 days for time release oxycodone to build up in your system to it's highest levels and effectiveness, and as such, it doesn't just disappear in 2 hours. Your night-time dose the night before would have still been at a high blood concentration at 9am that morning(just finishing it's 12hr time release), and 3 or 4 hours later your urine sample levels would have been low for you, but probably closer to the levels of someone who took 10mg tablets instead because of your missed morning dose. Your doctor would not have had any issue with this.

It's hard to fight science.. Good luck finding a new doctor and managing your pain; i'd say it's a safe bet you're not getting back in to see this one again.

best wishes

• Have you had a chance to speak directly with your Dr. about this?

I like you have been with mine for over 10 yrs now and to change to a new one would give me nightmares!

If this would ever happen to me, I know my Dr. would give me a app. to sit down and talk to him about it and we would go from there. I can't say I am assured he would keep me as a patient, but at least I know I had tried.

See the problem for these Drs are too many people are getting the meds. and selling them on the streets. So then when a test comes back such as yours, the Dr can get in trouble if they keep giving you that med.

I am surprised with your history with this Dr. that he did not give you a second test IMMEDIATELY.
    There is always a chance someone, somewhere messed up your tests! :(

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks for your response. I did make an appointment after the results came back. And I took my husband with me. I know I would need his support and he knows that I have alway taken my medication exactly as prescribed. When I went in, the first thing I did was ask for another urine test. I had slowly been weening myself off of the oxy with the pills I had left from my last refill. Before that appointment I called the company that processes the tests and spoke with a toxicologist. He said that if I had forgotten my oxy dose that morning, and given the time I generally take my evening dose, it is possible that the levels of concentration could have been too low to detect. I am nearly positive this is what happend. I haven't gotten the results of the second test. I called and they said that the doc wanted to discuss it with me in person. So that appointment is on the 17th. So, I have no clue what will come of it. I also think something screwy happened with my test. There are just too many things out of place. I have been constantly worried about it, and am at a loss of what to say anymore. I just keep wanting to say " I haven't done anything wrong. I may have missed a dose, but doesn't that happen to just about everybody sometimes?" No one is perfect,I have five little kids to take care of. I have never called and needed a refill early, lost a script or lost my meds asking for more. I've seen on this medication for years with no signs of misuse or additional scripts from other docs or Ers. I guess I will just have to wait it out until the 17th. And pray my honesty will win out in the end.
    You are so sweet to respond. And I appreciate it so much;)
  • When you & Hubby went to Dr. together what did the Dr say to you?

Did you get any more pain meds, is he believing you but still waiting this next test results?

Gosh the pain filled world we live in is a scary place in many ways - ya know :(

Please do keep us updated how this goes.

I told my hubby & daughter ( daughter also has a spine injury and many MAJOR issues getting pain meds. she has 8 children - her youngest is 3 weeks old ! ) about you and they too feel terrible that this is happening to you >:D<
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have "failed" urine tests twice, both times I had taken about 5 oxy that day before the test. After the 2nd negative the doctor immediately gave me a blood test which came up positive.

The only thing he could come up with was that my body was completely burning up the oxy before it got to the urine.

I could not believe that he even he thought for a second there was a possibility I was not taking my meds. Funny thing was he let me set up the date for the first urine test after giving me a month prescription!
  • My thoughts...I would track in a log when you are taking them and how much. This way you can be certain no one is 'stealing' any from you. I know it sounds crazy but stranger things have happened so perhaps his concern is you are going through them 'too fast'. I hate to be a pessamist but if you have anyone over who knows you have them in the house, it's very easy for them to take a couple here and there. Of course god knows why they'd want them...I just don't get the 'high' someone would get. I personally don't want to take them and only do when I'm in really bad physical pain.

Then, ask for a urine and blood test.
    It's possible depending on how much water you are drinking and how much walking you are doing (or activity with kids) that your body is processing them.

Just curious -> is there anything that counteracts Percaset?