Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medical marijuana work for anyone? These painkillers don't do much for me.

scottymacsscottymac Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
I had my lat back surgery in dec 08 discectomy L4-L5 herniation. Ever since I have been in pain. I had another mri in June 09 in which my surgeon told me i had no disc issue. Goodbye! I then went to my chiropractor after being in months of pain not being able to do anything. After five minutes of him looking me over he said you have a severe broad based disc bulge at L5-S1. We ordered radiologist reports which confirmed his diagnosis. I have been going to pain clinic for last 5 months. With no progress. Injections, pain meds, nothing has worked. Started on Lortab, now on MS Contin. Really hasn't done much for pain or spasms. Having trouble sleeping. On Ultram, and Topomax also. Pain is shooting, stabbing, not really going down leg but having spasms in lower butt and upper thigh. Can't walk for more than 5 minutes, walk hunched over. Hurts to roll over in bed. Had an vertical MRI friday and seeing a new neuro tuesday to get re evaluated. I am so nervous that he will say the same thing my last surgeon said, that nothing is wrong. I haven't been able to work since my surgery in December 08. My pain clinic of course won't allow marijuana, but i did try some and with the pain meds it seemed to help me relax a lot more! And of course the week I tried it the next week I went in and they dropped me! LOL First time they dropped me in 5 months. It's been almost a month and I haven't gotten a letter or anything from them saying I tested positive. Anyway I live in Michigan who has medical marijuana and from what I understand I should be able to get it fairly easily. I have had two discectomy's with much pain still, trouble sleeping, spasms etc. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated or has this helped anyone, and how do you deal with the pain clinic? Thanks God Bless All!

• So then you are clear to keep seeing your pain management doctor I take it? I notice you say you are having issues with spasms, but don't see any muscle relaxers in the meds you listed. Is there a reason why they don't have you on a muscle relaxer? Myself personally don't have enough information one way or the other in using medical marijuana. But the thing I caution you on is if your doctors have issues with it and they stop your care what will you do for pain management? If it is legal in your state how about discussing it with your doctor? I do hope when you see the surgeon tomorrow they have some answers as to what is causing all of this pain. Hopefully this will be a mute point and they will find the pain source. I truly believe for any doctor to treat someone successfully they need to identify the pain generator in the beginning and know what it is doing. Keep us posted on how you get along with the surgeon.
  • I hope you get legal MMJ so you won't have to worry about getting pain medications. I agree with Tam about a muscle relaxant for the spasms. Good luck with your appointment. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Just as there are specific brain receptors through which opiates work, there are receptors for THC. Marijuana is both a good analgesic/muscle relaxant and has some anti-inflammatory function. Given that you will not experience the GI side effects frequently experienced with both of the above listed prescription product types, many people elect to use medical marijuana as an alternative. Unfortunately, marijuana medical recommendations are legal in only 14 States, and I would not suggest that you use it illegally in the other 36 States. Marinol, synthetic THC, is not as effective, it is expensive and is often denied by the insurance carrier.
This discussion has been closed.