Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Weather here is Killing me!

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
The winter weather didn't seem to bother me. Up until now! As I get further into my recovery, I have less surgery pain, and more of the chronic pain that I've had to deal with for years. The injuries and past surgeries have left nerve damage and more importantly right now, arthritis.
The weather has gone from rain to snow to beautiful "false spring" days. Then back to rain or snow. It snowed yesterday about 8 inches. And today was a sunny break for a while. And now later in the day, It's trying to snow again. I don't know what it is with the trying, that kills me. Maybe the falling barometric pressure, or what. But please, QUIT TRYING and JUST DO IT! So this will stop!
Jim :W :(
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• I think it is changes in barometric pressure. I notice it most when the weather is damp.
  • I hate the weather changes and the rainy season too! The barometric pressure does make a big difference, especially when you have this arthritis and nerve pain. I hope things get better here on the western front soon for all of us!
    It has been unseasonably cold this year. Have a good weekend! Marion
  • Jim,I have been really achy for several weeks too-here we can have a 30 degree day,and the next day be 70----and wind is a $%^&*(.I have arthritis too,so that doesn't help.My back and stomach are still sore,but I swear the hydrocodone helps my hands and shoulders more!I am with you---I hate this weather too-I want 80 degree days-hang in there buddy!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    right now I'd settle for the 70. Or just do something for crying out loud!
    Jim :''(
    P.S. am I whinnin' or what!
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Location, location, location... ;-)
    You must be in San Diego?
  • Nope, that is one of the last states I would ever pick to live in.

We grew up up in ME. After umpteen years of it and complaining about winter. We tried a novel concept. We moved somewhere warmer, NC. In reality this is a compromise between too hot and too cold. We've lived in FL when I was in the service. I've also been in about 20 states. This one struck the balance of our needs. Now if you have allergies, holy crap!!! It's rough. But seldom snows. Winter is usually about cold weather. Dec-Feb are cold. The rest of the year I do all my hobbies. So that gives me 9 months. When we lived in ME. Winter is 6 months, Summer is 2 weeks.... lol...
    I'd like Cabo San Lucas, right now! I've been there twice in the winter. You turn on the american news, laugh, and go back out to the pool!.........Yeah!
  • Jim

He-ll I'm in Atlanta right now and 3 days ago it snowed. It has snowed here 4 times this year. ususally once in a blue moon. The temps should be around early to mid 60s, now has been in the early 40s, supposed to get in the 60s this weekend. I'm praying for Spring, because its painful healing. It was funny we got 3 inches of snow on the opening ceremonies of the Oylmpics and it was raining there. Whoever said Global warming needs to get their facts straight. :? :B :S ;)
  • I'm sorry to hear the weather is so bad there. We got all the snow last year where I live in Toronto it's been a nice winter but still the dampness and windchill is awful. I can just imagine what you're going through just recovering from your surgery. The warm weather will be here soon.
    If I ever get the chance to work again I'm going back to Florida where I worked before. I love it there. Take it one day at a time. Wishing you warmer days ahead! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am in SC and we have had snow 4 times so far this year.

Nowhere is safe!

The cold is also taking it's toll on my arthritis. My only suggestion would be
    1. Stay inside
    2. Use a humidifier (this really helps me especially when I sleep).

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • you're feeling better Jim! We've had the same where I am too, I actually live about 3 hours away from Charry apparently!! lol. It is so humid and damp here, I hate it. I lived in the Yukon for a year, and yes, it was long winter, but no humidity, and my arthritis barely bothered me at all!! I came home (where I'm at now) for christmas that year, and within 2 days was almost crippled with the pain. I plan on moving back in the next couple of years, it was that great!! I can deal with the long, cold, dark winter, as long as my pain levels are down!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
    The storm was pushed just a little south of us. It cleared out last night and this morning the barometer rose and it is a glorious sunny day (but 40 degrees)
    And today my body is not SCREAMING!
    Ahh, It's a good day. and I don't hurt! YEAH!
    Jim :D
  • Jim - Cabo sounds interesting. I had to go look where it was. Knew it was in Mexico somewhere.

JJ and Eric - It is weird. I've been in NC 15 years now. I think where I am we get less snow than Atlanta :-) Ya'll got some weird weather fronts going through there. SC I would never expect it. Where we are is on the fringe of rain/sleet/snow if something is going to happen. We got a good 4"-6" of snow that stuck and lasted a few days. About 2-3 weeks ago. I can really do without that.

You folks that live up in Canada. I feel your pain. Growing up in ME with 'Noreasters'. It was funny when we were kids. Not so much when we got older...

• :D :D :D :D :D

The ole barometric pressure -- summers here in Florida are killer for me -- every time a storm front comes in, I beg for the rain to come down quickly so as to relive the pressure in my sinuses.

It was warming up here in Orlando and then a front came through Tuesday with rain and a fierce wind that ushered in colder weather. Only in the 40's. It's been pretty and sunny since Wednesday and we'll have highs in the 60's for the weekend.

Too bad there isn't a barometric pressure machine that could stabilize the inside of your house to a pressure that wouldn't make your joints and bones go crazy.

Hang in their Jim, better days are a coming round the mountain!

Take care,

• Graham, I live near the foothills. I just moved here a few years ago from the coast. We got that same snow a few weeks back. I hated the heat and humidity on the coast but we actually have our house up for sale and are getting ready to move back to the hurricane zone.

It gets downright cold here. My allergies are tons worse here than they were on the coast. I guess that the mountains trap the air in and it gets stagnant. At least on the ocean the air is constantly moving.
  • I know what ya mean Jim. This winter has been a killer on my pain. Uggggghhhh Snow every day!!
    Snow has melted and sunny the past few days. Will be in the 60's this weekend. Yippeeeee Flowers are poping up.....silly things. We will still have the Easter snow.
    I am with you buddy...the weather can be a killer on pain!! All we can do is love the good days and curse the bad ones.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • accumilation in the history of Iowa. Something like 57 inches. But it is March and today it rained and got rid of a little of it. I have a fenced in yard for my dogs and have had to tie out the cocker spaniel as she can go right over it. Put in the doggy door last year when I had fusion, so they could go in and out. Well that worked out well last year, but it didnt last long this year. Oh well, it will melt soon, and then they can come and go again. Hopefully, it will be melted, if and when I have another fusion,so that it will work well again.
    Cant wait till April. My 50 bday this year, the one I was looking forward to feeling like 50 instead of 90. Was gonna be off all meds and drink wine and celebrate getting my life back. Well, maybe postpone it till 51. Have a great weekend all of you in the WARM ZONES! ARGGG =)) B) >:D<
  • It's my year also! All I can think of is 47 and disabled and I've been shut in since then. I'm going to try to get a walk in tomorrow the weather is supposed to be warmer at about 50F or 9-10 C. It was hard for me to go Centigrade after being raised on Farenheit! Anyways I will try to get a short walk in the next couple of days. I can't wait for the nicer weather though we had a mild winter here. I was given a cat door but since we have steel doors I want to put it in the basement window but still concerned about raccoons getting in. Have a great rest of the weekend. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • And I'm certain the barometric pressure has a LOT to do with variations in pain levels! (seems like I might have even heard that from a friend of mine whose a Chief Meteorologist in Grand Rapids, MI)

In fact (think you already know this, but not sure how many others here do), my increase in pain in winter-which I basically froze from Labor Day to Memorial Day, no joke!-was one of the major factors in my decision to move from Michigan to Florida-& to do it in 2009 rather than wait until at least 2011 as I'd always planned (while the MAIN reason was the fact that I was living in a tent, my parents WERE willing to temporarily pay for a place in Mich as they're doing for me here in FL if that's what I had chosen to do). Considering the pain/weather/driving during winter & the terrible economy in MI the last decade-it really wasn't a tough decision at all-except that 2 of my sons wanted to stay in MI w/their dad-THAT was a real "gut check" for me, but as we've discussed, I know I made the decision that was in their best interests given my inability to care for them properly both physically & financially right now (& the fact that we have a court agreement that anytime the boys want to come live with Mom they can-they just had to complete at least 1 entire school year first before changing, to avoid any back and forth ideas if they were really missing me & their big brother, got in trouble or some such thing). Aside from that heart wrenching decision- I've not regretted the move for even one second!

I've had people tell me that the humidity down here would bother my pain, but I was here most of the summer last year, & have visited here all seasons of the year throughout my life, & I gotta say that the humidity coupled with WARM weather doesn't bother me NEAR as much as the COLD weather/snow. I have also lived in Maine (that's where my oldest son was born) & in Arizona, but most of my life was in various areas of Michigan (lower peninsula).

I do believe that part of the reason the humidity here isn't "as bad" for me as it is for others that live in FL is because of where in FL I live. We're actually on a peninsula WITHIN the peninsula (I know there's a technical term for that but for the life of me I can't remember what that is :-\ ). Point being that living in Pinellas County (on the West coast-western 'burb of St. Petersburg, less than 2 miles from the Gulf-Madeira Beach is the closest beach access) we are between Tampa Bay & the Gulf, so in the winter, we're kept warmer by the surrounding water, & in the summer we're kept cooler & also have the Gulf breeze. Granted it's not always a BIG difference in temperature (usually it's around 10* different than in Tampa), but it DOES make a difference, especially at night. When the rest of the State had frost/freeze warnings this winter, we didn't-except for 2 nights-though we did have many nights in the upper 30*s & 40*s. In the summer, we will "cool off" quicker than they do inland. Even the other western coastal areas north & south of us have been colder than we have (except the FAR south, like Miami...I'm talking Naples/Bradenton/Sarasota areas).

Don't get me wrong-I haven't much enjoyed the unusually cold winter & it seems that the entire country has been affected at some point or another, but when I start thinking how "freezing" I am-I just compare the temps here to those back in Michigan-when we were 40*s & 50*s, in Mid-Michigan where we used to live it was at or below 0*, or in the teens...& of course it helps that we haven't had any to shovel any snow or scrape ice off the car windshield ;-) I was; however, quite shocked that there was so much freezing inland-which really hurt the crops-& then when it snowed up in the panhandle area...I was REALLY surprised. From what everyone tells me, it's been like 20 years since that's happened! (Hopefully it'll be another 20yrs before we get another winter like this again!) Good ole' El Nino....it's sure a powerful thing, eh? We'll see what it brings us as far as summer weather-so far we don't have tornadoes popping up yet like there were last year (remember, was it Kansas or Texas, Oklahoma, etc. had that wild "spring" severe weather starting in Jan last year???)

Ya know-When it was still in the upper 80's & 90's here this past October & the a/c was still on, I had made a comment to my son "at least we won't ever have to turn the furnace on-if it gets a little chilly this winter, we can just turn on the little electric fireplace for awhile, put on sweats or grab an extra blanket, but we certainly won't need to worry about turning on the heat".....by December-after 2 weeks of waking up to it being in the 50's indoors-I finally relented & turned the furnace on. Naturally my smart-aleck teenager HAD to remind me "but Mom, you said you'd NEVER turn the furnace on here!" *rolls eyes* (brat! LOL!) I am shocked at how much we've had to use it, but I will say that we keep it set lower than my parents do-ours is usually at 68* & theirs is at 73*-& I also turn it off if it's only going to get down into the mid-upper 50*s at night (like now) & warm up close to or at our "normal" (which is 70*s) during the day. I've really enjoyed having the windows open again the last few days-I LOVE the fresh air & have had them open every time it hits 55*! I'm hoping to use little or no a/c until at least June, but since my "no heat" thing worked out so well, I'm not counting on anything! LOL

My parents & I used to come down for vaycay every couple years when I was a kid & we'd stay at my grandparents house in Madeira Beach-we always thought it was amusing to see local peoples facial expressions when we'd wear shorts/t-shirts in December when they had sweaters on. ;-) I suppose after living here awhile you do tend to acclimate to the weather, but so far I've been able to lay out in the sun & even swim in the pool a few times over the winter & if the meteorologists are right, this SHOULD be the "turning of the corner", at least down here. Boy I hope so! I need to work on my tan so I don't look like a "tourist" as the spring break crowd comes (I still don't get why the locals don't like the tourists-although it's not really the "locals", it's the "snowbirds" that whine about them, which is kinda funny considering the "locals" prefer the "tourists" b/c they spend $/help the local economy! But that's another "ramble" for another day ;-)

Back to my point, & yes I swear I had one (lol)-for me, nothing feels better with the pain than being in the pool! (even massages aren't as good b/c when the Fibro flares I can't stand to be touched-plus I haven't had the money for a massage in forever, nor a "sweetie" to lovingly give me one for free either) I hope I can keep the furnace off completely now-but at least if I DO have to turn it on, it'll only be at night. That'll be a huge help with the electric bill too! (until a/c weather comes again)

My 'rents moved down here in 2003 to care for my g'rents & they've never turned their furnace on, other than just to test it every fall, until this year & while they said that usually in mid-late January, we DO tend to get "cold snaps" they aren't usually this cold & never last this long. And naturally-I'm the focus of their jokes as they tell everyone "See what happenes? Our daughter moves down here from Mich & she brings this *darn* cold weather with her" LOL Of course, I just remind them of the many times we saw the temps in Mich around -20* & once it was even -40*s for several days plus the massive amounts of snow we would get, especially when we lived "up north" in Grayling (our family had a snow plowing business after dad retired from the police force)...so while it may get "chilly" down here-it's certainly not THAT cold!

One thing nobody will EVER hear from me is that it's "too hot" here (too humid-perhaps, but never too hot)-besides, everywhere you go has a/c so if it's that bad, just stay indoors-that's my take on it anyway. I can ALWAYS cool off if I'm hot so much easier than I can warm up when I'm cold! I always secretly chuckle to myself when I hear other people that live here complaining about the heat...my thought is always "it's FLORIDA, if you don't like heat, you're living in the wrong state, bub! Do Alaskans complain about snow? Sheesh!" ;-)

If money were no object & I could pick any place in the world to have a vacation home-I think it'd be Aruba! It's south of the primary "hurricane zone" (A rare one may occur but not like the rest of the Caribbean/Gulf) & it's 80-85* every day! Slight breeze almost all the time, & the humidity isn't as high usually as it is here or on other Caribbean islands, like Cuba, etc. PLUS, the water is such an amazingly beautiful turquoise blue color, AND I could still stare at my beloved Palm Trees!! Now, how great would that be???

Ahhh....I think I'm going to go lay down & with any luck I'll nap & dream of that "future dream home in Aruba" where it's 83* & beautiful ;-)

Hang in there Jim-being into March we're all on the upswing weather-wise now....won't be long before we all have green grass, birds singing, beautiful flowers in full bloom, & can be outside on a comfy chaise lounge or hammock or whatever the favorite outdoor place to be is (in my case, it's either the pool, or the beach-but only when not crowded. I like tranquility) :) Just think, Memorial Wknd is only like 2.5mos away! Hope that helps, at least a little! As I often say, and I do truly mean, I wish I could take your pain away-I wish I could take EVERYONE'S pain away...no sense in ALL of us hurting, right? So if I could just take all your pain, then it'd just be ONE of us & it would make me happy seeing those I care about happy-able to work or do whatever it is you wanna be able to do again, but to definitely be happy! *hugs* You're a good friend Jim-I'm gonna keep praying that this cold weather we've all been bothered by this winter goes away & that we can all enjoy nice spring weather along with a reprieve from our pain..I'll keep praying for that, & of course you're in those prayers! Everyone is, of course! :-)

(Sorry this goes off track so many times-every time I'd get up to walk around/stretch, etc., of course my mind couldn't remember where I was going with the point I'd stopped at. That's just as frustrating as the physical pain is, ya know? In fact, sometimes I think it's worse-I would much rather lose my physical capabilities than my mental & it's pretty embarrassing when my "train de-rails" as it does. Hope you understand what I've tried to say here-I even edited it but I just can't sit any longer so hopefully it's understandable enough!!) :-)

Anyway, Chin up my friend...& take good care of you...
    Thank you for the concern. And a special thanks for offering to take my pain. Which I wouldn't want anyone to have. (well I do have an ex-wife) lol. But I don't even think I would give it to her.
    Here is to warmer weather.
    Hugs, Jim
  • Cabo sounds swell!!! We thought Vegas would be warm tho, and that was kind of a bust.. My daughters in-laws are in porta veurte (spelling) right now and say its fabulous! I texted her back and told her she was a real "B" for not taking her daughter-in-laws mommy! LOL! I like the North Carolina idea from above. I too am thinking about moving to warmer weather and climate. I love Utah, but the winters are brutal, then this rainy cold windy spring, I just hate it! The hard part would be securing a new gov job, I'd have to find a transfer location and also moving the Blitz! (My horse). I hate transporting him anywhere on a freeway and stick to the mountains, well when I used to could ride him that is. I'm sure we could pull it off tho and I bet he'd enjoy the warm weather as much as I. My dream has ALWAYS been to ride him barback on the beach! I hope that happens before he passes on. He will be 18 this year. My last lived to be 28 and is buried in my pasture, but most around 24ish, so I don't have a lot of time. O.K., I'm babbling now - I'll shut up!
  • Going to tag this on here since it is still on the front page.

Am I the only one that as the weather gets warmer and more humid, my back hurts worse and worse every day? I'm sure it is the pressure changes etc; But, it is turning from a nagging ache to an issue that is becoming difficult to contend with on a constant basis.

I swear, this is too weird. Here we sit on the verge of pretty 50+* weather and my back, dead center between my shoulder blades feels like it is going to go, BOOOM! :O

I havn't slept more than the toss and turn special in quite some time now. Ain't life grand? L)
This discussion has been closed.