Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

first post op checkup 1 week early

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having my first post op check up 1 week early due to all the coomplications I had in the hospital. Woke up feeling uneasy. I just hope and pray that everything is resolved and I get a clean bill of health. If anything new popped up, it would be crushing. I've been through so much, I long for good news. My appointment is at 9, I dread the car ride and the very long walk to his suite, I don't have a wheelchair.I wish it wasn't so soon, I don't feel ready. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks Shari

• Most doctors' offices have wheelchairs for patients use. Maybe you could call ahead and someone could run it down to the door for you??

I know how long the distances can seem with back problems or after surgery.

Sending positive thoughts your way -- and wishes for a great appointment.

xx Gwennie
  • Good luck.
    I'm with Gwennie. Call ahead and see if your husband or whowever is taking you can go in and borrow a wheelchair.

If not...just go slow.

Best wishes. I think it's good you are going early to be sure things are ok.
  • You know you have my prayer heading your way Just take it easy .Everything will work out for you.

((((((((((((((((((( >:D< ))))))))))))))0

• I'm praying for a pain-free trip and appointment filled with great news and new beginnings!
  • I just wanted to wish you luck on your appointment and hope you get great news. It's amazing how getting good news from your surgeon can change your outlook. I hope that the sun is shining on you today and that you leave your appointment with a big smile on your face.

Take care and let us know how it goes.
  • I hope the appointment went well and you are getting some rest now.

• Thinking of you and hoping that your appointment went well.
  • After all you've been through you overdue for some good news, hope the appointment went well and you got that wheelchair.
  • Hi Shari...I am praying for you and hope you are doing ok. I know we haven't heard from you in a few days but I'm still glad your doctor was being cautious to see you early.

Please know things will get better.

• I wonder if you had to be re-admitted? I hope you're doing better now. Post when you're able. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Thinking of you and hoping that all is going well with you.
  • Hi spiney friends! I have been MIA due to having a virus in my laptop that shut the darn thing down! But thanks to my hubby, My life line is back!

My post op went well. The steri strips were all removed from my insicions. I don't have any external insicions or staples. Still some scabs, so need a few more weeks for the insicions to fully heal.

I got to see my new x-rays. I have the finest looking disc space ever! There is so much room between L4-5 one could go swimmming there!

My surgeon is referring me to physical therapy. I didn't realize I would start so soon, but I am eager to!

The only bummer of the appointment is that the assistant seemed surprised regarding the amount of pain medication I have been taking. At the time, I hadn't even been home for a week. I take Narco 10 x2 every 4 hours. She made the blanket statement that most, at this point, are taking 1 Narco every 6 hours. I worked so hard the past 3 years taking minimal amounts of pain meds so that when I had the fusion, I would be able to take the pain meds I needed.

The good news is that my Pain Management Doc is now partnering with my surgeon. The surgeon generally just perscribes the initial script to go home from the hospital with and after that it is the PM. I have a great relationship with my PM doc and I have an appointment to see him on Mon. I feel confident we can identify a plan we are both happy with. I just have to get through on minimal amounts of meds until Mon

I have tried to stretch the meds out. I tried only taking one~that was aweful, I just cried. I tried to go longer than 4 hours and I can make it to 5 hours, but I am not as active. In my opinion, that defeates the purpose. I no longer wake each 4 hours through the night. I usually wake once to take pain meds, but I don't sleep as well. I hate that she made this statement to me. I know they are under a ton of pressure. Some personalities can just blow it off, but I struggle. Just a few more days until I see the PM. I just pray he will work with me.

I missed you all so much while I was without my computer. I was so worried about those I didn't get to wish well for their surgeries! Thanks so much all for your friendship and support. I can't imagine going through this without you all! Shari
  • I'm glad you're ok, we were starting to get worried.
    Sounds like the surgeon at least did what he set out to do, now it's just time and patience.
    I hope you PM can get your pain under control.
  • Sounds like you are doing great. Glas appt went well and things are looking good. Just make sure to rest, walk and dont sit for more than to eat or restroom. I hope that each day finds you better than the one before. But naughty me, I always say dont look at progress day to day, but Dr appt to Dr appt. SO anyway, Glad to see you are doing well, and hope it continues for you!
    And the computer thing, I understand. If not for my laptop, the world would end for me :) Heres a soft hug, and take care, >:D< Robin

• Sounds like mostly your appointment went well and that your recovery is going well.
    I wondered if the amount of pain meds that this lady was quoting that most people take, was for people who are a week further on from surgery than you (as that is generally when they have the first post op checkup.)

You had a very rough ride at the beginning, so that may also have something to do with it. Try not to feel too deflated by that comment. Down the line you will be the same as others, but this is still very early days for you.

You take care and keep resting and little walks
  • Shari...I agree with JellyHall. It seems the nurse may have been overlooking the rough time you had at the hospital and how you were seeing them early.

Do not stress out about it. Ask your PM doctor about it but until then, manage your pain.

So glad the appointment went well. I am also glad it was just your laptop out of commission and not you. So pleased that the appointment gave you something to smile about after the rough few weeks.

I know it's tough to measure day to day but I also hope each day brings you more happiness, less pain, and more comfort. But if not, remember, it's the dr. appt to dr. appt.

Congrats to overcoming another milestone! This one seemed to go much better than the 1st!