Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nurses are amazing!!

aardvark85308aaardvark85308 Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After spending 5 days in the hospital for a two level acdf, my one conclusion is that nurses are the most selfless unbelievably compassionate, and altruistic people I've ever met. I feel so privelaged, safe and secure knowing they were there to support every complication, no matter how minor or major. You really are VERY special people, and I am humbled in your presence!!!

• That's great you had good care while in the hospital. It's good when the Nurses are trained in that field of post-op Spine surgery so best suited to help in every way in that area. As a student Nurse I went through all areas of Nursing and even worked part time in Rehab Ortho where you go after the hospital after hip replacement or major rehab after a car accident etc. I'm now an ER Nurse but haven't worked for 2 years but for 21 years I put my whole heart and soul in the job mainly because my Grandmother had MS and I wanted to help people and I always pictured her as any patient and looked after everyone as if it were me or my Grandma or specially challenged brother. I'm 49 now and hope I still have a few more years left to go before I retire and I hope I'll be able to get back and help others out there. You're a man after my own heart when you praise nurses!. Take care. Charry (RN)
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • For what you all do, with the compassion that You do it, you deserve the world. In the hospital it was truely an awakening....I am in awe. Thank you Charry!!

• Peter,

You are so absolutely correct and to many times the nurse get over looked for their contribution in your care. I can say with my own surgeries I have never run across any nurse who doesn't really want and try to help. They may not have the answer but everyone I have met will work as hard as possible to find it or resolve it. So i say thank you to all the nurses out there.
  • but in the end I burnt out emotionally, mentally and physically. It was too hard dealing with families heartache when their loved ones died or dealing with people at their worst day in and day out.
    I left because I felt I was no longer able to be the kind compassionate nurse i prided myself on being. When I found it difficult to be pleasant to people I realised that they deserved better than I could give them anymore.
    So yes, my hat is off to any nurse who has continued to nurse for many years and has maintained their compassion and happy attitude. They are real gems.
  • i too had wonderful nurses following my most recent surgery. I was sure to write good things on the hospital comment cards.
  • My nurses were so perfect for me I am still praising them 2 months after. I didn’t feel that they were singled out enough for the fine work they did, so I am still pointing that out to them. I have written a couple of different letters making sure they get the recognition they deserve.

• That is so awesome! How lucky are we all to even cross paths with these people in the first place!!! Imagine, they chose such a difficult profession, physically, mentally and emotionally, and they do it with such an attitude as to enroll us in the positive healing power of their creation! I am so humbly in awe of their strength! I will definitely be passing on my thanks to these wonderfully gifted people, but words alone are difficult to express their awesomness;) and the feeling of safety when they are caring for us!

• My appreciation and admiration go out to ALL nurses, so those on this board feel free to stand as we all give you a standing ovation!!! This includes of course the nurses I came in direct contact with at the neuro acute unit of saint joe's hospital in phoenix for my 5 day stay. But again, it is to all you nurses who have added nobility to an altruistic profession.

It goes without saying that the surgeons involved are amazingly gifted, its just that the aftercare that gives us that very warm blanket of comfort!!!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Could not of been said better!!!
  • I was a nurse for 30 years. Thank you for the pat on the back. Not easy being on the other side of the coin now. I know too much of what should be done. I have had some great nursing care and other times, grrrrrrrrr.

• The nurses I had at both of my surgeries were fantastic, especially during my TLIF. They were the most understanding, caring and sympathetic group of nurses I could ever have hoped for.

So I also say thanks to all the great nurses out there. When you're feeling your worst, there's nothing better than a bunch nurses that works hard to try and make it better.

• 30 years!! You deserve the GREATEST pat on the back Marianne!!! I am so in awe!

Take care,

• its such a difficult time, pain, stress and fear, and they just put us at ease...I think they have magic powers ;) whatever it us, they're incredible. If what goes around comes around....nurses have so much goodness and rewards banked!!!
  • after my acdf, the icu nurses were simply my guardian angels and then the nurses in the neuro ward were also guardian angels, but with just one size smaller wings that the nurses in icu had. 3 months after my surgery, i had the wife take me to see's candy to purchase two large assorted baskets of candies,and then took them to each of the nurses stations to say thank you =D> =D> to all of these wonderful nurses that helped my recovery in the hospital. God Bless All, kc
  • Rose was my nurse at the Rehab hospital after my 2006 surgery. She was special, for sure. On the morning of my discharge, she pushed my wheelchair out and gave me a very emotional hug(my emotions). 13 months later and I'm back in the same Rehab hospital but this time I wasn't on the spinal cord injury floor. A day passes and who shows up to say hello, Rose. She saw my name on the admits and remembered me. Of the 100's of patients she sees in a year, she remembered me. She came to visit me on her breaks until my discharge. I will never forget how special Rose was, and I'm sure is to her current patients.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    Many of you know that my wife is in the medical field.
    She was a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years, then got her RN degree and now coordinates a Pulmonary Rehab Center at our hospital.

A good portion of our social life is with other nurses, PAs, doctors and others from the medical field.
    So many times this gives me an inside knowledge in to what their fields are all about.

Snipets from healthfieldmedicare web site

What is a Nurse?
    A nurse is a highly trained and skilled professional who cares for the sick and infirm. A nurse helps to educate patients in issues of healthy living and wellness as well as any current or chronic disease process and treatment. A nurse performs treatments and procedures as prescribed by physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

Characteristics of Nurses

Nurses need to have a great deal of compassion for their fellow human beings. They have to have good communication skills in both listening as well as speaking and writing in the language of the area in which they practice. Nurses have to be patient and they often have to have a thick skin. Patients are usually ill or concerned about their health status and are not at their best

Nurses are most honest and ethical

Nurses for the eighth consecutive year have scored in the top rankings in the Gallup Poll of The Most Honest and Ethical Professions. In the poll conducted by Gallup from December 8-10, 2006, 84% of Americans described nurses' ethics as either "very high" or "high." Only 2% of those polled said nurses have "low" ethical standards, and 14% considered nurses standards to be "average

You can tell I have a very high regard for the nursing profession. Besides being in the social group of many, I have be a patient many many times and have experienced just what a nurse can bring to someone who is in the hospital.

I am also not naive to think that every single nurse is perfect. Just as in any other profession, there are always those that just want to skim along and really not put a lot of effort into their job.

In my own words, I still find it amazing how both professionally and emotionally, nurses can handle trauma or futile situations. There are so many times that a nurse knows that a patient is not going to make it, yet, that doesnt stop them from doing all they can for the patient and for the family.

It takes a certain kind of person to become a nurse.
    I am just so very glad that we do have many out there who have taken to that profession and dedicate themselves to helping the patients.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The more I hear about these wonderful people, the more a feel honored to have crossed paths with some of them. My med alarm went off just as this email came in, and its so different to just 'take' your meds as opposed to having them administered by a nurse...it seems the special energy that they have topped with a smile and kind word add so much more to the healing power.

I just sent a very long descritiom of the awesomeness of the nurses at Saint Joe's in Phoenix, to their customer relations department...I hope it finds its way to the people much more deserving than just words;)

My highest respect and gratitude to your wife Ron!