Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think my SCS, IPG

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Flipped over or broke loose.It's sticking out of my IPG pocket. It was infected with a "puss" Puss pocket on the inside. From being laid on it for 2+ hrs. during my XLIF surgery. But I had a round of Keflex and that took care of the infection. I still had pain but figured it was from irritation and inflammation that was caused from laying on it all of that time.
But it was really hurting me tonight so I looked at it in a mirror. And it is protruding out of the pocket more that it ever has. It's sticking out like it is going to break through my skin. And the skin is all red around the part that's sticking out the furthest. I had my 8wk. appoint. w/the surgeon on Thurs (a little early) But I think I might have to call and see if I can get in on Mon. Cause this is freaking both me and my wife out.
I was going down to the valley tomorrow for a birthday party for my niece. It looks like I may need to stay down there. Closer to the Dr., I live 3+ hrs. away. And I would only be about 1+ hr. away from him If I stay down there.
Has anyone ever had their IPG stick way out of the pocket. It looks like it wants to pop out of my skin!
Jim :S
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Until yesterday and today.And it didn't feel any different.
    Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Is it a rechargeable IPG? If so, a good way to verify if it has flipped or not, is to try and recharge it. You won't be able to if it has flipped.

If the stitches holding it secured in the pocket have torn loose, it can move around and stick out at weird angles. I would definitely contact your doc first thing!

If it looks like it is going to erode through the skin (as in break the skin) then go to the ER and have them check it. If it breaks through the skin and becomes exposed, then you are at tremendous risk of infection throughout the entire system.

Don't suffer needlessly. Have someone take a look at it.

"C"
    Is fully rechargeable "C" and I just tried to charge it and it will charge. And the transmitter works, as do all of the programs. I'm still freaked out!
    Jim
  • I would be freaking out too Jim! :SS That does not sound good although it is still working fine. I would get in to see someone as soon as you can. It sounds like there may still be some infection if the skin is red.
    Best of luck my friend. Please keep us updated.
    Patsy W :H
  • What the heck... :/

Have you been doing "the twist" or "the bump" over there? The silk pj's are for lounging... no Chubby Checker moves or disco bumps, okay? I'm going to ask for my platform shoes back, if you don't settle yourself down.

I'm worried about you... :S

Were you able to make it down to the valley? I hope so, that way you won't have the extra hours of travel time to get in and see your doctor.

Please... let us know how you check out tomorrow, just as soon as you can.

I'll be saying prayers for you, my friend.

Wishing you a good outcome from your doctors visit,

Tammy >:D<
    After getting info from "C" and researching, I called my A.N.S. rep. And I'm sure it didn't flip. It obviously got torn from it's anchors in surgery and after they got rid of the infection,The ipg continued to get inflamed. From sitting with high back seats, car rides, recliner, etc. And sleeping on my back.
    So I was confident enough to wait for my scheduled appoint. with the surgeon on Thurs. And that was the soonest time my Ans rep could meet with us. I went down to the valley to my nieces' 1st b-d party and came back home till Thurs.
    I will get to be CUT AGAIN! Tammy, is that enough punishment for me. Or do I still have to relinquish my ruby red pumps? =))
    I'm keppin' the silk P.J.s I don't care what anyone says! :D
    Jim
  • The good thing is that having the IPG pocket reopened and then closed again doesn't burn like it did when it was first created to implant your IPG. I found I had to charge in shorter bursts for a few weeks as the incision healed, but it was very tolerable. The doc used that surgical superglue to close it so I could charge without worrying about staples being in the way.

Glad that you were able to get in touch with your rep and doc. Let us know how things go on Thursday.

"C"
    because I'll have to have it reprogrammed since this surgery has changed the pain pattern. And I know this can't be as painful as when they put it in. Because it wouldn't fit and they had to chisel my hip bone to get it in there! Ouch!
    Jim
  • Between walking the floors at night, needing help from a turkey baster, trying to survive the weather, not to mention recovering from your surgery... this SCS episode is just the pits. :(

I will send you a back-up pair of pumps, just as soon as you get back to walking during the day and all of your pains are at a tolerable level. Not before that, though... k?

I am so glad "C" and the rep were able to help you. Thursday will be here soon, so please... take it easy over there.

You are truly an adventurous one... but right now you need to cool your jets... so nothing else tries to sneak up on you. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing how your visit goes on Thursday. Do you drive straight to the doctor's office (3 plus hours), or do you spend the night before at a relatives house?

Take good care over there. :)

I'll be keeping my eye on you, so please behave yourself.

Tammy

advertisement