Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back brace

backpainsarabbackpainsara Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a question about wearing back brace. I have a hard shell brace that is really digging into my butt. I have been back for an adjustment and they tried to flare out the bottom of the brace, but it still is not working. I was wondering if I am sitting on the couch say watching tv is it important to wear the brace? I always wear it if I am walking around. I would appreciate any suggestion or input to this problem.. Thanks in advance!

• when you are sitting, that is a very important time to wear it, as sitting puts alot more pressure on your back. I would call your Dr. It is the only way to know for sure.
    I didnt have a brace, but was not allowed to sit other than to eat or use the restroom. Good LUck, Robin
  • They told me that it was important to wear my brace when sitting as that was one time that more stress was put on my back. My Neurosurgeon told me to wear it sitting, but that I couldn't sit up for all that long anyhow. I was allowed to leave the brace off if I was lying down or reclined. So I spend a lot of time in the recliner..no brace and I can still be in the living room.

When I try sitting with my brace on, especially on a squishy couch, the brace becomes very uncomfortable. Maybe you can consider sitting somewhere else from the couch? *Of course, check with your dr's office*, but I was told that sitting on squishy, deep furniture wouldn't work..and it didn't.

• No one should be sitting on a squishy couch after lumbar surgery anyway...brace or no brace. It is really terrible for your spine and should be avoided. If you must be on over-stuffed furniture, you're better off reclining so the discs are not fully loaded.

Sitting puts 30% more pressure on spinal discs than even standing...so it should be avoided in the first three months after spinal surgery.

Have you tried padding where the brace is digging in? Some people have used thick maxi-pads for that purpose with some success.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I find there are just some chairs I can not sit on. I have to put two pillows behind me on our main couch to get comfortable, on our family room couch I don't. Tonight we went out for dinner (salad buffet) and I was sure I'd need the hard chair and not the booth. Turns out the hard chair, in this case, didn't work but the booth was perfect. But at home I have a hard rocking chair that is super comfortable. So it's all trial and error BUT with the brace on.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos