Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm a newbie

Crystal47CCrystal47 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
Just to introduce myself here, my name is Crystal and i have been diagnosed with bulging discs and spurs on my spine. I'm not sure of the medical terms but am awaiting a date for surgery on my neck somewhere between the c3 and c6 vert. At the present time I suffer from pain and burning in my neck and between the shoulders. My arms and hands are so sensitive to anything cold or touching and moving of my fingers. The surgeon told me I should have surgery as soon as he can,(about a month from when I met him) that without the operation (spinal fusion) I will probably be in a wheelchair in about 2 yrs. It's been a month now and still haven't heard anything.
I have the most caring attentive spouse ever and family support.
I'm looking forward to reading and maybe asking questions, and meeting people with similar spinal problems here.

• I'm sorry you're having so much pain right now and awaiting your surgery. Hopefully your Surgeon contacts you soon as to your date. Check out the post-op must haves in the surgery section. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • welcome! I am a back spiney,so I have no tips,but there are alot of people on here that are-this is a wonderful site!
  • Hi Crystal,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. I am a fellow cervical patient fused from c3-c6. A good place for you to start is in the FAQ section and look at article 38 questions to ask your surgeon. I say start there to see if you understand and know the answers to the questions to the surgery you are having. Some things you might want to know are what type of bone grafting material will they be using? What levels will the surgery be on. My guess is you will be having a procedure known as ACDF=anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. There is a animated video here(in the video library) that shows the procedure and is very educational Also a very good thread is in the surgery forum at the top of things to have post op following surgery.

I am very happy for you that you have such a supporting spouse. It always so much easier knowing you will have someone to help you following the surgery. Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Look forward to reading more of your post and if there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • :) Well thank you all for such a warm welcome and your helpful advice. I have checked out the post-op must haves and I've begun a list to go shopping. I did already pick up a few things as I've been trying to plan ahead.
    It's the waiting and not knowing when the op will take place.
    My hubby and I work together (hubby is my foreman) in construction which is seasonal. We are both layed off right now and I was hoping to have had the surgery before our call back to work in late April, but things don't look good at the moment.
    My surgeon did say I would need 2-3 months recovery.
    He is also taking a piece of bone from my hip and putting metal plate and screws to fuse the spine. The rest of the information I gather I will get from the nurse at the pre-op apointment. They just don't give you a lot of time though from pre-op to the day of the surgery.
    Anyway I'm going to check out more of the web site here and gather more info that I will find useful. Thank you all again and take care of yourselves.
  • Welcome to the most supportive place on earth.
    You will find so many people who are walking encyclopedia's and lots more who are just the most caring people you'll find.
    If ever you're scared or need to vent, just post away there's always someone here for you.
    Also when you find out your surgery month, there's always a thread for people having surgery during that month and it's a great way to talk with people going through exactly what you are and know how you're feeling.
    Take care and see you around the forums.
  • I have a surgery date, March 29th I'm real nurvous now that I know it's only 2 wks away.
  • Good luck with the surgery. Make sure you check out the Post-op must have's thread
    You might want to join the April surgeries thread too, even though you are technically in March you are closer to April.
    All the best.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sorry to read about your upcoming surgery but look at it as a possible way to become pain free!! :D good luck on a speedy recovery. it will help to have your SH family nearby during your recovery.. =D> all the best to you! Jenny :)
  • Thank you for the positive thoughts and welcomes. I'm so glad I found this site. So many people here having the same and worse cases than myself. The post of "must haves" is very helpful indeed. I have managed over the last month to get many of the helpful items from the list that I'm sure will benefit me during my recovery. A big Thank You to all those who put this list together.
    I'm now going to get right at my spring cleaning so there's nothing to worry about after my op except to recover.
    Hopefully whatever damage that has been done to my spine will be better, and the feeling in my hands will be back to normal. I do know I won't be pain free but I should be able to get back to somewhat of a normal lifestyle and be able to go back to work.
    I hope everyone has a wonderful day and can enjoy the spring weather. Take care and thanks for being here.
  • My surgery date for March 29th has been cancelled due to an emergency case that came in. So, I'm on the waiting list again. My pre-op went very well on Thurs. The nurse was very helpful. I will only be in hospital overnight and will not need home-care, a coller, can eat whatever I want whenever I'm ready. Get up and walk as much as i can. It all sounds pretty straight forward. Now all I need is a date again and hope there won't be another cancellation.