Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3-Level Discectomy Tomorrow Morning

sstbmadsenssstbmadsen Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm going tomorrow for my L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 laminotomy and discectomy. I'm cautiously optimistic as I have 98% nerve pain and 2% back pain. Although I've only commented a few times, I've come to this website for knowledge, warning, encouragement, etc nearly every day for the past 10 months I've been dealing with my condition. Thanks everyone for your help you may not have even known you were giving.

Wish me luck.

• Boyd...just wanted to wish you all the best in your surgery tomorrow and recovery. Remember, "slow and steady wins the race". Your job after surgery is rest, light walks (if doctor says it's ok), and no bending, lifting, or twisting (BLT)...oh and no sittin for more than 5-10 mins at a time.

I hope you are finding a way to relax and pamper yourself today...even if it means going out to dinner with friends or buying something for yourself!

Keep us posted when you are feeling up to it when you get home.
  • here wishing you luck.You have are prayer.

• I wish you well tomorrow for your surgery. Hope that your recovery will be smooth.

There is a thread called 'March Surgeries'; why not come and join us. There are several people who have just had their surgery, and quite a few of us who are still waiting to have ours.
  • Thinking of you and saying a prayer now so I won't forget get better soon and keep us posted when you're able. I hope you have someone to help you at home afterwards. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Best wishes to you and your doctor tomorrow. Are you having a fusion as well?
  • no. Not having a fusion. Saw 2 orthopedic surgeons and 1 neurosurgeon and all recommended the discectomy, although 1 said there are some indications for a fusion (multi-level discectomies have a higher recurrence of herniations that single level discectomy.), but ultimately said that he thinks there is a good chance the discectomy will be succesful.
  • All the best for tomorrow and sweet dreams on the "happy juice"

• You should be on the other side of surgery now.
    Hope that all went well and that your pain is being well controlled. Now just relax and allow your body to heal. Follow all instructions and don't over do it.

Will watch out to hear how you are doing.

Take care
  • Sending prayers and well wishes for a successful surgery, steady pain control and speedy healing. Looking forward to hearing how you are doing! Take care, Shari
  • I'm home!!!! Well, to be honest, I came home yesterday in the early afternoon, so I ended up staying a little more than 24 hours in the hospital.

The surgeon said that things went pretty much as he hoped. He was able to remove very little lamina, while getting a good amount of disc. My L5-S1 had calcified quite a bit, but he feels like he got enough of it to give me relief.

Today it feels like the anesthesia is wearing off and that I am feeling a little clearer in the brain, which is always good. Pain-wise, I have quite a bit of muscle pain, my sciatica feels really good excpet for when I do the log roll, which I am getting better at ever time I do it.

I took 4 or so walks yesterday and am getting ready to take one here in a few minutes. Just taking it very easily. Overall, I feel quite good and am thankful for you prayers and well wishes. I am still kinda groggy, so any questions you might have for me I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks again.

• Glad you're back home and doing your exercises walking so well. Don't stray too far from home if you're still groggy. I wish you all the best with your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Great to hear of another March Spiney who is over to the other side of surgery.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Keep that up and keep walking.

• My husband had a 2 level microdiscectomy over 8 years ago and is still doing great! You would never know he'd had back surgery at all. It is possible :) :)
  • Boyd...great news! I was wondering how things went. Yes, I know people with 2-level MicroD's that are also more than 2 years out and doing fine.

Sounds like you are following doctor's orders.
    Remember, the first week, 5-10min 'walks' every hour or so is enough...just to get you moving.

Glad to hear you are doing well and hopefully they gave you a muscle relaxer to help with the tense back.

The spiney log roll - you'll be an expert in about 2 more days. You'll be telling all your friends how to get out of bed 'safely'.

Glad some of the grogginess is leaving...but don't be surprised if you are sleepy for a week. After surgery I found sleep was my friend.
  • Ugh. Had an awful night last night. I was doing so well until about 2 in the morning when I woke up with some of the most insane nausea and diarrhea I have ever experienced.

I had a check up with my surgeon today. He took me off of the soma, torodal, and percocet and is just having me take good old tylenol. He said that since I used lortab before the surgery, I can take that every 6 hours as needed and will probably handle it ok.

The incision is looking good and now that I am not vomiting my head off, I'm feeling pretty good, but man, there is nothing like projectile vomiting to make your back feel great 2 days after surgery :)

• I'm so sorry that you had to endure that.
    I hope that tonight will be much better and than you will sleep.

Things will get better, and before too long, you will be over the worst.

Take care, and get plenty of rest.
  • I had L5-S1 microdiscectomy last August, and day 2 after surgery, my guts went haywire. I didn't vomit, but had terrible cramps and diarrhea. I lived with it for 2 days before I finally got some Imodium AD and that stopped it immediately. I never took any pain meds, so I figured it was the anesthesia and stress of the surgery...who knows, but it was aweful! Hope you are feeling better...if not try Imodium!
  • 2 weeks post op and things are going really well for me. My nerve pain is pretty much a 0 or 1 unless I move the wrong way, in which case my nerves remind me that they are still angry.

My back is stiff, but I can feel it healing up slowly but surely.

I'm just taking it as easy as possible. I haven't bent, lifted, or twisted yet (twisting being the hardest one, I find.)

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. I know I still have a long way to go, but hope that I can get back to just living even a semi-normal life.

• Boyd it is great news that you are doing so well! Congrats!

I too had a similiar GI experience after my first 2 back surgeries. It turns out it was from the antibiotics. This time, I insisted on a probiotic!

Unfortantly that didn't keep me from vomiting this time around too, but I tried. They did tell me to tell to vomit by laying on you side, and vomiting into a bucket/bowl, to decrease the force on the discs in your spine. It's doable, just have to plan ahead and have the bowl ready!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing! Shari