Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

throat swelling...how long & does anything help??

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my ACDF at C6/7 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have noticed I get throat swelling from the soft neck collar and also if I eat anything solid. If I totally stick to liquids I am pretty much okay until I have to swallow a pill...:(

problem is, liquids are boring & I am getting sick of tomato soup & jello :(

I know several have mentioned throat swelling but I thought that it was initially rather than a couple weeks out, I have to say today is worse than ever. Any feedback on how long this will last or should I be concerned at this point?

does anything make it better?

Thx :)

• If you are saying that is new swelling and it is getting worse you need to be calling the surgeon. They can do a swallow test to see what is the problem. Also they may need a set of x-rays as well. Have you had a check-up sense your surgery? If this is a on going problem from surgery what did the surgeon say on that appointment. I had problems with my hardware and it had to be removed but it was a bridged plate. From the time it was put in till it was removed 6 months later they surgeon new up front it was going to be a issue. I could swallow more than liquid though, had to be somewhat watered down.
  • It has been an issue since surgery but is usually worse depending on what I eat..today is different because it has been swollen w/o eating the typical culprits (bread, meat, etc)

I can physically eat a few bites of something before the swelling sets in and cuts the meal short. On occasion I require water to get food down.

I know what ur talking about with the plate but they used a low profile plate & screws on me because of my size..they said with me being small I would feel the usual plate.

come to think of it, they did say I may feel the swelling more than someone else too, so maybe that is why I am still experiencing this..?
    I was hoping someone would say it would all be better by week 3 :))

thx :)
  • Hi Tatiyana,
    I had the same thing happen post surgery, that's why I ended up in the hospital for 5 days as opposed to two. Had to get a speach therapist and assessment...I believe you've stated your own cure...water!!! That's what helped me get the bigger stuff down, tho I havent tried bread yet!!

Take care,
  • I guess its just something I will have to deal with for a while. Maybe I should stop trying the regular food until my throat heals.

Isnt it funny that the throat can be so irritated by just being moved?

I may need to start looking into other soup recipes..tomato & chicken noodle are getting old :(
  • I feel your pain ;-) I am so tired of chicken noodles!!!

What I really need is a filet mignon, but the thought of putting it in a blender is both wrong, and very Nasty ;)

I think maybe smoothies with protein might be Yummy!!

Anyway, take it easy Tatiyana....I hope you find something appetizing!!!