Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What Would You Do ?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
When I was first injured my sciatic pain was just unreal. I would have cut my own leg off if I could have. Seriously! I said many many times "I will sit in a wheel chair the rest of my life if it would take away the sciatic pain"! No meds helped.

About 4 yrs into my injury the pain went away. AMEN!!!!! All my Drs did NOT rejoice with me though. They said ( from my new MRI ) that they thought it was from that nerve basically dieing ( my words not theirs ), as a disk had sat on it for so long.

I did not go to PT until about 5 yrs after injury as of insurance issues.

When I finally was able to go they did pressure point therapy. You know where they push a finger, elbow, fist etc. in at specific points.

Within about 2 weeks of PT the sciatic pain was back !!!! Just as bad as before.

I stopped PT and within a few weeks the pain was gone again.

SO here is my questions - what would you do

A. do the happy ( gimpy style lol ) dance and forget PT.

B. go back to PT and "suck it up" knowing the the price I pay for that pain I am being helped in other ways from the PT.

C. go back to PT and MAKE them leave that leg/area alone ?

* I say MAKE them leave it alone, as I had requested it before and they said "no" it was a part of my therapy. My Dr would give me a note if needed for this to be left alone.

The PT people also said by not working on that leg/area as well I compromise the other leg/area hence my dilemma :W

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    1- Why does the pressure point PT hurt more
    2- Why does PT cause you more problems
    3- What does the EMG say about any nerve damage

and finally

What does your doctors say about all of this?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The idea for PT is to get you mobile and functional. How were you in doing simple stretching and walking? Than to try and build up your strength espeically your core.

Also like Ron said, did they do an EMG test before they came up with the conclusion that the nerve is dead. That is a pretty big statement to make without a formal test. This also bring up the question why didnt they do something to prevent that from happening.

• Ron who would I go ask to get these questions answered?

The PT people pretty much shrug me off when I question them. My Dr says to ask the PT people :??

JS - There never was any simple stretching.

I go in do aqua - oh yeah that is where they do the stretching at.... sorry I forgot the purpose of aqua therapy.

I do heat and elec stim, then they move on to torture, ahhhh I mean pressure therapy lol ( feels like torture to me ).

No testing for nerve was done nor even suggested.

Pretty much in summary of my whole back issues is to keep my pain levels down as low as possible and they more or less amuse me when I bring up therapy.

The opinion across the board of every Dr I see, is I am too messed up for much to help :(

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have a question about Plan B. Do you feel PT is helping you in other ways?

Perhaps you could take the good parts of your PT sessions and do them on your own, without having to pay for the services of PT, and avoiding the parts that hurt.

Have you had a number of opinions on your whole back situation? Do you believe their conclusion that they have nothing more to offer you?

How's your daughter doing?
  • I believe the aqua therapy is great. But I do not understand the point of the pressure therapy. My only understanding of why we do PT is to become more functional and mobile. If the pressure therapy is to do that than I would ask the therapist to explain why I need to go through this discomfort. If he has a real explanation that makes sense to me I would give it a try a bit longer. If it does nothing but discomfort I would drop it.

Otherwise the aquatherapy combined with the simple stretches should be more than enough. If you want to add walking in addition, fine.

As for the doc's response I would seriously consider going to a place where they really believe they can help you become functional. If it is truly a joke for them and an easy way to make money I would really be upset.

First and foremost do you believe you can get more functional?

If the answer to the question is yes than the time is to find someone else who also believes.