Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what landed us here???

mcb1973mmcb1973 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All-

Just wondering what landed us here....

Speaking for myself two different rear end accidents.

Just feeling soar.
advertisement

Comments

• I was learning how to water ski and I wrecked real hard. :( I heard and felt my disc pop. :S :(

Not going to water ski again. ;)
  • I fell off of a top bunkbed....straight back. Just got worse over the years until it was enough pressure to rupture the disc. I feel soooooo much better after my surgery. Amazing!
  • Helicopter crash in 84 - all areas "hurt" now failing. 2 hit and runs from "drunks" I am guessing as to how they drove away! Helicopter - whole spine had issues, car (both rear end hits) upper back and neck.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • ....a sneeze!!!!

on top of bad genetics, normal (and abnormal) wear and tear.

there i was, talking on the phone, reaching infront of me with the other hand,....ACHOO...SCREAM...and the back has never been the same since.

dawn
  • a rear end car accident June 2007, toyota hilux dual cab with bull bar, thought I had gone, but hadn't (was waiting for an oncoming car).
    Get this... the insurance company says it's partly my fault because I proceed out of the intersection (according to other driver) and stopped suddenly.
    I say baloney, I didn't proceed out and luckily being in the insurance industry knew to take a photo of where the glass from my back windscreen on the road, which clearly proves I was behind the line.
    Fighting with the company over everything from pre-existing injuries to accident being my fault, man I hate insurance companies!
    Kylie
  • Dawn...I was told a sneeze or a stretch is so common. I stretched upon waking up one morning...and POP!

Of course has sciatica for years. Started in college and unsure if it was from spinning out on black ice. But hadn't hurt in 7 years...was training for my final marathon (hindsight should have quite while I was ahead) and had a massage (also regret)...and leg pain was terrible. I took 5 days off exercising and was getting better but nope, the disc was spring loaded and it was a matter of time....in my case time and a stretch that pushed me into where I am.

I'm 5-6 months in dealing...and optimistic that this happened to force me to rethink how I'm approaching my life...but it aint easy. Thankfully I have all you folks who understand!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Very interesting topic!

For me it appears to be purely poor genetics or even possibly an effect of any medications my birth mother took (in the 60's there were many meds that were later shown to cause some abnormalities).

I have lax ligaments and tendons. Many of my joints are loose and move too much including those in my spine, knees, and feet thus far.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I don't know where it all started. Maybe it was that diving accident in a concrete pool in Illinois. Or a bad fall I had while in the Air Force. Or years of physical abuse at the steel mill. But here I am..a fusion patient!

Aloha,
    Aaron
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Fell out of the top bunk bed in a camper at the Michigan Nascar race. Been downhill ever since.
  • Mine was moving greeting cards racks back when I worked in retail. There were 10 units and I was on #8. Felt a slight twinge in my lower back. Stopped, sat down and within 5 minutes was in intense pain and couldn't stand up straight. By the time I got to the hospital, I couldn't get straighter than around 90 degrees. After that, it was 3-4 flare ups per year, with seemingly no general cause for them.

Regarding car accidents, I rear-ended a semi truck approximately 15 years after the greeting card rack incident. I was in the middle of one of my flare ups at the time. After the car accident, I spent 6 months with absolutely no pain in my back! It was the longest time my back was continuously pain free during the 20 years between the greeting card rack incident and my fusion surgery.
  • immyali said:
    Gravity?

gravity - (physics) the force of attraction between all masses in the universe; especially the attraction of the earth's mass for bodies near its surface; "the more remote the body the less the gravity"; "the gravitation between two bodies is proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them"

• It's so much clearer now. :))( =D>
  • I ended up here from birth defects, and heredity. I was also born in the late 60's, when some dr prescribed some interesting meds to mothers. And my father is also a Army Vet, and was exposed to some interesting chemicals. Could some of it come from dealing blackjack for years bending at the same spot? Were these the causes, and/or contributing factors? Could be.

Bobbi Jo
  • let's see----13 years ago I fell in a school cafeteria,and hit my back on the edge of the concrete wall of a handicap ramp.That probably started the degeneration and arthritis,as the sites of my fusions are right where I fell.Moving furniture,lifting children and grandchildren probably helped too.I have fallen several times over the last few years,so that too!
  • I've probably done it lol let's see to start from the beginning...hit by an ATV when I was 5, hit by a drunk driver while I was riding a motorcycle at 12, rolled my VW beetle because of a blow out on a bad road at 17, rear-ended by a drunk driver at 20...25 years of softball and probably close to the same of lifting and carrying things I probably shouldn't have during various manual-labor based jobs.
  • Three and a half years ago coming home from work my husband and I in the car hit 2 jaywalkers well they were running at the time from behind a stopped SUV so unable to see them until they split our windshield. I felt a twinge in my back after stopping short at 40 MPH and I didn't want to get checked out at the hospital because I just got off work at midnight and I was tired. A few days later we moved then gradually my back kept getting worse at work heavy lifting bending etc.

After trying to get to work in work walking through a blizzard over snow mounds I collapsed in the doorway and called in sick for work. Three months later with mild back and leg pain finished 3-12 hour shifts and collapsed on the couch for 3 days and went for an MRI and then ER and never returned to work 2 years ago. So I have to say a series of unfortunate events.

PS Two people hit by our car ended up with a broken nose and charged with Highway 44 act crossing against a light. Accident witnessed by two police Officers.They moved back to their own country they were drunk at the time and if not they would've been hurt more!
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had a spinal infection caused by a bone fragment which somehow broke loose. The infection ate away at my healthy spine and Poof, here I am.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • 27 years of nursing. I took so much pride in taking excellent care of my patients. My reward was seeing my patients stable, pain free, in wonderful condition. Nurses really sacrifice their health for the profession...but, I have no regrets!

Lisa
  • ...for 30 years, maybe? I'm 5'11" and teach elementary...could that repetitive motion of bending waaaay down have caused the spondy & synovial cyst @ L4/L5 that ruptured, attached to the dural covering & invaded the nerves...? Who knows?!

But, same as Lisa, I have no regets. Still teaching after 3 spinals, including the fusion, but now I don't BLT---I squat! Ha!! Killer thighs! :) The only benefit of the fusion I can think of at the moment...! (Besides still being able to do what I love!)

Great thread!

~Lakeside
  • The causes of my disc issues come down to genetic DDD. Bent over to pick up a comforter. Herniated disc at L4/5. Seemed to be fine after a laminectomy in 08/06. Then over zealous dog yanked me off my feet in 12/07, causing disc to completely deteriorate. L4/5 Fusion 11/09 with decompression laminectomy.
  • In my case, a car accident on Jan 15, 2009. Driving down a divided highway, another car tried to cross in front of me. I could not stop in time and hit the back of their pick up truck which pulled the front of my car to the right.

I remember before and after the accident. But, there is about 15 seconds at the time of the impact I have no clue as to what happened.
  • Hit by a wave in the ocean. It was like I was in a dryer.
  • 18 years ago, I was trying to avoid hitting a car as he was pulling out infront of me. I was traveling at 75mph, and rolled my car twice, which resulted in a severe T-12 burst fracture that almost left me paralyzed, from there more painful ailments began popping up on my yearly MRI's.....
  • L4-L5 disc:

-I bent over to lift a very heavy box and did not bend my knees or use sensible lifting posture. Audible pop.

-Slipped in a puddle of water and fell on my back bumper.

-Kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

L5-S1:

-Jumping for joy(literally) when I closed escrow on a property I had sold.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hi all,
    I was in a car accident. I was hit from behind by a car trying to pass me. The impact sent me into the ditch where I hit a concrete culvert. Went from 50mph to zero in one foot with only a lap belt, thank God for the belt though. Been downhill ever since.
    God Bless,
    George

Lami 07, PLIF L5-S1 08, Hardware out Jan 10,
    awaiting nerve surgury Mar 25, 2010.
  • I have severe DDD, along with herniations, etc.

I have over the years been in a few fender benders, nothing significant. However, I also did a lot of heavy lifting building rock walls for my garden, lifting things that were too heavy, etc., sure that didn't help much.

My surgeon is totally baffled by me. Aside from having 4 lumbar levels fused/fusing I now have a totally messed up neck, severe DDD, herniations and kyphosis. Guess I'm just lucky and my neck wasn't going to let the lumbars have all of the fun!
  • I was in a very bad car accident 30 years ago where we were hit headon by a drunk driver and, because I was not wearing a seatbelt, I was thrown into the windshield where my head hit the shield and my jaw hit the metal dashboard. My knees also hit the dashboard and actually dented it, but I didn't have any broken bones and was not seriously injured. I had some pain in my neck, but was more concerned about the pain in my knees and getting ultrasound on my jaws for six months so I could open my mouth. I was such a youngun and, being indestrucable, I thought I was fine.

So, throughout the following 30 years, I took Taikwando, lifted bricks landscaping my backyard, shoveled snow, danced, etc. And all the while, my spine was crumbling and I never knew it until two years ago when I officially became a spiney.

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have done some of the things I did that I'm sure contributed to my bad spine. But, what's done is done and all you can do is take care as best you can now.

Cath
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Fortune and being very lucky.

Because I did land here, over the years as a member I experienced the help and compassion from so many other members. CHAT brought a happy life line into my daily activities.

Then, as I moved on as Administrator here, I still feel so lucky to work very closely with the Spine-Health Owners, the other Moderators and the Authority team.

And never do I forget that I am also a member and know first hand how members care for other members.

Guess, this was not the response that one would have
    expected
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement