Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to work tomorrow after MicroD

lmacllmac Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been reading this forum since my surgery and it has been an invaluable resource.
I have had back pain , never really diagnosed for about 20 years..im 35..i always attributed it to my work..i was a full time horseperson(lots of falls and heavy lifting)..and then got into horseshoeing(always bent over) and am now an ICU nurse(lifting,pulling and pushing)..
I have always had sciatica off and on over the years so i knew i had some disc issues but never really pursued it..i also worked in the e.r and know how poorly treated/managed back pain patients can be..it was going to be my new years resolution this year to get myself feeling better as the pain was getting worse and getting through a 12 hr shift was miserable.
well, on new years eve...i had a huge rupture at L3-L4..i knew something was different this time as within 24 hrs raging sciatica turned into numbness with foot drop..by the time i got an mri,which besides the rupture showed a whole bunch of other stuff, and saw the neurosurgeon i had completely lost the reflex below the knee in the left leg..neuro said because rupture was so large my only option was surgery..had the microD jan.11, stayed overnight in hosp and had my mom stay with me for 2 weeks...recovery went well...did tons of walking and am doing 8-10 miles/day weather permitting.The nerve that was compressed actually had a tear in it. my left leg is still not perfect but the walking helps so much. my shin is still completely numb...nerves are interesting creatures..so anyway, its back to work tomorrow..im a little anxious but i know my co workers will take good care of me...i just wanted to thank this forum as it has been so helpful..

• Great to hear your success story. I hope you take care at work and hope it's not too early to get back at it. Take care and wishing you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • IMac...I am sorry I didn't get to chat much with you and I hope this thread is your farewell! It sounds like you finally got some relief.

Just take it easy returning to work. Glad you were wise and took the right amount of time off.

Let your co-workers watch out for you. I've found people 'parenting me' are looking out for my best interest.

Good luck at work...and in your continued recovery. This is a big milestone!
  • oops..I hope you understand what I meant by I hope this is your farewell. I hope that all continues to be successful and you never have the need to come back on here other than to keep telling us of your sucess!
  • thanks for the encouragement..im hopeful that the micro D will remain a success..however the rest of my MRI was pretty ugly..but I feel ready to go back..and the hospital/services bills not covered by insurance have been weighing on me mentally. Im going to be vigilant about my walking on my days off..i have a beagle mix that is always up for a walk so she is a big help..my neurosurgeon was out of town so it was actually someone else in the practice that gave me the green light..i have an appt with my dr next week so i want to go over the mri with him to see what my back future holds...i still have lower back pain,but there are 3 other herniated disks, stenosis and DDD...ive also read that L3 L4 is one of the less ruptured disks...I have learned a lot about myself the last few months and now i just want to know how to best take care of myself...i abused my back for so many years...ill be on here keeping up with everyone's recoveries!