Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Circumferential Fusion

DegenerativeShellyDDegenerativeShelly Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
HI Guys...Am going in for my 3rd spine op in 2years and was wondering if anyone has had a fuions done "Circumferential" instead of the anterior approach...AS once they do the anterior they cant go in the same way again and now have to go in thru my side..

Anyone had this done as yet???

• Are you in the UK by any chance? The term "circumferential" isn't used that much in the U.S. And there seem to be more than one approach to perform this surgery -- more than one access, that is. Another person on the board is having a circumferential fusion later this month, and her surgeon is doing it posteriorly.

At what level is this surgery?
  • Thanx for your help...I live in Australia actually and my surgeon is doing the fusions at L2/3 and 3/4 by going in thru my side and thru my back and am greatful for any feedback on this prodedure.
  • I am the person from the UK who is having a 'circumferential' fusion on 19th March.
    My surgeon is approaching the disc posteriorly, and will do a discectomy, laminectomy and fusion on L4/L5 with cage and pedicle screws and rods.

What date is your surgery? I wish you well.
    If you can wait, I hope to post here how it goes as soon as I can.
  • Thanks for that info..I have mine done on the 17th of March and he is cutting in thru the side and the back as I all ready have fusions at L4/5 and L5/S1 and also in C4/5,5/6 and 6/7...I feel like a metalman!!!

Good luck with your op and I look forward to hearing how yours went also..
    Take care always

• You will beat me to it! We'll have to keep in touch, as we will be recovering together.

Did you have a fusion with your total disc replacement at L4/5?

I really hope that this spinal surgery (my first) will be the only one I need. I do know that I have other problems at other levels too. Seems that lots of 'spineys' have problems at several levels.

How do you feel about it? You have a good idea of what to expect. I've heard that the recovery after a lumbar fusion is more difficult than a cervical fusion.

Take care and hope all goes well during your surgery and the recovery afterwards.

• Just thought; there is a thread called 'March Surgeries', where lots of us are lurking, either just after surgery or while we are still waiting. Why don't you come along and join us?

What part of Australia are you from? My sister lives near Melbourne.
  • Im glad that we are going to be able to keep each other informed of the progress..I had the TDR at4/5 and the fusion at 5/S1...Recovery after this anterior approach was 7 days in hospital and then gentle 10 minute walks every day and a reivew with your Sureon 2 weeks after the surgery...

Recovering from the Cervical surgery seemed to take forever as he fused 3 levels..Im only now able to swallow properly as it takes months and monthsw for the sweliing to go down..

I live on the Gold Coast in Qld..
  • I will be so looking forward to know how yours goes as today they put mine off until the 12th of April.

• How do you feel about that Shelly?
    Are you relieved or disappointed?
    If it was me, I would be disappointed; now I have made the decision for surgery, I just want to get on with it!
  • HI Again,

Yeh I sure am disapointed..I had put my head i the right mindspace and was just coming to terms with it all and BANG, postponed..

I suppose its just another month on painkillers..

Where abouts in the UK to youlive as all my relatives are in Sheffield

Take care

• I am in Sussex, so a long way from Sheffield.
    Have you been to the UK?

We spent a month in Australia about 10 years ago.
    Started in Melbourne, visiting my sister and family on Mornington Penninsula, then flew to Sydney. We had an amazing flight in a sea plane over the harbour, bridge and opera house.

We also went to the Gold Coast and spent some time on Fraser Island at a lovely resort.
    Finished off at Port Douglas at the Treetops Hotel. I snorkelled for the first time at the Barrier Reef.
    We loved Australia and hope, one day, to visit again and go into the Centre.

Have a great weekend.
  • I went to the UK in 1979 so I would love to go back now as Im 42 and my relatives come out here to see me cause of my health..

I actually live on the Gold Coast so if and when you decide to come"Downunder" it would be great to meet you in person.
  • :)

Wouldn't it be great to meet up, with both of us having strong and painfree backs.
    There's something to hope for.
  • Hi Again...I hope all went well for you during the operation..Just letting you know that your in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care
  • Hi again..I hope that all is well after your surgery..Im going in on Monday and will be there for 7 days..

Take care and keep well..
  • I'm so sorry that I haven't got back to you about how I am doing.
    I've been posting flat on my back using an iPod, so not as easy as before, and I missed this post.

I am actually doing ever so well. Much better than I expected. My only real problem is that part of my incision hasn't healed because it wasn't pulled together properly. That area is still like a fresh incision and is leaking still. I have also had an allergic reaction to the dressing, so am still taking antihistimine tablets to control that.
    In the grand scheme of things, these are minor problems.

You can see more info on my recovery on a post called Jellyhall over the hill.

I'll try to move it up to help you find it.

I hope that you have a good weekend. Try to relax and do some fun things.
    Good luck for your surgery on Monday. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. I hope that you do as well as I have :-)
    Do let me know, when you can, how you get on.
  • Just wanted to pop in to send you good wishes. Sounds like you are a pro when it comes to spine surgeries...but we all like to know people are thinking about us and sending us their blessings.

I hope you will have as positive an experience as jelly has -- sounds like she is doing great!! I would think this would be easier than cervical surgeries, but I have only had lumbar so have nothing for comparison.

Come back and let us all know how you are doing, when you feel up to it, of course.

Take good care,
  • Hope that your surgery went well and that you are 'comfortable'.
    I think you will still be in hospital, but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and will be here waiting to hear how you got on.

It is such a wonderful sense of relief when the surgery is over.
    Hope you have a smooth recovery :-)
  • Thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes..Day 10 yesterday and they finally lte me out of hospital..The pain is a different one before the op was done and boy it hurts now.

Have to sit for 10 minutes and they laydown..My suregeon was hapy with the way things went except they discoverd a partial colapse at the bottom of my right lung which had caused them breathing difficulty througghout the op and I had to be on owxgen for 8 days...Hope you doing well and I thought about you a lot in hospital and was wondering about you..

Taker care and I will speak again in a few days..

• I've been lurking around looking for a post from you.
    So glad to hear that you are home again. Sorry about the pain, but it should get better week by week. Hopefully it is a healing pain, rather than the compression pain you had before surgery.

How is your wound? I ask because mine is still not healed. (Most of it is, but there is still about an inch and a half that is open.) I have developed an infection and am on antibiotics. I had to go to the hospital yesterday for the surgeon to check it, and he was happy that it is responding to the meds. I can't wait for it to heal and get rid of this dressing. Apart from that, I am doing very well; better than I ever expected. Going for a couple of walks outside each day and moving about quite a lot. Still find sitting for long uncomfortable, but have managed to extend how long I can sit to about 30 mins now.

How is your breathing now? You may find that you get out of breath easily for a while.
    Once you feel up to it try walking inbetween sitting and lying.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping that your recovery goes smoothly.
    Take care and follow the rules!
  • Thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes..Day 11,,,.The pain is a different one before the op was done and boy it hurts now.

Surgeon said that it would hurt for a while as he had to cut thru major nerves and muscles..He siad its easier that way for disks higher up..I told him he would have never got near me again after the pain with this one...Of all 3 surgiew, this has been the most painful wihtout a word of a lie..

My xrays make me look like the screw and bolt isle in your local hardware store!!!!

Have to sit for 10 minutes and they laydown..My surgeon was hapy with the way things went except they discoverd a partial colapse at the bottom of my right lung which had caused them breathing difficulty througghout the op and I had to be on owxgen for 8 days...This is now someithing my GP has to try and treat with minimal pain.

Hope your doing ok....
    Speak again in a few days..

• Just checking to see if there is any news of how you are doing.
    Hope that you are recovering well and that things are getting easier for you.
    Take care and keep resting. :-)
  • Thanks for your kind thoughts...Ii is still quite painful and my legs are giving me hell....Overall, Im doing much better...

How are you going???? Well I hope

• Hi Shelly,

I saw my surgeon today and he is happy with my progress. At last my incision is healed and has lost the scab (I had problems with it not healing, then developed an infection.) I do still get some minor twinges, aches, twitches and stabbing pains in my legs, feet and toes, but nothing like before surgery. The surgeon says this is quite normal.
    I had x-rays taken, but won't get the results until my next appointment in 4 weeks time. He will be looking for signs of fusion and checking that the interbody cage and pedicle screws and rods are all in place.
    I have now signed up for physiotherapy and will start in a couple of weeks.

I am definately better before surgery :-)