Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Painless DDD, Lyrica for management of nerve pain. LONG POST

candrews922ccandrews922 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Medications
Good morning all. I have DDD in my neck and low back. I have had back pain, and subluxation requiring chiropractic care since I was 14. So my spine has been deteriorating at that location since that age at L4-L5. I have always had adjustments at my cervical and thorasic areas all that time also, but never the dibilitating pain that occurred in my low back. Anyway, my point is that anyone that says DDD is a normal part of the aging process, and also considers it a process that everyone shares is a fruit. I want one person to tell me they have DDD and any of its common associated conditions and that it just came out of the blue from getting older. That they had no symptoms, and are not in pain of some form. I am not talking about a corpse that while they are checking it for science and they say DDD is there with no history. That person can't talk. Had to vent, had a pain management doctor insinuate this belief and also HE proceeded to tell me the pain level of giving birth as an 8. I said "and that is based on what?" I wanted to say personnal experience to his arrogant ass, but held back. He recommended "injections" all over of course. Didn't discuss any pain medication, other than to note I was on oxycodone/ APAP at 5/325 1 to 2 tablets/day. Prescribed by my PCP who I know doesn't want to deal with this medication or the xanax I take and have taken for over 10 years on and off. I had Panic disorder and was put on Paxil 10 years ago. I was also told I have IBS many years ago. It seems I have had nervous system disorders of some type since an early age. My system has always been hyped up for some reason. My stomach and system in general has always been sensitive to abuse that deals with lack of sleep, caffeine, and other meds that cause hyping. This could go on even longer, sorry. So my own PCP read in the pain docs notes that fibromyalgia should be considered. I never really investigated fibro but I did catch something on the internet that said there is a high rate of IBS in Fibro patients. Over the summer my brother passed at 48 from brain cancer. At that time started having these bizarre attacks of diarrhea with unreal spasms and cramping that went on for hours. It happened like 4 or 5 times and one incident caused me to go to the ER via ambulance. All testing was negative. My usual bowel activity is constipation, so for me diarrhea is a rare thing unless something is wrong. When I read about the IBS and fibro I was like holy crap. I made an appointment with my PCP the same day. That is when she presented what the PM doc had stated. She put me on Lyrica the same day.
So here is the basis of my post, if you have read this far, sorry. Long story. I started the Lyrica and noticed a difference within the 1st 24 hours. There are many side effects and odd symptoms with taking this med. I have not really had any of them, other than off balance. Which I have at times anyway. Some tiredness after being on it for a number of weeks. I think I need to up my dose to 450mg a day rather than 300mg. I see a rhuemo today which I hope deals with this medication and will adjust it. Since starting this medicine aching, sometime burning, and spasm type pain I was having in my upper back, hips, and groin to my knees has abated. If I over do physically I am still feeling it, and areas affected by direct nerve/ pain stimulus is there. It seems pain that had no exact cause has been improved greatly. The mechanism involves the nerve/ stimulation barrier. Lyrica does something with calcium and it causes some kind of interference with the impulses caused by over stimulated sensory nerves. These effect the muscles causing a number of unpleasant symptoms. It is worth a shot if you have a lot of muscle pain, I was told that I had mysofascial pain syndrome, which mimics fibro. I felt it is hard to distinguish between the two, especially after this. I would like to know if lyrica works for those who have been diagnosed with MFS. Worth a look, must read full pharmacology report on Lyrica, before considering. You don't want to miss anything, as wonderful as this medication seems there have been people that said the side effects were too much. Take care. I will post after seeing rheumo about anything new. Chris A. =D>

• Good for you the Lyrica is working. I took it also to the maximum dose but then was introduced to Cymbalta which really helps my leg pain and numbness. But my Dr. wants me to start back on Lyrica 150mg also for the sharp pains so I just took one...I did have a weight gain last time so important if you can to exercise with walking etc. Someone had mentioned to me I may have myofascial pain or "back mouse" but it's limited to my lower back to where my DDD is. I'm sorry you lost your Mom so young at my age.
    It's sounds like your Drs are listening to you and hope your Rheumatologist appointment goes well. Take care Chris. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Chris

My situation is a little similar. Had a bad fall (20 feet) seven months ago that basically pulled all the nerve roots from C2-C7. So in a nutshell, my left arm is completly paralyzed. Just had nerve re-transfer surgery two months ago to try and re-attach my elbow and bicep. Shoulder was a no go since the nerve had avulsed from both ends. That means shoulder reconstruction in another year. They cut me up pretty good, so much that the kids say I look like Frankenstein a little :) .

So they started me off on gaba which did nothing, My neuropathy is agonizing. Strictly from the elbow down to my fingertips but sometimes all the way to my shoulder. After surgery the elbow itself has now become a burning electrical saw.

I started slowly but eventually brought my dosage on Lyrica up to 1800mg a day and sometimes 2400mg. I know its high but the 600mg daily dose leaves me curled up into a ball on the couch popping hydromorphone (4mg x2) 8-10 times a day. With the Lyrica that high I'm down to about 1x4mg 4 times a day.

I can work and do everything normally as before (without the left arm of course)

Some weight gain but that was it for me in terms of side effects

This discussion has been closed.