Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

41 year old male.Thoracic x-ray said scoliosis is present??

joseyandrewbenjjoseyandrewben Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Scoliosis
Hello. Anybody know much about thoracic scoliosis? I have felt like my body was crooked or my left rib stuck out farther than my right for about 10 years now. Doctors never thought much of it though. They would put my mid spine back in place (there were usually several vertabrae out) or send me to a chiropractor. About a month ago I felt like I had a really bad pulled muscle in my mid back. It took about 3 weeks to go away. I couldn't bend forward,down, and to the left without bad pain. I did nothing to bring this on it just came out of no where. X-rays said spurring at several areas with DJD and DDD. Anyone else have this at this age because this just dont seem normal at 41. Maybe mid 50's, but I still feel young. Thanks. :S


  • Hello Joseyandrewben!

    How do you know you have scoliosis? I am wondering whether you have been diagnosed with scoli or you are self-diagnosing (we all do it!)

    You see, I am wondering how you can be "put back in" if it's scoliosis.

    If it is indeed scoliosis, you need to know your cob angle and only a scoliosis specialist can do that. A SS can also give you an idea of whether you need any treatment and what kind. If your cob angle is over 40 degrees and you are in pain, you might be a candidate for surgery. Some SS say over 50 degrees plus pain. It's not done for cosmetic reasons.

    Some curves don't progress, most do. In most cases this is accompanied by pain, but not always. Once you've determined whether this is scoliosis, you can work from there. Good luck!
  • Hello. I had a thoracic x-ray done about a month ago. It read spurring at several levels,DJD,DDD, and then it said scoliosis is present. It dosen't say to what degree. I already have cervical DDD,and stenosis. I think most all of this is mild to moderate. But to me mild to moderate can be a big difference. Scoliosis is a new thing to me, so I am kind of new with it. My family doctor is from pakistan so it is kind of hard to understand what she says. But so far she has done a good job! She said I am not really a candidate for surgery at this point which sounds fine with me. She reffered me to pain management. Numbness has gotten worse in alot of my body within the last 4 months. It is kind of like my back or the parts to my back are rotting away. Any more info on scoli please tell me. Thanks for taking time to write. :)
  • There are several different kinds of scoliosis. Some people have a mild form which they have all their lives and it never progresses, and usually it doesn't cause pain. There is also congenital, juvenile, idiopathic. Try googling these to learn a little more about them. It would be helpful to know which type you have. Your pain may not be coming from your scoliosis. You have other problems which could be more pressing in terms of requiring treatment than your scoli.

    If your GP wants to further investigate your scoliosis, ensure she sends you to a scoliosis specialist, not just an orthopedic surgeon. You don't want a knee surgeon or shoulder surgeon diagnosing your scoliosis. Also, some scoliosis surgeons specialise more in adult scoliosis whereas others specialise in teens/kids.

    I hope it turns out that your scoli doesn't need attention, so that you can concentrate on the other degenerative problems in your back. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.