Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro D surgery but no disc fragment... waste of time??

TonyDiscTTonyDisc Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Sorry this is a bit of a rephrase/repost.

I just had a posterior cervical micro D done, without fusion. The doc said he drilled a hole, went in and found no fragment, but after drilling the hole the nerve looked relaxed, and that was it.

My question is: If there was no disc fragment, then was there any benefit at all from the surgery? Im assuming there was no pressure left, so drilling a hole to free up the nerve would make no difference anyway?

• None of this is an exact science. Many times the surgeon finds things inside you that weren't on the films and sometimes things move around so they aren't where they are supposed to be.

I am assuming that the reason for the surgery is that there was something showing on your MRI. When the surgeon went it he didn't find it so it probably moved. As long as it isn't on the nerve you should be fine.

All you can do now is recover and see how you feel. What was the date of your surgery and what level? I had a posterior micro-d, etc on Jan 11th and I am doing pretty well now. Each day gets better.
  • if the films were a couple months old. Its possible the fragment had broken off and was dissolved by your body. Thats why I had 2 MRIs. 1 when my injury first occurred and another 2 months later. It showed no difference so I went ahead with my L4/L5 discectomy...