Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Alternative Treatments
I have been going for accupuncture for about a month now, and can't belive I am in less pain. My spasms in my rt shoulder are considerably less, you can touch my shoulder without me screaming! My rib cage is also less painful. He is only working on my rt shoulder and rib cage right now, and said that after 2 months it should be at least 50% better. I have to admit, it's been a month and I am in less pain then I can remember being in for years. I have had a lump of muscle spasms that is visible in the back of my neck for many years. Now after a month of accupuncture it is still there, but it's decreased in size so much I can't believe it. I am not sure if it is visible to other people now, or if it can only be felt. I wouldn't wear my hair up in the summer because this lump of muscle looked as though I had a tumor on my neck it was so big. One doctor who I saw made me go for a CT scan for it because he thought I was wrong and it wasn't a muscle spasm.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know that this is helping me...

• I'm glad it's helping. I've been using acupuncture for at least 8 years, off and on, for a variety of issues. The guy I go to currently uses the needles to break up adhesions and also to "warm up" the tissues before doing body work to realign areas of soft tissue around my spine and pelvic girdle. He only practices in orthopedic cases.

His wife went to medical school for two years and really didn't like it, so switched to Chinese medicine. She uses acupuncture to treat primarily internal issues...so, together, they make a great team.

For many people, the results of an acupuncture treatment are too slow in coming. They want more instant results, so they do not feel it is effective. But slowly but surely people seem to get good results.

Thanks for posting and let us know how the progress continues.

• Glad to hear you are getting results.
    I am starting to research alternative treatments as preventative. Accupuncture is one that intrigues me. Chiropractors scare me though I did agree to speak to one before my 1st surgery...he was good...he looked at my MRI report and said he would only treat me if he could work with my doctor. A sign of a good chiropractor.

I know accupuncture helped my sister. She swears her 2nd child who was breach turned b/c of the accupuncture (combo of needles, and oils rubbed into the feet).

• As I guess with anything in life, so much depends on the person doing the acupuncture. I have heard a couple acupuncturists agree that the doctors who offer it as a sidelight of their practice are usually not as good as the ones that have gone to an accredited acupuncture school, have gone through the whole curriculum, and perform acupuncture on a regular basis.

Apparently MDs can do a much abbreviated course and can get a license without doing a clinical internship under a licensed acupuncturist. Consequently, they learn part of the technique but not all the different things one can do with acupuncture. I guess you could say they learn the "basics" but not all the subtleties.

Also some acupuncturists run more of a factory. The woman I went to for years did her training under one of these people. He would make the initial evaluation and then the patient would sign up for a certain number of treatments. The treatment was never changed from week to week...the same number of needles were used in the same locations, regardless of results. I prefer to go to someone who is only operating out of one or two rooms, who spends half the appointment talking to you, evaluating how the treatment worked, what should be changed, etc. In other words, a personalized approach.

Unfortunately many people have their first experience with acupuncture in a more clinical setting where things are more routine rather than personalized. They don't get any response the first couple times, and then conclude "acupuncture doesn't work."

This is unfortunate because a good acupuncturist can make a big difference for a whole variety of issues.

• I am convinced that acupuncture is as effective as medications or other traditional pain treatments, but my problem is that Medicare won't cover it.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on what it costs?

Locally, we have an acupuncturist who is highly regarded by some of the doctors I know. She has an MD as well as a degree in Chinese medicine.
  • I live in CT and I'm paying $70 per session, once per week. I have had five sessions so far. I can't tell any difference yet that I can directly attribute to Acupuncture, but they told me it could take 4-6 sessions to notice a benefit. I figure that I'll give them at least 7 or 8 sessions. If it works, it is worth every penny!

Best wishes!
  • So, who's tried acupuncture for their back pain and does it work?
    I am in the UK and my doctor has referred me on the NHS.
  • I've tried acupuncture by my PT and it really relaxed me so much so I wanted to sleep right there so I guess it relaxes the muscles? I only had 7 treatments as I ran out of funds but hope you find some relief. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have used acupuncture to battle pain and I think it is awesome. Only problem is the relief is short lived and the treatments have to be repeated a few times a week initially and the effects last longer the more treatments I receive.

• Garys37: It varies where you live, I'm in the Southwest and I paid $60 & $65 per session at two separate places; for me personally it didn't do much. Both places said try 3 treatments, if you don't improve don't come back. I do believe in it for many things; but it won't be a cure for everything, especially if there is something mechanically wrong. The infertility docs are into it alot too.
  • I pay $65/visit, as it's not covered by my ins. company. I too have found relief and better mobility (at least for 3 days, sometime more) after I have a session. My next one is about 1 week away, and I can't wait to get some sort of relief from this pain.
  • Does the acupuncture simply relieve pain or does it actually help to fix what is wrong, such as herniated disc?
  • Not certain that there's a definitive answer for you on this. If you believe in the medicine behind the acupuncture, then I would say "yes". Acupuncture helps set the body's own healing and pain relieving abilities back into synch. So in essence it "could" possibly encourage your body to heal itself independent of surgical intervention. I am only speaking from my limited knowledge on acupuncture. I have had great success with acupuncture and do believe in its ability to help.

• Thanks! I am trying to keep positive about it helping! at this time I am dealing with swelling, pain and black and blue directly on my cervical spine..not sure if it is from the acupuncture or my last epidural..