Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

yooperyyooper Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
2 weeks now since my one level ACDF of C6/C7. I feel like I'm doing quite well....pain is decreasing, still have burning across my shoulders but I am soooooo exhausted! I haven't done much around the house except cook supper. No lifting, bending, or twisting.

But.....I am sleeping like crazy! Sleep all night....go back to bed after the kids get on the bus for 4-5 hours, take another nap in the afternoon for about 3 hours and sometimes after supper. I have no/zero energy. I'm down to taking 2 Anexia a day so I don't feel it's over the top with meds.

Anyone else feel like this? Wow! Sleeping more now than after my surgery. Crazy!

• Tina...don't sweat it. Still early after a big surgery. I am 4 weeks post op of a revision microdiscectomy and am only taking max of 1 valium and/or 1 percaset a day (and it's in the afternoon or at bedtime). Even when I don't take it, I get up at 6am with my husband. I do my walk and am up until about 8am at which point I crash for 1-2 hours before my pup decides I need another walk.

It's normal. Remember you are recovering and it's taking more energy to do the stuff you used to do.

It's crazy though. I schedule my day around my nap times. I can make it 2 days without naps but then am wiped out by 8pm.

Enjoy the sleep now while you have the excuse and need it
  • Needing to sleep is your body's way of saying "Hey, give me some time to get some healing work done here, would ya?"

Don't worry. You're only two weeks out and it takes a lot of time. This part of the process will wear off and you'll have more energy later. And what the heck - it's not like you can do anything anyway, so sleep away.

• Good for you!! Sleep when you need to and get out and walk when you are awake. Sounds like a great healing recipe to me.

Warning - all too soon you might find that it's IMPOSSIBLE to sleep - then you'll look back fondly on these sleepy days.
  • As everyone else is saying, I really don't think it is all that uncommon to be tired a lot after surgery. With that said, your last post and now this one makes me think you might be a little concerned about it. (I could just be imagining things. Wouldn't be the first time.) I don't think it would be unreasonable to call your surgeon or better yet your PCP and just ask.

Maybe call your PCP let him/her know your symptoms the amount you are sleeping and see if he thinks its normal or if he wants to run a few basic blood test. If nothing else, you will REST EASIER. No Pun Intentded. (Well Maybe a little bit intended.)

They may just recommend some vitamin B12.

Rest Easy,
  • Tina, that was me for quite awhile after my fusion (I had 2 priors that same year, so I was pretty wiped out to start with)
    I kid you not: I seemed to sleep from Jan- Easter that year, or at least needed an afternoon nap + somtimes an AM nap if the night b4 was rough.

I noticed an improvement at about 4 months, but then got really tired again..NS thought it co-incided w/ the fusion "taking"--all that bone growth takes energy & by then I was more active, so felt the effects of the activity, hence the sleepiness that would literally make me nod off while people were talking to me, or at church or even one time while taking a shower..!

It gets better. I don't need much sleep--usually get 5-6hrs & I'm fine. But post-fusion (& you are very early out yet) I was sawing wood much more than ever before or after.

I think, as Cath said, it's your body telling you it needs to rest/heal. Enjoy it...hunker down & zone out. No excuses needed! You've been thru MAJOR MAJOR surgery..fusions are just brutal on every aspect of your humanity.

• Looks like I'm pretty normal then....Tee-Hee. ;)
    Don't think I'll be going back to work next week like I thought I would. Went to dinner and grocery shopping with the family tonight and I'm back in the recliner with Anexia and my heating pad. :( Now I KNOW I'm not ready for a 9 hour day at work. Thanks for all of the responses.

FROG.....I wasn't whining this time, was I? LOL

• Yooper,
    You were so NOT whining. As a matter of fact, I was disappointed. I had to consume the "whine" and cheese by myself. (And we all know it’s not healthy to drink alone.)

Just want to make sure you didn’t take my sarcasm to literally either. I can be bad for that. I might need a 12 step program.

Seriously though, after my fusion I thought I was going to sleep my life away. The B12 did help me. I would take it in the AM with food. I still was tired, don’t get me wrong. But at least I didn’t fall asleep sitting up. At least not all the time.

Rest Easy,
  • Just razzing you Frog.....I just laughed every time I posted and you asked if I wanted cheese with my "whine." You made me laugh!! :) I love sarcasm! HA HA

Off to la-la land.....see you at noon! LOL