Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Drainage after microD

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am six days out of a microdiscectomy. I went in on Mon. and left the bandage on until Wednesday night because it was falling off, then I put on a new one. Since Friday I have left off the bandage as my dr. said it would be fine if I was comfortable with it off. So last night I woke up and noticed the back of my shirt was all wet. I had drainage coming from my wound. I tried to put a new bandage on it, but within 20 minutes it was soaked through. The drainage finally stopped but it still looks like there is a hole there that is seeping. Also, at first my incision site looked like it was a belly button, kinda like they pinched my skin together, then stapled it. Now it is straightened out, and looks like a normal scar. Definatley weird? So should I call my dr now, or wait until Monday morning? Is this normal?

• I think that it would be wise to contact your Drs Office. Normally they have someone on call who can answer your questions. I might be a case of needing some antibiotics. And we all know the sooner the better. Good Luck. Love Robin
  • I called my dr. this afternoon after getting a headache. He told me to keep cleaning the area with peroxide and watch for a fever. He also said they would call me in the morning and get me in on Tuesday to see my dr. He also said they may call me in an antibiotic tomorrow just in case.
  • Amanda...so glad you called.
    I saw your post earlier and don't have experience with staples or draining...but would have suggested the same thing about calling the doctor.

Keep a close eye on your temperature and very good the doctor is calling in an antibiotic for you in the am!

I hope your headache has subsided a bit.